Customer Service 866.965.0400

Reapplying Wheel Coating

gma3748

Question

Added the ceramic wheel coating to my wife’s SRT Grand Cherokee with Brembos that are pretty dusty.  

Its been a year year and I’ve noticed the hydrophobic properties have faded a good deal.  

I ordered a bottle of the new wheel coating that arrived today. 

Wondering how best to prep for the new coating.  Do I need to “buff off” the entire surface since there’s probably some of the old coating left?

740FE423-788F-48AB-93A9-4932006DAC8C.jpeg

EABFAD95-4873-484E-8E03-BF7F510D6EF1.jpeg

5 answers to this question

Is the coating no longer there or do your wheels need a good decontamination?  The biggest causes of clients saying their coating isn’t working is that they need a deep cleaning. Wheels are hammered by heat and contaminants. 

If you’re going to reapply the coating, it’s the full process. So polish them, prep them and coat them. There is no shortcut. 

3 hours ago, shane@detailedreflections said:

Is the coating no longer there or do your wheels need a good decontamination?  The biggest causes of clients saying their coating isn’t working is that they need a deep cleaning. Wheels are hammered by heat and contaminants. 

If you’re going to reapply the coating, it’s the full process. So polish them, prep them and coat them. There is no shortcut. 

Thanks for the response. What do you mean by “deep clean”?

Would taking a correcting (orange) pad and some polish with a 4" pad/drill do the trick?  Or is there another method that would be more efficient?

Edited by gma3748

By deep clean meaning use some wheel cleaner to dissolve the iron out of the surface. Clay them down. Wheels are clear coated, just like your paint. They collect contamination just like your paint (even more so actually). They need to be decontaminated to allow your coating to work. Some good scrubbing with the proper cleaners (wheel cleaner, APC) and maybe top again with ceramic boost. And live happy.