Customer Service 866.965.0400

NEW Heavy Correcting Compound - Chemicals seperating

ax023

Question

Hey guys.

So this is mostly as an FYI/heads up for all of you, because I found my own solution to my problem.

I started using the Heavy Correcting Coumpound along with the blue cutting pad. I live in AZ, so right now, summers are average 110-115 degrees outside, and I dont have a garage, so I have to polish in panels over multiple days after the sun sets (which by then it's around 95-100 degrees).

I did the passenger door and the front right fender the first day with no problem.

The second day though, I got the compound from a shed on my backyard and I noticed that the chemicals had seperated, into a blue thick liquid sitting at the bottom and a clear thin liquid sitting at the top. So I thought "no prob, it probably just needs a shake". But no matter how much I shook, the chemicals didn't mix and you can't use it like that because all the thick blue liquid will come out first while the clear liquid will sit at the top.

I thought the bottle had gone bad and I wasn't gonna be able to use it anymore but since I never read anything about "keep out of extreme temperatures" I was gonna call Adam's the following day. Although, I don't really consider 95 degrees as extreme for chemicals to start seperating. Usually when bottles have this warning, they're referring to high temperatures like 150+ degrees. 

So I thought about putting in the refridgerator, and sure enough, after just a few mins, the chemicals started mixing again. I decided to store the bottle indoors that night.

The following day I continued, but after one panel, the chemicals started seperating again.

Now my solution is, since I've doing a few panels each day, I have a bigger container filled with icy water and I put the correcting compound bottle inside the bowl. This seems to be working for me. But maybe Adam's should make some mention on this.

7 answers to this question

I had the exact same problem myself with the Heavy Correcting Compound inside the headlight restoration kit.

When I first got the kit, I tried it out and it was perfect. It was similar weather to you, probably about 110ish or so. This last week was hotter at over 120 degrees. 

So a few days later, I tried using it again, and it had also separated into the clay looking material and oil. Shaking wouldnt help, so I called adams the following business day, and they were nice enough to send me a new one. I still havent had a chance to use the new one, so I still have it indoors. 

Luckily I didnt throw out the old one because I was going to keep the bottle for something else, but im going to try and bring it indoors tonight, and report back tomorrow after work to see if it works again. 

I thought it was defective because the finishing polish was stored inside the same cabinet, along with all my adams chemicals including Correcting compound, buttery wax, brilliant glaze, VRT, paint sealant, H2O guard n gloss, etc.... except for americana which is indoors.

But ive never had an issue with any product going bad from the heat. Not even other brands. Hopefully theres an updated version so I dont have to keep any more chemicals indoors.

Heres a pic I sent adams. Its kinda hard to tell, but if you click on it you can kinda see the oil line.

post-12499-0-34440900-1498544432_thumb.jpg

Hey guys, sorry to see you're having issues with the Heavy Correcting Compound.

We do state here on the forum that prolonged exposure to high heat or freezing cold temps can affect lifespan of some products drastically.

The rule of thumb is to keep all of our chemicals stored in a room temperature environment if possible, with the exception of Americana Paste Wax and Patriot Wax, which you can refrigerate. If your storage area dips below 45 F or above 85 F, move the chemicals indoors into a more suitable environment. This is why I don't keep always keep full bottles in my car during the hot summer either - I travel with some spare bottles that I have and only fill them about half-way so that I don't end up losing a full 16oz of product if it's super hot outside.

Axel, if your bottle continues to give problems, please email us to orders @ adamspolishes . com (no spaces), referencing your order number and we'll help you out no problem.

http://www.adamsforums.com/topic/17083-faq-do-the-products-have-a-shelf-life/

Respectfully,

Dan@Adams

Only one bottle of heavy correcting compound separated in the last 4 years ive been using adams products. I think its safe to say they can withstand these temperatures pretty well. I might just have to bring in this particular bottle indoors.

ONCE ..I  had to throw away a few bottles of product because I forgot about them in my garage when it went up to 100 degrees. 

The product was pretty much blobs of crap so my lost and lesson learned to not forget about bringing in my products after a long day of detailing.