Customer Service 866.965.0400

Heavy Correcting / Microfiber Pads

jstaples17

Question

Newb question.

I just did the first pass on my wife's car with the heavy correcting polish and MF pad. After inspecting the paint i'm sure it could use another pass with this before going to step 2. Is this advisable or should i do step 2 Correcting Polish and then see if i need to go back? Also worth noting i am running the SK at level 4, should i be running it any higher when polishing?

thx in advance

13 answers to this question

3 hours ago, jstaples17 said:

Newb question.

I just did the first pass on my wife's car with the heavy correcting polish and MF pad. After inspecting the paint i'm sure it could use another pass with this before going to step 2. Is this advisable or should i do step 2 Correcting Polish and then see if i need to go back? Also worth noting i am running the SK at level 4, should i be running it any higher when polishing?

thx in advance

Yes sometimes it takes a couple  passes with HCC  & MF pad. The best advice I can give you is do a 2x2 test spot on a flat panel. This way you will know what it's going to take to make your paint perfect. Hope this helps!

Exactly what Chris said. MF pads are a bit harder to work with because they flatten out and need to be blown out and brushed constantly to keep cutting well. 

A test spot will reveal the process you’ll need for the most part throughout the car.

My word of caution though is to be careful chasing imperfections with compound and  MF pads. You can take a lot of clear coat off in a hurry depending on the exact products you’re using. 

Sometimes it does take multiple passes to get things the way you want. @shane@detailedreflections makes a great point about burning thru clear coat, and be really careful of this. In the end perfection is nearly impossible and honestly get it to where you are ok with it then spend the rest of the time enjoying it. 

41 minutes ago, falcaineer said:

One effective and efficient way to finish down with foam after HCC is to use the orange foam pad, two drops of CP and two drops of FP (at the same time). Works great.

If I am about to detail my car that is less than a year old with only minor blemishes, could I use CP and FP together and just do it in one step? I do have both polishes and orange and white pads as well, but I am just curious. Thanks. 

Mixing the two just gives essentially a different polish. It won’t perform the work of both. When it comes to polishing, there are no shortcuts. If there are, they’ll show through in the results. 

If the car is newer and with little damage, finishing polish may be all you need. A test spot where there’s damage will give you your answer. If it needs two steps, or even three...that’s what it needs and takes. 

10 minutes ago, shane@detailedreflections said:

Mixing the two just gives essentially a different polish. It won’t perform the work of both. When it comes to polishing, there are no shortcuts. If there are, they’ll show through in the results. 

If the car is newer and with little damage, finishing polish may be all you need. A test spot where there’s damage will give you your answer. If it needs two steps, or even three...that’s what it needs and takes. 

Thanks man. I will probably just use both then. My car has light swirl marks and that is it. I have no experience with the finishing polish yet though, so it is all new to me. Also, as a newb, I just want to say I really appreciate your posts on here. I have learned a ton just by reading your posts. 

9 hours ago, shane@detailedreflections said:

Good points, Shane. I've only tried that approach (mixing on same pad) once and it worked well, but I certainly agree with taking the time to do all steps if possible. Keep up the great advice!