Customer Service 866.965.0400

Ceramic coating

2012srt8

Question

I just got a 2017 Dodge Ram and wanna ceramic coat it. I made the sure the truck was not washed by the dealer. It has no swirls on it just a couple of scuffs and a small scratch im going to quickly polish out. My question is can I just wash the truck,clay it and start the coating process with out doing any polishing or should I at least do the finish polish on it?

10 answers to this question

​The most critical thing to know and remember with a coating is that the prep work is what makes the paint have depth, and gloss.

The coating is the final step to keep it protected and looking that way for a long time!

​If you are going to "quickly polish out" a scratch and scuff, I would spend the additional time with at least Finishing Polish to really make it shine.

Just my opinion..................... no shortcuts to perfection. 

Polish it to get the most shine and depth.

Even though you can't see swirls or scratches, there will be micro-scratching that can't be seen with even the best eyesight, and this reduces the amount of shine and depth.

Polishing out these micro-scratches will give you more shine.  I know this because I saw the difference it made on my truck.  First two major details, no polishing, and layered with PS + Brilliant Glaze + Americana Paste Wax.  Third detail, two-step correction, and way more shine.  And this was with only a coat of PS, no glaze or wax like I used previously.

For me personally, if I'm claying a vehicle, I'm polishing after clay - whether it be a light hand polish with Revive Hand Polish, a light machine polish with Finishing Polish and a White Foam Pad, or a full paint correction with Heavy Correcting Compound and Correcting Polish, but I do almost always polish the surface after claying on customer cars, because they will typically need it.

Our latest formula Finishing Polish from back in November of last year has a small amount of SiO2 ceramic in it that is a great prep step for applying our Ceramic Paint Coating, or for doing a light polish on the coating if you would ever happen to get any scratches in the coating.

Our latest formula Finishing Polish from back in November of last year has a small amount of SiO2 ceramic in it that is a great prep step for applying our Ceramic Paint Coating, or for doing a light polish on the coating if you would ever happen to get any scratches in the coating.

:2thumbs:  THANK YOU for that information Dan, related to possibly "touching up" a coating! Very valuable information!