Customer Service 866.965.0400

Products and steps

Tico11159

Question

Hey. I’m new to detailing and am about to make a pretty large purchase from Adams. Want to make sure I’m buying the right stuff for my applications. I have a 2016 f150 king ranch and a 2018 Infiniti QX60.

I drive the f150 more often but neither are really “garage queens” I’m looking to do a full detail off the bat, paint correct and seal. 

Heres my plan 

strip wash 

iron remover 

clay

wash again with ultra foam

paint sealant

Buttery or Americana- not sure yet 

after the detail I plan on doing a maintenance wash every week or two and touching up the wax with h20 guard and gloss. 

Am I on the right track ? 

Sorry for the long post ! 

9 answers to this question

You’re on the right track. I’d use Americana over buttery. Buttery is a decent finish, but too short lived for my tastes. 

Our new car prep also includes a finishing polish to level the paint. It may look good from the factory, but it’s not level. It will pop once you polish it. 

16 minutes ago, shane@detailedreflections said:

You’re on the right track. I’d use Americana over buttery. Buttery is a decent finish, but too short lived for my tastes. 

Our new car prep also includes a finishing polish to level the paint. It may look good from the factory, but it’s not level. It will pop once you polish it. 

When should I polish ? After clay but before paint sealant ? 

Thoughts on hand applied one step polish ? 

11 minutes ago, Mbrazelton said:

If your going to polish by hand use Revive, it's made more for hand use.  One Step by hand will get you very little results, and most likely just make your shoulders hurt for days! 

Thanks I didn’t see the revive earlier. Looks like I’m ready to place my order. 

1 hour ago, Tico11159 said:

Thanks I didn’t see the revive earlier. Looks like I’m ready to place my order. 

If you are looking for something that will make either vehicle really pop for that special evening, get a bottle of Brilliant Glaze.  It only lasts a few days at best on the exterior, but for a Saturday Date night or special event, on top of the wax or HGG, it gives the Wow effect.  Also, check out the video on using it on the inside of your windshield.    For the outside of the windshield, the Glass Sealer and Glass Boost work very well and while the bottles look small they will last you a long time.

Good luck with your vehicles and don't forget to share your pictures.

15 hours ago, shane@detailedreflections said:

I think @shane@detailedreflections hit this one on the waxes. Personally I end up using the Buttery on my daily becuase I spend that much time with my rinseless made to waterless mix wiping it down, I just add another layer of buttery every week or two depending on time and conditions. 

I agree that it doesnt last as long but its also a much cheaper product, and to me is a faster on and off than the Americana. That is about where the benefits stop for Buttery, but that is also where they are designed to stop. Americana leaves a great finish on the car that lasts a good while. 

On 8/24/2018 at 2:22 PM, Tico11159 said:

Hey. I’m new to detailing and am about to make a pretty large purchase from Adams. Want to make sure I’m buying the right stuff for my applications. I have a 2016 f150 king ranch and a 2018 Infiniti QX60.

I drive the f150 more often but neither are really “garage queens” I’m looking to do a full detail off the bat, paint correct and seal. 

Heres my plan 

strip wash 

iron remover 

clay

wash again with ultra foam

paint sealant

Buttery or Americana- not sure yet 

after the detail I plan on doing a maintenance wash every week or two and touching up the wax with h20 guard and gloss. 

Am I on the right track ? 

Sorry for the long post ! 

I'm pretty much planning the exact same project on a new car (2018 Highlander)... 

Wash (Car Shampoo)

Clay (Visco Clay Bar / Detail Spray)

Polish (SK 15mm / Finish Polish / White Foam Pad)

Seal (SK 15mm /Paint Sealer / Gray Foam Pad)

Finish (Buttery Wax or H20-GG)

It was recommended that if I polish, there was no need for a strip wash.

For polishing I bought a swirl killer 15mm, and plan to use finishing polish and white pad. If I come across anything that requires more aggressive correction, I'll polish those "spots" with two steps correcting/finishing polish, but at this time the paint is 99.5% scratch/blemish free.

I wasn't planning to invest in a polisher (or if I did, it was gonna be a cheap one from Harbor Freight), but after looking at the time and money involved, I figured it was worth the investment, to insure the best results. Plus I have 2 other vehicles, that could use some paint correction so this will allow me to work on those as well. 

2008 Tahoe Black

strip wash 

iron remover 

clay

strip wash 

3 step polish ( blue ,orange, white)

coating prep spray

paint sealant

waited 1 hr. before applying Americana

then waited a few hrs. to wipe dust with 2.0 CB

Spend 15 to 16 hrs. total 

Don't know if times was to much or to short. Loved how it came out. 

Edited by wildcatz80

8 hours ago, wildcatz80 said:

2008 Tahoe Black

strip wash 

iron remover 

clay

strip wash 

3 step polish ( blue ,orange, white)

coating prep spray

paint sealant

waited 1 hr. before applying Americana

then waited a few hrs. to wipe dust with 2.0 CB

Spend 15 to 16 hrs. total 

Don't know if times was to much or to short. Loved how it came out. 

Pics or it didnt happen you wild thing....i used to have an 08/Black,  now its a 2016/Black.