Customer Service 866.965.0400

Bug and tar removal

Sathya

Question

Hello guys,

Wanted to know if anyone had any advice on what to buy for bug removal. I was thinking of buying a bug sponge on Amazon along with some liquid to remove heavy bug/tar residue.

Any suggestions? 

Thanks,

Sathya.

4 answers to this question

Any degreaser will work but it will remove or diminish wax and sealant. In my experience it is more chemicals and less rag/sponge. Degreaser will break them down enough to wipe off with any rag. If you do not want to diminish your wax or sealant I've been told, though haven't tried yet, that waterless wash (or rinsless diluted) will work without diminishing wax or sealant.

Rinseless diluted (a few ounces per 32 oz water) works great as a general pre wash treatment on bugs and grime. I usually spray it on and allow it to dwell for a few minutes then come back with a more concentrated stream and “focus” in on the bugs etc. you can usually see that it will knock them right off. Check out Adams tips in the video below. Same concept.

Just to add to what has been said, you may have to go to the Adams Eco APC or a degreaser of your choice if the method above doesn’t work. Sometimes if bugs etc have been baked in for too long, a stronger chemical with acidity will work better. Just be mindful to do it on a cool surface out of direct sunlight and don’t let it dry on the paint. Also remember to re apply LSP unless you have a coated car?

We have a bug sponge, and I don’t think we’ve ever used it to be honest. Some rinseless straight up on a microfiber and let it soak on the bugs for a few minutes and they usually wipe right off. 

We’ve also been known to steam them off. I constantly praise the power of steam, but it works really well and without a lot of chemicals. That being said, the heat will remove wax protection so we do it as part of the process before we apply. 

When we slow down I’ll get around to writing a thing on steam and how well it works. And you can get into steam without spending a fortune.