Customer Service 866.965.0400

Red LED Uncovers Hidden Scratches???

estecoca

Question

Do red LED bulbs work well to highlight surface scratches???

Here's the story. I was taking pics of my work while I removed the BSG residue. All was going well and I was super happy with my results (I had previously used the PC with Gen 2 pads to remove minor swirls, polish, wax). I moved in close for a pic and the red light (not sure what purpose it serves) on the camera was reflecting off the hood in such a way that I could see - as plain as day - some webbing. Here's the kicker: under no circumstances could I see those scratches without the red light from the camera. I tried haolgen light, conventional, you name it. It was like there was nothing but perfect paint there until I hit it with the red light...

I tested my find with the red LED on my "headlight" unit:

rayovac3n1.jpg

It seems to work really well! I was able to see lots of scratches that I had never seen before.

Although, I would have liked to keep on believing I had a perfect finish...

Can anyone confirm/disprove this?

9 answers to this question

Red light is low in the visible spectrum, so it's not going to bounce off of the clear coat as much as other colors like white or yellow (red light doesn't "shine" like other colors). But, since the coat is reflective and shiny, it has no choice but to bounce...something...back at you. Since the fine scratches are rough...not smooth like the rest of the coat - they'll absorb significantly more of that red light than the rest of the car. So in essence, what the red light is doing is further highlighting the contrast between smooth, light reflecting clear coat and rough, light absorbing scratches.

burgundyscienceto8.jpg

Red light is low in the visible spectrum, so it's not going to bounce off of the clear coat as much as other colors like white or yellow (red light doesn't "shine" like other colors). But, since the coat is reflective and shiny, it has no choice but to bounce...something...back at you. Since the fine scratches are rough...not smooth like the rest of the coat - they'll absorb significantly more of that red light than the rest of the car. So in essence, what the red light is doing is further highlighting the contrast between smooth, light reflecting clear coat and rough, light absorbing scratches.

burgundyscienceto8.jpg

And here I was thinking it was magic :lolsmack:

I love that science stuff :rockon::rockon::rockon:

I read an interesting post on another forum, where someone showed how a sun gun can reveal defects that halogen bulbs do not.

So I think if you are really concerned you could bring the car out into the sunlight and possibly see more defects(of course the sun needs to be out)

I have also seen people use LED flashlights to find defects that are washed out by halogens. I have not heard of the red LED before, but I would think it would work just as well.