Customer Service 866.965.0400

Moved to Florida... Detailing Tips?

KoryMiller340

Question

All,

I've been detailing for a few years, but just recently relocated to Florida from Pennsylvania.  I washed my car this past Sunday, and while it isn't "hot" yet, I definitely struggled to get it dried quickly enough while trying to avoid water spots.  I used the wash & wax, and the car was mostly in the shade for the duration of the wash, however, the sun came out as I was rinsing.  Any tips anyone can recommend?  I've worked hard over the past few years to make my stuff perfect, I want to maintain it here.

I'm sure the general rule of thumb applies, wash / wax in the shade if possible, etc. etc. but if there are any other tips anyone wants to provide, feel free to chime in.

Thanks!

16 answers to this question

YES, Wash in the shade, if possible.  And of course early mornings or late evenings are best.   

You will need to use the 'reactivate the soap' method too.  Wash the car and leave the soap on it.  Then when the whole car is clean, load up the clean wash mitt with soap, and wipe it over the about 1/2 the car, then reload again and do the remaining 1/2.  Now rinse, then pool rinse.  The dried soap does not leave the water spots like plain water does. 

If you are not already using it Rinseless Wash it is your friend.  I often clean the wheels, then pull the car in the garage and to a Rinseless wash, so as not to have to fight the sun/rain.  It leaves about as much water on the floor as you would get if you pulled the car in during a good rain.    

If you are only doing your cars, then plan your major work from late October to early May, and leave the rest of year (when the humidity arrives) for early/late day washes.  I use H20 G&G as part of a Rinseless wash during the summer as a 'booster' to Paint Sealant.     

2 hours ago, KoryMiller340 said:

@mc2hill I am living in Winter Park.

Cool.  Hit me up if you run out of something, or find something you would like to 'try before you buy'.  I have most of the Adam's line.

Edited by mc2hill

Shade obviously and morning/evening but what has worked best for me over the years is doing only half the car. I rinse, foam half, rinse, foam other half, rinse, wheel, rinse, wheel, rinse, wheel, rinse, wheel, rinse, detail/G&G and dry. Wow that was a lot just to type lol dang heat down south :angry:

If you're using Americana, Patriot, or the new Ceramic Wax, keep the jar in the refrigerator.  And you don't want the rest of your products exposed to extreme heat in the summer either. If you have an air cooled garage, great.  But if not, then maybe find a cooler spot in the house or basement (if you have one).  Over 85* for an extended time isn't good for them.  

1 hour ago, funkymonkey1111 said:

Is this an official Adams position?  If not, what is it based on?

It is.  I'll have to hunt around and find the thread. 

Im in the armpit of Florida, Daytona Beach where it seems to be extremely hot. I always try to wash, then pull directly in the garage to dry. It really makes a huge difference. I will also frequently wash very late in the day, just before dark. It helps a lot. 

4 hours ago, funkymonkey1111 said:

Thanks for the info.   So what happens when you apply an Adam's product and your car is subjected to sun and 85F and above?   Is the product immediately deteriorating? 

Yes there is more of a deterioration when wax is subjected to higher temps after applied to a car. Keeping your car cool and out of the sun will help wax last longer much like keeping it inside during storms. The ceramic wax I believe has better resistance to sun/heat but will still deteriorate faster as opposed to keeping it cool in the shade. It wont melt off the car immediately but will lose longevity.