Customer Service 866.965.0400

Ceramic Coating after Two step paint correction ?

Revlimiter

Question

I can’t seem to find a straight easy answer on here so I’ll make it simple. I have been looking at doing a ceramic coating on my new 2018 Audi Q5. It needs to be clay barred and I would like to do the two step correction and polish before Iam  just wondering can the ceramic coating be applied after the fact. Second question could I even possibly apply ceramic over a coat of Americana past wax if I wanted to protect my rig until the ceramic showed up. 

3 answers to this question

You can apply ceramic after the two step correction.   Finish polish may not be necessary, as the coating prep spray should clean the correcting polish residue off, which is primarily what the finish polish will do on a new vehicle. 

I would not apply coating over wax, as you want the coating to bond directly to the clear coat, and not have anything in between.  The coating prep spray will likely remove it anyway.  It is also a good idea to strip wash the car before your correct, so that you are not removing wax with your correcting and polishing pads.  

3 minutes ago, Revlimiter said:

I can’t seem to find a straight easy answer on here so I’ll make it simple. I have been looking at doing a ceramic coating on my new 2018 Audi Q5. It needs to be clay barred and I would like to do the two step correction and polish before Iam  just wondering can the ceramic coating be applied after the fact. Second question could I even possibly apply ceramic over a coat of Americana past wax if I wanted to protect my rig until the ceramic showed up. 

Yes, you absolutely can and should apply the coating after correction. You want the surface to be as near perfect and swirl free as possible...prep is everything! You can apply Americana in the meantime; however, that or any other product must be completely removed prior to the coating. Again, prep is everything. That's where the Coating Prep comes into play. Bottom line, you want a completely bare, clean surface before applying the coating.