Customer Service 866.965.0400

Finally have a garage! Need new lighting

Ekim716

Question

Hey guys, so I finally have a house with a garage and the car will actually fit inside! Exciting right? Anyway, I might have a go at polishing out swirls for the first time this summer with a SK. Right now the garage has an 8ft over head light fixture with 4 long bulbs. not very bright but better than some standard bulbs. I might try to by a second fixture, similar in size and type to out near the back of the garage.

Do you guys like that particular style of lighting for correcting? are there better options for similar prices? 

Pictures of your setups would help tremendously! Thanks! 

18 answers to this question

There may be better options specifically to detailing (will let more experienced chime in on that), but these lights are great and have been very effective in my garage for lighting. 

https://www.costco.com/Feit-Electric-4%e2%80%99-Linkable-LED-Shop-Light-with-Pull-Chain%2c-2-pack.product.100284402.html

Linkable LED like the Feit mentioned have become rather popular. I plan to replace the poor lighting in my garage with them.

Feit lights are widely available. Their reputation for reliability seems not so good. A friend of mine owns a commercial lighting company. He felt commercial quality like he uses would break my bank, but that something like Lithonia would be a good choice.

I'm looking to replace my 2 flourescent fixtures (1 is on the fritz) with 2 or 4 of these LED versions.

The flourescent fixtures are flush mounted to the ceiling with wiring all hidden running to a switch inside the house by the garage/kitchen door.

Any experts here on that?

These are linkable and can be flushmounted, but the cord comes out the end, not back, so it doesn't really look plug n play.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MS3X0IR/ref=psdc_5772194011_t1_B012ENR3ZK

I really like the idea of mounting 2 of these in place of my existing fixtures. Then if I decide I want more light, I'll just get 2 more and link one to each of the new ones without having to deal with any more wiring.

I picked up some 4' long LED overhead garage lights at Sam's Club for around $30 each. They work great.  I replaced all of my fluorescents with them and the garage is nice and bright now. Just your standard 20 X 40 garage.  I have 3 in there now.

I picked up some 4' long LED overhead garage lights at Sam's Club for around $30 each. They work great.  I replaced all of my fluorescents with them and the garage is nice and bright now. Just your standard 20 X 40 garage.  I have 3 in there now.

Yeah, Im leaning toward something like this. Do you know the "color temperature" and lumen output?

While good garage lighting is important, your best bet for correcting may not be an overhead light.  Rupes Global Director of Training recommends having the light at a 45 degree angle to the work.  You may want to look into inexpensive LED light sources for corrections.  Here is a thread I wrote on an build - DIY LED light build.    

Edited by mc2hill

Just too add, Adams swirl flashlight or a Rupes pen light are also great to have. Pretend you are on the side of the car, look from the back of the car toward the front, while holding your hand all the way out with the light facing toward you and the panel, so you can see the angle, discovering more swirls and scratches. Hopefully that explanation made sense lol.

That swirl light is one of my best purchases.  Perfect for seeing those hard places at the bottoms of our rides where overhead lights just can't hit.  

Check out Hyperikon LED lighting. I have their LED lighting/bulbs for garage, outside lights and for every room inside the house.  Amazon sells a 4 pack of 4ft fixtures for $52.95, which is a great price. I have 4 of these in my garage (more on the way), I purchased the Crystal White Glow (5000k). Super bright (2200lm) and only 22w. Pretty neat how you can link them together with the linkable cords, allowing you to run them all off of 1 outlet, if you actually wanted to.

https://www.amazon.com/Hyperikon-Integrated-Fixture-Basement-Included/dp/B012ENR1IE/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1496839777&sr=8-8&keywords=hyperikon+4ft

Edited by SJC96GT

While good garage lighting is important, your best bet for correcting may not be an overhead light.  Rupes Global Director of Training recommends having the light at a 45 degree angle to the work.  You may want to look into inexpensive LED light sources for corrections.  Here is a thread I wrote on an build - DIY LED light build.    

I have a few stands very similar to these lights and we us them all the time.  Not expensive and blows away lighting that can be done for an entire room.  Worth doing!