Customer Service 866.965.0400

Sealant and Gloss Guard/removing residue

Ranger 5

Question

I have a couple of questions.  I have a brand new Corvette with suntek applied to the front end.  I am planning on using Adam's paint sealant over the suntek film.  What is the recommended method of removing was residue that forms on the edges of the plastic film and the paint?  

Second question.  What Adams product would I pair with the sealant besides detail spray?  H2O Gloss Guard and sealant?

Thanks 

7 answers to this question

The best way to clean out the edge of the film is not to get any there in the first place. It shows up like a sore thumb and there really is no easy way to get it out, if at all. Apply the Paint Sealant in parallel to the seam and just be very very careful to not get any under the edge. Once it sticks to the film, you’ll be in a bad place. At last resort, I’ve used a toothpick to get some out but I feel it’s not a 100% removal job. 

Lastly, you can apply anything over paint sealant really. Lots of people favor H2O Guard and Gloss for the ease, shine, and longevity. Others prefer a wax approach, and some like Brilliant Glaze. Really it’s up to you and your arsenal, but you’ll want to apply the paint sealant to bare paint for the longest lasting and most durable approach. 

Could you line the side of the PPF with polishing tape, so if you do go over, it doesn't build up on the edge? I don't have anything with PPF, but figured that would be the easiest way to stop it going under the edges if you're not super careful

Use toothpicks. Make sure to hold the toothpick at a very similar angle to the edge to minimize the chance of pulling up the film. Use VERY little to no pressure going back and forth along the edge until your satisfied. Lastly use some q-tips with ipa and a towel to clean it all up.

Most people here use G&G over the paint sealant to increase its longevity. You can also top it up with some wax. Once the wax goes away, you'll still have the paint sealant there for protection.

Edited by sloppynoodles

If I get wax or sealant along the edge of PPF I use the plastic toothpick from a Swiss Army Knife to remove the stuff after it dries. The plastic toothpick is thicker than the above suggested plastic razor blade and has less of a chance of pulling up the film.

If you're going to apply the product at the edges of the film, use straight line wipes from the film onto the paint, same procedure with removal. This will minimize the packing of the product at the line.

Best suggestion, and what I prefer is to tape off the lines.

s499V5w.jpg

I'd much rated take the time to place and remove tape, than the time to remove residue from where it shouldn't be.