Customer Service 866.965.0400

Microfiber pad

jareds941

Question

In this video www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JvhrbzLTBM Adam uses a black/orange microfiber with the orange correcting polish and then follows up with the orange foam. 

When I go to the site, I don't see an orange microfiber option. Only a blue one which appears to be ideally used with the blue, correcting polish.

I'm a relative noob here. I have a Porter Cable and I've done a full detail before...but not very confident in the polishing part and I'm not certain what exact pads I have so I'm going to "start over" on that and go with the Adams setup. But I need a bit of help understanding what exactly that is since the videos (which are super helpful) don't match the products for sale on the site. Cars are 14 and 16 and in pretty good shape...so I don't plan to purchase the blue correcting polish. 

Thanks in advance. 

Edited by jareds941

Jared you're not a knob, were here to help. When the video was made the pads were a different color. Now pads correspond to the product color the blue polish is used with the blue pad and white with you guessed it white polish. Adams makes it so simple my dad enjoys a free detail and says I don't work hard enough with two jobs lol. Anyways everything is easy to use and you'll do just fine. Want to know more ask away.

You're Welcome in Advance

Edited by ocdrifter

Agree with Joe as stated above, if anything I'm a newbie having never done any paint correction. The microfiber pads and heavy blue compound is for more serious scratches and swirls, if your car is newer and just has some swirls, I would recommend getting the correcting polish, and finish polish, with the orange and white foam pads.

Also, the Adams customer service team is awesome, just because you might not see that combo available, you can call and ask them to swap the blue heavy compound for the orange correcting polish. They did for me when I purchased my swirl killer.

Adams definitely makes things easier and it's why I love them, I've looked at different polishers and products, but it's exhausting sometimes. Almost everyone also will tell you, start with the least aggressive method, on a small section to figure out how much it will take to correct it. Definitely ask questions though here if not sure, all of the pros here are super awesome and helpful!

The orange CP corresponds with the orange foam pad, and like you posted and others mentioned above, the discontinued orange/black MF cutting pad. The blue HCC is ideally suited for the blue foam and blue/white MF cutting pad. As Joe said, color coordinated.

All that said, you can use the orange CP with the new blue/white MF cutting pad, it just won't be as aggressive as if using it with the HCC. Think of that as an "in between" solution, and one that will perform similarly to as if you had the orange/black pad.

Thanks everyone. Appreciate the kind response here!

I will go with Orange pad. I don't think the vehicles will require any serious corrections or warrant the blue. 

In terms of the white finishing step...for someone that isn't interested in PERFECTION my plan was to skip that final correction and go on to the Gray pad and sealant. 

The simple color approach + videos are definitely why I'm giving it another go with polishing. I have several pads already, but they aren't branded I don't believe and I'm just not sure what they are exactly. Love the simplicity of the Adam's system...hopefully I'll love the results too!

The finishing polish adds shine, depth, and clarity to a finish (really nice on black cars). But Adams system is advertised as a 1 step correcting polish. Good luck! Post pictures of the results!

Thanks everyone. Appreciate the kind response here!

I will go with Orange pad. I don't think the vehicles will require any serious corrections or warrant the blue. 

In terms of the white finishing step...for someone that isn't interested in PERFECTION my plan was to skip that final correction and go on to the Gray pad and sealant. 

The simple color approach + videos are definitely why I'm giving it another go with polishing. I have several pads already, but they aren't branded I don't believe and I'm just not sure what they are exactly. Love the simplicity of the Adam's system...hopefully I'll love the results too!

If you decide to 'one step' the process I recommend a slight change in the steps.  Do 4 'movement' passes (up-down, side-to-side, up-down, side-to-side) at a speed 5 or 6, using medium to heavy pressure on the PC.  Then slow the machine down to 2-3 and do 2 more 'movement' passes with lighter pressure - this will 'finish' the polishing a little.  Not the same as doing a 2nd finishing polish step, but it saves a lot of time!   

If you decide to 'one step' the process I recommend a slight change in the steps.  Do 4 'movement' passes (up-down, side-to-side, up-down, side-to-side) at a speed 5 or 6, using medium to heavy pressure on the PC.  Then slow the machine down to 2-3 and do 2 more 'movement' passes with lighter pressure - this will 'finish' the polishing a little.  Not the same as doing a 2nd finishing polish step, but it saves a lot of time!   

I too have a PC and tried a one step correction over last weekend. I had a spot of difficulty with the correcting polish "drying" before the end of the second pass. I was using the last formula not the newest with the orange microfiber pad. I tried reactivating it with detail spray to prolong the polishing cycle but that seemed like an improper solution. 

The paint correction may have returned 65-70% defect removal but I feel I can do better. Any suggestions for a more efficient approach?

