Customer Service 866.965.0400

Coating on Fresh Paint??

galaxy

Question

Just got calipers painted. Paint was baked. Not even a week old yet.  What would you guys do about delaying applying wheel coating?  Give it a few weeks?  Safe to do now?  What would be the harm of doing it now?  

918702DC-D2EE-4114-BE0B-F676B7D5A2CF.jpeg

7 answers to this question

Guess it depends on what was used and I would defer to what the paint shop says, but I think  you usually want to allow for atleast month or so for fresh paint to off gas etc before applying anything to it. But baking could speed that up.

We tell people who are anxious to wax their rides fresh out of the bodyshop to wait at least 2 weeks.  We bake all of our paint work.  I've never seen a failure if it was waxed before the 2 week point, we just don't want it to be you.  I have seen paint crack if it doesn't gas off properly. But for a wheel caliper, I wouldn't be too worried. But if you can wait for at least 10-14 days, then I'd recommend doing so.  

Sorry so late. So interesting enough, he said he wasn’t sure as he was unfamiliar with ceramic coating. ?  I also found this odd considering how good he is and being in this line of work, but whatever.  But he said a couple three weeks should be solid for waxing and such. It’s  been a solid two weeks, plus a few days. I want to do them before putting back on the car to really get all the nooks and crannies coated.  The paint does not feel soft or anything like that. I’m no paint/body guy, but for the life of me, I don’t see what harm it will do.  So I’m gonna coat them tomorrow evening.  I would think theyre about done offgassing as there’s zero smell.