Customer Service 866.965.0400

Paint Sealant Longevity

2017 Camaro

Question

Hey, guys,

I'm new to all of this and I've got a few questions about sealing the paint on my 2017 Camaro (Nightfall Metallic Gray). For one, I've read that it's best to only do one thin layer, not two or more; is this factual? Also, I'm new to Adam's products and I've recently become a huge fan of the H2O Guard & Gloss - honestly, I'm astonished by the results from something so easy and quick. If there's G&G on the finish when I get ready to seal the paint, will it be necessary to do a strip wash as well as using the clay bar? Or will a thorough wash and clay suffice (speaking of which, will using Detail Spray while claying mean it will need to be washed again before sealing)? Next, I want to get the maximum longevity out of the Paint Sealant; is there any value in letting it cure for an extended period of time, in a garage, say, before exposing it to the elements? And, finally, once it's sealed, what's the best product to use (wax or otherwise) to maintain the sealant/finish?   Thanks in advance for taking the time to answer all these questions.   Jason

IMG_4019.JPG

3 answers to this question

Beautiful Camaro!

Yes - you should use Strip Wash to remove the H2OGG and then clay before applying Paint Sealant.  The Paint Sealant works best on bare, clean paint and should be the base for everything else you apply.

You can top Paint Sealant with wax right away and maintain with H2O.  Whatever you like.

I wouldn't worry about washing the car again after claying but make sure you remove all the residue if you aren't going to polish.  I usually use an Iso Alcohol wipe to remove residue.

I used the paint sealant and applied with my SK last weekend and must say its been a little sticky compared to other items I've used. I washed and clay bar'd and then applied. Not sure if I'm just hitting a week of heavy dust and pollen but it's holding on tight.

You're on the right path for sure.  

Strip it all off.  

Clay with Detail Spray or I would recommend Rinseless Wash diluted 16:1 as this will not introduce any wax to the surface.  

Re-wash or at least Rinse off the finish thoroughly.

Dry

Coating prep wipe-down or use IPA but flip the towel regularly as alcohol doesn't like to lift much, it tends to push if the towel gets full. 

Apply LPS to the whole vehicle, and buff off when you're done applying.  

I would at least let it sit in the garage for a few hours.  Not that it probably needs it per say but it can't hurt. 
I think the best topper for LPS is H2O Guard and Gloss.  Easy, fast, durable, and gets almost if not as good of a shine as a paste wax.  Top the vehicle with H2O Guard and Gloss every few washes or every month and you'll be set for 6+ months.