Customer Service 866.965.0400

Which should I apply first?

Marco

Question

Hello going to to be doing a complete paint correction/detail in my black Honda. My car has sever swirls and scratches. Would like to know what the difference is between compound and polish?  Is compound necessary? Also what porduct(s) to apply first after the clay bar step. Is there a specific order such as polish first, glaze, sealant, then wax? Help please.

4 answers to this question

Compound is more a lot more abrasive than polish. But the pads also matter, as MF pads will cut more than foam. Adam's pads are color coded between polish/Compound and pad. Another general rule is start with least aggressive method first, so that means Finishing Polish, Correcting Polish, then Heavy Correcting Compound if all three are available. For your situation, it sounds like you can skip the FP and go straight to the CP with orange foam pad. Test in a 2x2 area to see the results, then move up, down, or on with correction depending on results.

For order, general rule is most durable first, then layer. For what you outlined, that would be polish first (this doesn't offer protection unless 1-Step, just correction), selant, wax, then glaze. You can swap the last two for your own desired results. 

Read this for more info:

Edited by falcaineer

You let the polish turn clear after working it it is clear for me in about 10 minutes and then buff off using a microfiber towel and then the next step and repeat. Also make sure you do a strip wash and then clay the car using a clay mitt or visco clay before any polishing.

Edited by the Camaro show