Customer Service 866.965.0400

The "Road" to Ceramic Coating

Hi All, 

After seeing a need for some flowcharts and more "processes" for overall detailing, especially Ceramic Coating and maintenance, I've developed the roadmap to Ceramic Paint Coating! Let me know what you think and how this can help you-- Also, If there are any processes you are confused by, list them here and I'll consider them for future flow charts! 

Revised_Ceramic_Coating_Process.jpg

Nice writeup, two questions, for those that are new to the hobby "Volatize" may not be a word that they understand. Also this process makes it seem that the Ceramic Boost is un-needed but it is included in all of the kits 

Thanks, Julian! I am working on more as we speak, but polishing is a bit more complex as every vehicle is different. 

Jim, thanks for the feedback. This flowchart explains the basic application process-- Scientifically, Ceramic Boost isn't necessary for the actual application of the ceramic coating. I can add in a maintenance/washing process separate to help better explain! 

My only question would be regarding the wash process, Step #2.  Wouldn't Strip Wash be the recommended option to ensure all pre-existing waxes and sealants are removed ?  Overall, it's a great tool for new comers to use. Easy to follow and a great "quick reference" guide.  Well done Kyle. :thumbsup:

9 hours ago, galaxy said:

IMO, if you're claying or doing ANY polish or surface prep, that'll get everything.  Strip wash is a completely unnecessary, unneeded step with a fairly aggressive product.

There’s a reason there aren’t many chemical manufacturers marketing a “strip wash.” It’s a product looking for a solution. If done properly, a full detail will remove it all.

Not to mention that if you really want to help with stripping, you can add a few ounces of APC to your wash. Strip wash as a stand alone product is just another product to purchase and manage. 

This is great! But if I recall what members were wanting was a flow chart of different products use with different LSP. So almost to follow this something along the lines where Coating is the start point and how you can use ceramic boost, CPW, what shampoos are most useful and maybe tips with what to avoid. Same for the wax side of things. Really like this. Gets back to the simplicity Adams has always strived for.

1 hour ago, BRZN said:

I'll Strip Wash first, just to make sure, then follow up by decontamination using Adam's Iron Remover.

Thanks Dave.  That was my point..... the "just to make sure" part.  I'll be out at Carlisle next Friday / Saturday and I'll stop by the tent to say hello.  :hi:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
On 7/4/2018 at 10:09 PM, shane@detailedreflections said:

There’s a reason there aren’t many chemical manufacturers marketing a “strip wash.” It’s a product looking for a solution. If done properly, a full detail will remove it all.

Not to mention that if you really want to help with stripping, you can add a few ounces of APC to your wash. Strip wash as a stand alone product is just another product to purchase and manage. 

Shane I’m glad you said it.  I used APC until I got a bottle of strip wash in a mystery box.  I can’t tell the difference between the two based on the results.  

On 7/4/2018 at 4:49 AM, Kyle@Adams said:

Hi All, 

After seeing a need for some flowcharts and more "processes" for overall detailing, especially Ceramic Coating and maintenance, I've developed the roadmap to Ceramic Paint Coating! Let me know what you think and how this can help you-- Also, If there are any processes you are confused by, list them here and I'll consider them for future flow charts! 

Revised_Ceramic_Coating_Process.jpg

Kyle, a couple of things.  One, how about flow charts for the entire wash process, sequentially?  Starting with wheels/rims and finishing with interior glass (or whatever you all recommend)?   Two, consider hanging these on the web site as .pdfs we can download?

12 hours ago, Dkhazlett said:

Kyle, a couple of things.  One, how about flow charts for the entire wash process, sequentially?  Starting with wheels/rims and finishing with interior glass (or whatever you all recommend)?   Two, consider hanging these on the web site as .pdfs we can download?

Three, update with the new products. 

• 1 month later...
On 7/3/2018 at 4:03 PM, Kyle@Adams said:

Thanks, Julian! I am working on more as we speak, but polishing is a bit more complex as every vehicle is different. 

Jim, thanks for the feedback. This flowchart explains the basic application process-- Scientifically, Ceramic Boost isn't necessary for the actual application of the ceramic coating. I can add in a maintenance/washing process separate to help better explain! 

Hey Kyle, did you end up making a flow chart for the maintenance/washing of the ceramic products? 

• 3 years later...
  • 2 months later...

Great flow chart. I'm waiting for my polisher to arrive before I dig into the ceramic coating. I have a black car that lives in the garage so it's not too bad. I like the polishing step before a fine clay bar. Still not sure if I want to start with a compound and then a polish or just jump to the polish since the paint is in good shape. Any suggestions? 

53 minutes ago, tomsch63 said:

Great flow chart. I'm waiting for my polisher to arrive before I dig into the ceramic coating. I have a black car that lives in the garage so it's not too bad. I like the polishing step before a fine clay bar. Still not sure if I want to start with a compound and then a polish or just jump to the polish since the paint is in good shape. Any suggestions? 

I may have misunderstood, but be sure to clay before you do any compound or polish. Clay will remove the surface contamination first, and it could leave some marring the paint correction phase will be used to correct. Claying after runs the risk of adding damage to an otherwise great finish.

Always do a test spot. Tape off a 1x1 test section on the hood or trunk lid, somewhere indicative of most of the car. Then start with least aggressive of Polish and white foam and move up as necessary until you find a combi that works. That should set you up for around 80 to 90% of the car, and then you can adjust as needed for the other spots.

This should also help, but we're here for more questions: