Customer Service 866.965.0400

Is foam cannon worth it or too much hassle?

hemi1300

Question

Have had the premium foam gun for a while now and love it. Been considering the cannon for a while now to use with my generac gas pressure washer. Decided to pull the trigger last night on the foam soap/cannon combo, which is a great deal, but now wondering if I should cancel the order. I love using my pressure washer to wash the vehicles, but sometimes it's just a hassle and another item to prep/put away during wash time. For the cannon users out there, do u normally use it every wash and think it is worth it?

12 answers to this question

We use ours on nearly every job. It lays down a nice thick layer of foam. When that foam is left on the vehicle, it encapsulates the dirt and allows for much safer removal. Think of it as a high strength pre soak. 

There is a reason that so many people use them, detailers and hobbyists alike. 

If you can set it up so it is not a chore to use the pressure washer and foam cannon, then you will get your money's worth out of it.  Otherwise the foam gun is much simpler, as you already have the hose out.  

I have seen folks set up an electric pressure washer in their garage, so it did not add time to the wash so use the cannon.

13 minutes ago, mc2hill said:

If you can set it up so it is not a chore to use the pressure washer and foam cannon, then you will get your money's worth out of it.  Otherwise the foam gun is much simpler, as you already have the hose out.  

I have seen folks set up an electric pressure washer in their garage, so it did not add time to the wash so use the cannon.

That's the only thing that is the pain in the rear. I like using the pressure washer but it just adds another task during the wash. It's bad enough cleaning out 3 buckets, wash pads, brushes, sometimes I think it takes me longer to get everything ready and put away than the actual washing of the vehicle. Guess it only adds maybe a few minutes getting the pressure washer ready though

Absolutely worth it.  The safest way to wash is with a pressure washer and Foam Cannon.

The pressure washer pre-rinse is the most important step in safe washing.  The point is to blast off as much dirt and other crud before you even touch the paint.  A pressure washer removes much more during the pre-rinse than a garden hose.

For the washing, the Foam Cannon adds lots of suds and lubricity to the surface, much more than a standard bucket wash or Foam Gun.  The advantage over the Foam Gun is more hang time on the suds, to allow you time to wash the surfaces before it all runs off.

As Michael stated, figure out a way to make setup and takedown faster.  Consider getting a hose real, perhaps find a place in the front corner of the garage to park the pressure washer so it is quicker to get it out.

Don't cancel the order, just figure out a way to make the pressure washer and Foam Cannon part of your normal routine, and tell yourself when you spend the few extra minutes getting it out that it is the best way to keep your paint in great condition.  After all, a little extra time during the wash is much less than having to machine polish your car more often.

It's definitely worth the trouble to set up and break down the pressure washer / foam cannon for your routine wash.  I use mine every wash. The only time I won't go through the trouble is if I'm doing wheels the day before I wash.  That's just a straight hose and bucket routine.  Quick disconnects make it easy enough to go over the vehicle with the regular wand during the pre-rinse to remove the majority of the heavy road grime, then switch over to the foam cannon, then back to the wand to aid with the final rinse.  Don't cancel your order.  

Edited by ZMAN024

I have both the foam cannon and the foam gun. After winter or after a big trip with the truck or suburban (or an off-road adventure), it’s awesome to grab the pressure washer and really blast the gunk off. Keeps the paint in better shape because you get all the dirt off and keeps your bucket of suds and washing tool of choice cleaner. 

The foam gun is for maintenance car washes where I’m not getting tons of filth off. 

On 11/24/2017 at 11:59 AM, TheWolf said:

Absolutely worth it.  The safest way to wash is with a pressure washer and Foam Cannon.

The pressure washer pre-rinse is the most important step in safe washing.  The point is to blast off as much dirt and other crud before you even touch the paint.  A pressure washer removes much more during the pre-rinse than a garden hose.

For the washing, the Foam Cannon adds lots of suds and lubricity to the surface, much more than a standard bucket wash or Foam Gun.  The advantage over the Foam Gun is more hang time on the suds, to allow you time to wash the surfaces before it all runs off.

As Michael stated, figure out a way to make setup and takedown faster.  Consider getting a hose real, perhaps find a place in the front corner of the garage to park the pressure washer so it is quicker to get it out.

Don't cancel the order, just figure out a way to make the pressure washer and Foam Cannon part of your normal routine, and tell yourself when you spend the few extra minutes getting it out that it is the best way to keep your paint in great condition.  After all, a little extra time during the wash is much less than having to machine polish your car more often.

Thanks for the tips. Did a little bit of reorganization in the garage and now have my pressure washer up front in the garage between the 2 doors. Will leave it in this exact spot during use and have the hose neatly coiled on the wall. Only prep work will be connecting garden hose and unwinding pressure hose. Will be much easier now and not so inconvenient

3 hours ago, hemi1300 said:

Thanks for the tips. Did a little bit of reorganization in the garage and now have my pressure washer up front in the garage between the 2 doors. Will leave it in this exact spot during use and have the hose neatly coiled on the wall. Only prep work will be connecting garden hose and unwinding pressure hose. Will be much easier now and not so inconvenient

Very good!

I would consider adding a hose reel, to make it even more convenient.

I have this one, and it makes getting the hose out, and putting it away, much faster.

https://www.pressurewashersdirect.com/General-Pump-D30001/p1641.html