I too have a PC and tried a one step correction over last weekend. I had a spot of difficulty with the correcting polish "drying" before the end of the second pass. I was using the last formula not the newest with the orange microfiber pad. I tried reactivating it with detail spray to prolong the polishing cycle but that seemed like an improper solution. 

The paint correction may have returned 65-70% defect removal but I feel I can do better. Any suggestions for a more efficient approach?

If the polish is drying before you get to the 5th or 6th 'movement' pass, it could be caused by a high air temp.  Try working an area smaller than the "standard" 2 ft. x 2 ft. section.   Probably not more efficient, but you have to weigh that against the level of shine you want.  

Butythe new formula. The last formula sucks in my opinion. The new formula is great!

Edited by Ls1transam

You getting lazy on me Chris?

I think he's losing some of his shine-freakness! :o

On the contrary...I just didn't have the FP before. It's now waiting patiently for my next detail session(s) in the coming weeks. Standby for the SHINE! B)

By the way, when did the CP formula change? The bottle I have is from last summer.

On the contrary...I just didn't have the FP before. It's now waiting patiently for my next detail session(s) in the coming weeks. Standby for the SHINE! B)

By the way, when did the CP formula change? The bottle I have is from last summer.

It changed something this winter, maybe November?

Thanks! With the 4 move pass to the 2 move pass, am I wiping the area and re-applying some correcting polish between 4 to 2?

The settings are super helpful for my PC, so thanks for that! When you say medium to heavy pressure: I'm assuming Heavy is close to as much as you can and still keep the polisher moving, correct? 

Is a "Father's Day Sale" something that is likely to happen? I know I just missed a great Memorial Day Sale...really hoping a Father's Day Sale is on the near horizon! 

Thanks! With the 4 move pass to the 2 move pass, am I wiping the area and re-applying some correcting polish between 4 to 2?

The settings are super helpful for my PC, so thanks for that! When you say medium to heavy pressure: I'm assuming Heavy is close to as much as you can and still keep the polisher moving, correct? 

6 total 'movement' passes, no additional product - 4 med-high pressure/high speed, followed by 2 low pressure/low speed.  You are working the product already on the pad/panel.  If you have dried up the polish during the first 4 passes, spritz the pad with DS or distilled water for the last 2 passes.   

Correct on the pressure, keep the pad spinning.  Put a line on the backing plate with a marker so you can see it move.

And with MF pads, be sure to 'prime' or 'butter' the pads with polish before the first use, and to clean with a pad brush or air after each section.  Another tip, if you can rotate 2 pads, swapping after each section, it will help keep the pads from getting too hot (and possibly melting the hook-and-loop...ask me how I know!).

Check out this write-up  - Civic detail - kinda of a tutorial.  

Is a "Father's Day Sale" something that is likely to happen? I know I just missed a great Memorial Day Sale...really hoping a Father's Day Sale is on the near horizon!

Quick tip - make a small mark on the back of your pad, e.g. black line. That will allow you to tell quickly if the pad is moving or if it's stuck, and also as a way to adjust pressure accordingly. Can be hard to tell sometimes.

Sales happen all through the year, and I'd guess Fathers Day is a prime opportunity for another (I joined the Adam's addiction last summer, post Fathers day, so can't fully vouch). You can always use the forum code "shine on" for 10% off, too.

So it looks like there is a Father's Day sale, so I'm definitely going to be buying some polish and sealant ASAP.

When I went and looked in the garage, I discovered I had a bunch of 6.5" Uber pads from Detailer's Domain, brand new in the wrapping.

Sooo, I come here to ask how to use them to save a bit of money on buying new Adam's pads. I'll still be buying the Orange Polish and the Gray Sealant.

Please let me know what you all think. 

From what I can tell, the Orange is the roughly equivalent to the Adam's Blue. The Green is roughly equivalent to the Adam's Orange. The Black matches with the Adam's Gray. 

Would the tips and directions above hold true with these pads? Is the 6.5" size, paired with the 5" backing plate on my Porter Cable OK? 

Thanks so much!!! 

AFC99D00-EB10-4DBF-9848-59C7B8932D78.jpg

7C2889C1-2688-48AB-AB42-DD280294A925.jpg

Throw them out and buy new adams pads

Is this just a "fan-boi" sort of comment or are they ACTUALLY bad pads to use? Reviews on the site are solid. I placed my order yesterday for correcting polish, sealant, new clay bar and some car wash. Planning to use these pads since I have at least 2 of each, brand new. 

Keep them, they are solid, if you don't want them I'll take them off your hands!

Is this just a "fan-boi" sort of comment or are they ACTUALLY bad pads to use? Reviews on the site are solid. I placed my order yesterday for correcting polish, sealant, new clay bar and some car wash. Planning to use these pads since I have at least 2 of each, brand new.