Customer Service 866.965.0400

Does this sound right?

IAcamoprincess01

Question

So I washed my car the other day and it has been nicely tucked away in the garage..haven't drove it since. Now my question is this weekend I want to put on liquid paint sealant...so would it be okay to clay it since its clean using the detail spray (I'm thinking this will also get rid of any light dust that has accumulated) and then do I have to wipe up the residue of the clay or can I go straight to the paint sealant and buff it away with a microfiber towel? Also thinking of adding a layer of brilliant glaze afterward.

When I washed it I just used the red car shampoo...don't know if it makes a difference what soap I used for the prior.

Thanks in advance

6 answers to this question

I would at least wipe down the car with detail spray before claying. Ive noticed even inside my garage the car still gets a little dusty. Depending on how long its been sitting.

As far as washing after claying, a lot of people do that in order to remove any last residue from the claybar. Others just dry immediately with a clean microfiber so theres no need to re-wash. I guess its just a matter of your claybar process and preference

Hi Cheyenne! 

I would definitely recommend to wipe up the Detail Spray residue left behind by the clay before applying Paint Sealant, as the Paint Sealant will bond best to the clean surface, and the liquid from the Detail Spray may not let the Paint Sealant haze up properly.

I usually let Paint Sealant haze up for about 10-15 minutes before removal with a plush microfiber towel, preferably indoors or in the shade. It's one of a few products of our products that seems to wipe off a little more easily if I let it set up a little longer. 

You can add a layer of Brilliant Glaze afterward, but I do like to wait at least an hour after removing the Paint Sealant before layering anything on top of it. By the time you've sealed the whole car, it will probably be close to an hour since you sealed the first panel anyway :)

Using our red Throwback Shampoo or the blue Car Shampoo won't make any difference since they're fairly close formulas to each other  :thumbsup:

Please let us know if you have any other questions!

I would at least wipe down the car with detail spray before claying. Ive noticed even inside my garage the car still gets a little dusty. Depending on how long its been sitting.

As far as washing after claying, a lot of people do that in order to remove any last residue from the claybar. Others just dry immediately with a clean microfiber so theres no need to re-wash. I guess its just a matter of your claybar process and preference

Thank you for the help :)

Hi Cheyenne! 

I would definitely recommend to wipe up the Detail Spray residue left behind by the clay before applying Paint Sealant, as the Paint Sealant will bond best to the clean surface, and the liquid from the Detail Spray may not let the Paint Sealant haze up properly.

I usually let Paint Sealant haze up for about 10-15 minutes before removal with a plush microfiber towel, preferably indoors or in the shade. It's one of a few products of our products that seems to wipe off a little more easily if I let it set up a little longer. 

You can add a layer of Brilliant Glaze afterward, but I do like to wait at least an hour after removing the Paint Sealant before layering anything on top of it. By the time you've sealed the whole car, it will probably be close to an hour since you sealed the first panel anyway :)

Using our red Throwback Shampoo or the blue Car Shampoo won't make any difference since they're fairly close formulas to each other  :thumbsup:

Please let us know if you have any other questions!

Thanks for the quick reply :) so just so I get this straight

1. clay car using detail spray

2. wipe up residue with more detail spray or water or ?

3. apply sealant and let haze before removing

4. wait at least one hour before apply brilliant glaze

Thanks for the quick reply :) so just so I get this straight

1. clay car using detail spray

2. wipe up residue with more detail spray or water or ?

3. apply sealant and let haze before removing

4. wait at least one hour before apply brilliant glaze

I would wipe down the car with DS or WW first, because it will have light dust that you don't want in the clay bar. Then I would clay, use DS or WW as a clay lube, and I have let the DS streaked on the car before and applied sealant, or you could just clay a spot like half the hood, and wipe the residue, and do the whole car like that. Apply the sealant and let it haze and then buff off. I don't usually wait an hour before applying brilliant glaze, but like dan said, it will probably be an hour by the time you are done doing the whole car.

I would wipe down the car with DS or WW first, because it will have light dust that you don't want in the clay bar. Then I would clay, use DS or WW as a clay lube, and I have let the DS streaked on the car before and applied sealant, or you could just clay a spot like half the hood, and wipe the residue, and do the whole car like that. Apply the sealant and let it haze and then buff off. I don't usually wait an hour before applying brilliant glaze, but like dan said, it will probably be an hour by the time you are done doing the whole car.

Sounds good...just wanted to make sure I had it right.

Thanks everybody for the help! :)