Customer Service 866.965.0400

Headlight scuff

Coderedpl

Question

So I had a bit of an incident which resulted in my headlight getting scuffed on my bike today. Now I tried to get the scuffs taken care of via white/orange microfiber pads, on a drill, and I got quite a bit of an improvement, but it seems like i reached a level where I'm not getting much more done. 

Any ideas? 

post-4469-0-69580400-1498101136_thumb.jpgpost-4469-0-49275500-1498101138_thumb.jpg

10 answers to this question

That looks like itll have to be wetsanded. If it feels deep with your fingernail then you might want to try 800 grit or even a very gentle pass with 400 grit, and work your way up to 2000. Then either spray paint with a 2k clearcoat, or adams headlight restore kit can then finish it up to make it nice and clear again. Luckily it wasnt the paint tho.

That looks like itll have to be wetsanded. If it feels deep with your fingernail then you might want to try 800 grit or even a very gentle pass with 400 grit, and work your way up to 2000. Then either spray paint with a 2k clearcoat, or adams headlight restore kit can then finish it up to make it nice and clear again. Luckily it wasnt the paint tho.

Hmm, not a fan of wet sanding but might just have to suck it up and do it. 

Paint got touched a bit too, you can see a bit on the pics but luckily not as bad as it could have been. 

Hmm, not a fan of wet sanding but might just have to suck it up and do it. 

Paint got touched a bit too, you can see a bit on the pics but luckily not as bad as it could have been. 

oh yeah i just saw where the paint got scuffed. Good thing its barely noticeable. 

Heres a thread I made not too long, correcting my headlights. Its a lot of elbow grease, but mine were pretty bad. Maybe you can get away with less sanding. 

oh yeah i just saw where the paint got scuffed. Good thing its barely noticeable.

Heres a thread I made not too long, correcting my headlights. Its a lot of elbow grease, but mine were pretty bad. Maybe you can get away with less sanding.

That's pretty damn good! Maybe I'll look into the kit for myself now, just sucks that I would only need it for 1 application.

Anyone know if you can use the kit to sand down on some of the rock chips on headlights or is it more for hazing?

I have nothing to add other than I hope you're in better shape than the bike. Assuming so, hope you continue to get some good advice on correcting the issues.

Thank you for asking, I'm totally fine, absolutely nothing happened to me.

Anyone know if you can use the kit to sand down on some of the rock chips on headlights or is it more for hazing?

Thank you for asking, I'm totally fine, absolutely nothing happened to me.

You mean using the drill and backing plate with some sand paper to wet sand the headlight? Im pretty sure you can. You can buy round sand paper pads with velcro in the back, and use that to wet sand the headlights first. The only thing is, I wouldnt start with a deep grit with a drill. It might be harder to control and you might end up putting more pressure and causing deeper scratches. Maybe you can do the first pass by hand, and the rest with the drill.

You mean using the drill and backing plate with some sand paper to wet sand the headlight? Im pretty sure you can. You can buy round sand paper pads with velcro in the back, and use that to wet sand the headlights first. The only thing is, I wouldnt start with a deep grit with a drill. It might be harder to control and you might end up putting more pressure and causing deeper scratches. Maybe you can do the first pass by hand, and the rest with the drill.

The headlight kit acts like a mini buffer, for removing scratches, marks, paint scuffs, head light restoration, etc. You could use it for any of those. Just definitely do not put sandpaper on the drill and wet sand that way, bad idea, I see some bad stuff happening there.

Edited by Nathan

The headlight kit acts like a mini buffer, for removing scratches, marks, paint scuffs, head light restoration, etc. You could use it for any of those. Just definitely do not put sandpaper on the drill and wet sand that way, bad idea, I see some bad stuff happening there.

Theres a few sand paper pads used for drills and wet sanding. Ive actually used a couple before and its pretty safe. 3M makes a kit that uses sanding pads for the drill. That one starts with p800 grit. You probably dont want to start with anything deeper than that.

Theres a few sand paper pads used for drills and wet sanding. Ive actually used a couple before and its pretty safe. 3M makes a kit that uses sanding pads for the drill. That one starts with p800 grit. You probably dont want to start with anything deeper than that.

I recommend he does not use the drill to wetsand because he doesn’t like wet sanding already as he mentioned above ^^