Customer Service 866.965.0400

Leather Conditioner

enoch7fa

Question

ok I see a lot of talk online and utube about leather conditioners.  Some say they are useless some good.  I need the truth.  Not to run down adams but just what am I doing when I apply it to seats and panels.  I am told that modern Leather and vinyl in cars have a thin plastic layer on car seats.  If this it true can the conditioner have any affect on it?  Does it just get wiped off as transfer and you sit down and slide around?  What is the science that allows the conditioner to reach through the plastic if their is plastic on the seats.  everyone especially adams people and professional detailers chime in.  Just give it to me straight.  we all know about the UV protection so no use in repeating that.  even though I have been told the plastic on the leather helps with that also.

8 answers to this question

Even a vinyl top coat needs to be kept moisturized. Even though you said there’s no need to repeat protection against UV rays, it really is worth mentioning again as that’s one of the biggest reasons to apply the product in the first place.

A good leather conditioner will keep the material moisturized (whatever it is) and have some level of spf to help fight the suns effects.

The materials used in seats are largely permeable on some level, regardless of the top layer. If they weren’t, every manufacturer of vehicles would be advertising their waterproof interiors. So the product does still work it’s way into the pores of the materials. 

Application varies. Adams is a wipe on and buff off the excess application. We use a variety of leather products ranging from Adam’s to ceramic coatings designed for leather (and synthetics) to anti bacterial protection for those with children. It comes down to education and knowing what products best fit your clients and if you can simply substitute or upcharge. 

Have young kids?  I push a coating on the material to help resist stains. Live where it’s wet or snows?  I push fabric protection to help keep the water from penetrating. Have a garage queen driven on nice days? Standard leather conditioner is the choice. 

Know your coients and their needs and tailor a package to suit them. Read about products from manufacturers. You’ll pick up bits about the sciences behind them and it’ll help you make choices about what you need or don’t need. 

My last Vette was an 02, sold it in 2012.  The day I traded her in, the seats looked almost as good as the day I got her off the rollback. 10 years.  The material was perfect, the only thing wrong with them was the padding was squished a bit from 10 years of me sitting on them.  The dash, doors, etc. ALL looked brand new. And the ONLY product that ever touched them was Adam's Leather Conditioner. Never needed to use the cleaner.  My Impala, Monte Carlo, Impala, Cadillac, and current Vette all have had nothing but Adam's LC. Not one issue ever. I have vented/heated perforated seats in the Cadillac, and perforated seats in the Vette, and never had any build up or filling in holes. 

Before I found Adam's I tried a lot of other stuff, mostly Megs or Turtle Wax products. The difference for me was HUGE once I tried Adam's. 

I apply it on a micro, wipe on, buff, and if it streaks, it's because it's soaking up product at different rates because some spots were drier than others. I just reapply until I get a uniform finish. In the winter before I put the Vette into storage, I use my hand and rub it in real well. Keeps it nice and moisturized until Spring comes around again. And that's in an unheated garage in Pennsylvania. 

So there ya have it. You can pay more, you can pay less, but you won't find better with regular treatments.

13 minutes ago, Chris@Adams said:

Plain & simple you want to use LC on your leather seats to keep them looking good & protected. Even if they aren't 100% leather.

The current trend of the Leatherette as GM calls it almost feels like leather even though it really isn't, but the importance is that it still dries out and needs moisture added.  Chris is spot with the statement about using it on things that are not 100% leather.   I have vinyl, leatherette and real leather between the vehicles and I use LC on all three materials and like the results across the board.   The first time I used it on each vehicle, it did take a couple of passes reapplying with the towel to get it to even out.  Subsequent applications have required less effort and product since they had some moisture in them. 

I have multiple leather jackets and leather saddle bags and I would not use it on them, but they have different usage and conditioning method.  For the interior of a car, it works very well and is comparable in price, effort and longevity to other products that condition and moisturize interiors.

9 hours ago, RayS said:

The current trend of the Leatherette as GM calls it almost feels like leather even though it really isn't, but the importance is that it still dries out and needs moisture added.  Chris is spot with the statement about using it on things that are not 100% leather.   I have vinyl, leatherette and real leather between the vehicles and I use LC on all three materials and like the results across the board.   The first time I used it on each vehicle, it did take a couple of passes reapplying with the towel to get it to even out.  Subsequent applications have required less effort and product since they had some moisture in them. 

I have multiple leather jackets and leather saddle bags and I would not use it on them, but they have different usage and conditioning method.  For the interior of a car, it works very well and is comparable in price, effort and longevity to other products that condition and moisturize interiors.

Why wouldn't you use it on your jackets or saddle bags?  I use it on  my leather jackets, my leather recliner, and my wife's leather purses.  Works well.  

3 hours ago, Rich said:

Why wouldn't you use it on your jackets or saddle bags?  I use it on  my leather jackets, my leather recliner, and my wife's leather purses.  Works well.  

The saddle bags get a two stage treatment.  The first stage is the conditioner and the second stage is the sealant, both by the same company. While I would think you could use the product on the vehicle, I never considered it due to the cost and effort involved.  It is a purpose made product and no it does not come from the bike store.

The leather jackets range from about 40 years old to a year old and I have used the same product on them all since the original purchases.  The leather is as soft as a baby's bottom and there are no cracks or marks of any sort on them.  The product is a conditioner and works as a water repellent.  The ~30 year old custom made for me Australian Lamb Skin jacket is my prized possession.  Even though I don't wear it very often, it gets conditioned twice a year, in the fall and in the spring along with the other jackets and still looks as good as the day it was handed to me.  The product is only used on the leather jackets.

I do appreciate the feedback on the leather recliner, leather desk chair, wife's purses and I'm sure my wallet and few other leather or leather like items will be well served with Adam's Leather Conditioner.  I hadn't even thought about using it on them and have been using an off the shelf product when we clean them.  Now, I've got more work to do this weekend.?