Customer Service 866.965.0400

Microfibers 'stick' to paint, leave lint

dyn0mitemat

Question

Hey guys,

I've have a nice collection of adam's microfibers, and they've been good to me over the last few years. Slowly I've noticed most of my towels would start 'sticking' , if thats the right word for it, to the paint. Say you take a single soft mf and put the weight of your hand on it, mist a panel with detail spray, and the towel wants to stick and jerk and not slide nicely over it. You have to actually 'pull' the towel across the surfaces as if it were a squeege almost, and if you get it in the light right you'll see tiny bits of lint or fibers left behind.

I've had this happen with almost all of my towels now over the past year. I always washed them with the free & gentle liquid detergent on warm (as was prev. recommended) and have picked up a bottle of adams mf rejuvenator that I've slowly been switching to as well (I'll go back to the other one if I'm out of adams rejuv). I always dry on cool or hang dry if its a nicer day.

I started noticing this last summer, and after some reading I thought it was wax or polishing compound building up in everything causing this. So I tried adding vinegar to the wash cycle a few times, didn't seem to make any difference. I then tried soaking 5-10 towels in boiling water, and it didn't seem to help those towels either, maybe I just did it wrong, not sure.

So I assumed the towels were just getting old, and started buying new ones. My oldest adam's towels are probably 3-4 years old, and I'd assume washed maybe 30 times or so. 

So I thought everything was fine and dandy, just had old towels that needed replaced.

But what really got me thinking something in my routine is off, is I just picked up 5 of the new glass towels ( These ) just a month or so ago, and I've washed them maybe 3-4 times and they're starting to do the same thing. I'm at a loss here guys, any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks

-Mat

8 answers to this question

I'll give it a shot. I just corrected (orange and then white compounds/pads) and ceramic coated the car all of a few weeks ago, Just washed it and noticed this when I went to dry and wipe the glass down.

I'll clay a few panels and see where it gets me.

You should also try boiling your micros, followed by a wash with microfiber revitalizer and then toss them in the dryer on low heat to take care of any lint left behind.  The problem may be with the towels and not the surface of your vehicle.

Thanks guys, I'll give that a try Rich.

Didn't seem to make any difference claying. The roof passed the plastic bag test, I clayed anyway, and then still had same problem with 2 single soft's and a double soft. 

I have some other brand towels here I decided to give a try (they're a microfiber waffle weave pluffle) and they seem normal so I'm pretty sure its these towels or my washing technique. 

Would me having hard water have any irregular effects on washing? I have a water softener system that filters most of the stuff out of the water for me, I'm wondering if that has anything to do with the towels doing this. 

Ive had that happen too on my car. Ive noticed it happens when the car has been on the sun all day. I just use lighter pressure when wiping or a little extra spray. Ive noticed that mostly on single soft and specially double soft towels. I think since they are pretty thick, its just part of their nature. Ive since switched to the old edgeless they used to sell and dont suffer that problem anymore.