Customer Service 866.965.0400

What type of tape do you use for marking off sections when polishing

Jheeman

Question

I'm patiently waiting for my swirl killer to come in so I can take a crack at correcting the swirls. I see the videos where everyone marks off sections with tape. What type of tape does everyone use, and where do you typically purchase it?

12 answers to this question

It's important to note that you should be scrubbing all your plastic, vinyl, and rubber trim PRIOR to attempting to tape it off. Tape does not stick well to things recently treated with VRT;)

Thank you, sounds like a great tip there :)

Is the 3m automotive tape any better than the regular blue painters tape? Ive used blue tape before and it doesnt last long when wet sanding because it gets wet. I wonder if 3m is better or if it even makes a difference.

Is the 3m automotive tape any better than the regular blue painters tape? Ive used blue tape before and it doesnt last long when wet sanding because it gets wet. I wonder if 3m is better or if it even makes a difference.

I used 3M blue painters tape while wet sanding yesterday and it held up fine for me.  

I wish I had used MORE tape while I was originally sanding the headlights, and I would not have needed to wet sand yesterday! 

Just bought some of this havent tried it but heard it is real good low adhesive too.

Do NOT use that, or any other tape with chemical edge additives designed to react with moisture to form a barrier and prevent 'bleed' when painting (e.g., Edge-Lock, FrogTape, etc)!  

Look no further than here for all you need to know about tape.

While Adam's doesn't carry the tape any more, here's what to look for:

• Super low tac adhesive for delicate surfaces
  • No chemical edge additives that can stain trim or paint
  • Coated outside to remain slick under abrasion from polishing
  • Reusable after multiple applications
  • Semi-transparent on contact to make masking easier

Good link Norton (Steve).  I recommend everyone reads that.