Customer Service 866.965.0400

Suede seats

RTGuy

Question

My detail friends! How do you clean suede seats? My car has leather trimmed vented suede seats and cleaning the leather isn’t a problem but I need advice on how to clean the suede inserts in my seats! 

image.jpg

11 answers to this question

53 minutes ago, RTGuy said:

My detail friends! How do you clean suede seats? My car has leather trimmed vented suede seats and cleaning the leather isn’t a problem but I need advice on how to clean the suede inserts in my seats! 

image.jpg

If the areas are heavily soiled, you'll want to spray some Carpet & Upholstery Cleaner on a MF towel and wipe the surface. Don't spray directly on the suede. Follow that up with a clean MF towel to remove the dirt. Be careful not to saturate the suede.  Use light sprays on the MF towel and go over the heavily soiled areas as necessary until you're satisfied. Follow up with a pass with the Cockpit Brush to groom the pile and you're good to go.  If you want to maintain the suede and it's not dirty, you can get away with just using the Cockpit Brush to gently remove any surface lint, etc and groom the pile.  If you search the Library, there is a video on the subject.  

2 hours ago, ZMAN024 said:

If the areas are heavily soiled, you'll want to spray some Carpet & Upholstery Cleaner on a MF towel and wipe the surface. Don't spray directly on the suede. Follow that up with a clean MF towel to remove the dirt. Be careful not to saturate the suede.  Use light sprays on the MF towel and go over the heavily soiled areas as necessary until you're satisfied. Follow up with a pass with the Cockpit Brush to groom the pile and you're good to go.  If you want to maintain the suede and it's not dirty, you can get away with just using the Cockpit Brush to gently remove any surface lint, etc and groom the pile.  If you search the Library, there is a video on the subject.  

Exactly what he said. 

Edited by shane@detailedreflections

7 hours ago, ZMAN024 said:

If you want to maintain the suede and it's not dirty, you can get away with just using the Cockpit Brush to gently remove any surface lint, etc and groom the pile.  If you search the Library, there is a video on the subject.  

I have what I like to call Upholstery Cleaner (and Leather cleaner) Lite!  I have an extra bottle I dilute 3:1 for maintenance, non-cleaning events.  On my alcantara, I take my Lite spray and spray a few squirts directly on a cockpit brush just to make it damp and then give it a light scrub.  Not only does this maintain the cleanliness, but the brush will keep your material from getting matted down and help keep it revivied.  

I found that for Suede Coats and Seats that are real Suede that brushing them in four directions lifts the material and makes it look uniform.    My preferred pattern as you are facing the seat is Left -> Right, Bottom -> Top, Right -> Left, Top -> Bottom with the last one being light pressure.  If it does not look uniform, repeat the entire pattern.  Sometimes, on older seats it will take 2 or 3 passes to get them to look right.

I know I am late to the game, but another way to clean suede and Alcantra leather is by use of a steamer. Not the cheap small handheld steamer, but a more professional steamer, like those used in tuxedo shops, that steam jackets and pants. I use one at home and in my 370z with Alcantra seats, and it works wonders. You may hear that is does not clean, but if you wrap a MF towel around the head and gently go over your seats, you will see all the oils and grim it lifts. Then use a horse hair brush it out and it will look new.

15 minutes ago, Adam Tarbox said:

I know I am late to the game, but another way to clean suede and Alcantra leather is by use of a steamer. Not the cheap small handheld steamer, but a more professional steamer, like those used in tuxedo shops, that steam jackets and pants. I use one at home and in my 370z with Alcantra seats, and it works wonders. You may hear that is does not clean, but if you wrap a MF towel around the head and gently go over your seats, you will see all the oils and grim it lifts. Then use a horse hair brush it out and it will look new.

Im a huge fan of steam cleaning. Unfortunately not everyone has access to one. We do use our steamer all the time. 

Edited by shane@detailedreflections

4 hours ago, Adam Tarbox said:

Touche'. If the person wanted to spare the expense, it is a great option.

I agree with you that it's a great option.  We have a commercial steamer and use it heavily on nearly every job we do.  I commonly suggest them, but also need a "plan B" since it's out of the range of most people.  Or perceived to be anyway.

The McColluch MC1385 Deluxe is a great steamer that can be had for under $200 that will make you life in your car and around the house much easier.  Worth the investment all day long.