Customer Service 866.965.0400

Stubborn Scratches

slalom38

Question

I'm working on a metallic black relatively new car.  It has some surface scratches that aren't deep enough to catch my nail on, but I can't polish them out using the orange pad with a SK and adams correcting polish.  I'm reluctant to go more aggressive on the polish, but would a microfiber pad on the SK give me just a bit more cut?

3 answers to this question

Yeah it definitely would. I would try an inconspicuous area first and then see what comes of it. I usually don't even bother using the orange pad TBH, I know that's wrong but that cut on the MF does work. If the damage is a little better after the orange pad and correcting polish, you can always deviate and consider trying a tougher pad (blue foam) with the correcting polish or maybe the orange pad with the blue polish. Hopefully someone with more experience in that area will pipe up. 

:iagree: (except I do use the orange pad)

I'm probably not more experienced, but I would also add to make sure you go all four directions...back, forth, and side to side...taking it slowly as you go. Watch Adam's video on paint correction, if you haven't already, for some additional pointers and "timing" he uses. http://adamspolishes.com/video

The Microfiber pad will definitely bump up the aggressiveness of the polish. I tested the orange pad and Correcting polish on 3000 grit sand marks and it was taking forever. Same polish on a Microfiber pad and it took the sanding marks out pretty quick and finished down almost perfect. Those two combined kind of equal out to a less aggressive method than a heavy compound and MF pad. Yet still aggressive enough to take out scratches and such.