Customer Service 866.965.0400

Nav Screen Scratch Removal

galaxy

Question

14 answers to this question

32 minutes ago, tlbullet said:

I assume this is the result of a unsupervised child? If not, I’d love to know how that happened....

Maybe he couldn't decide what channel to listen to?! :willy:

Sorry this happened, Jon. Keep us informed on what you do, if anything.

Have you made sure someone didn't install a screen protector on it?   I have had more phones, tablets and other types of screens brought to me that looked similar and many had screen protectors.  If a screen protector gets old, too much sun of otherwise damaged it makes the whole screen look scratched.

If there is no screen protector, then it is toast and needs to be replaced.  According to what it is you can get a DIY screen replacement or take it to one of the screen screen repair shops, but in most cases it is less expensive to replace the unit as a whole.  

It looks like scratches. There’s nothing peeling off of it. Stock Nav. I don’t think a warranty will cover self inflicted damage. This doesn’t even remotely look like a faulty product; it looks like scratches from owner abuse to me. 

That has to be a film over the screen.  That's the only thing that would cause that effect.  Put a piece of duct tape on your finger, sticky side out, and see if you can't snag a corner and remove it.

My Son has a 2008 Audi A4 which is doing that on a smaller level. It's no where near that bad and doesn't appear to be a old plastic cover. It's like the top coat of the screen is wearing out.

We are probably going to try a small area with Head light plastic cleaner and see if it helps or makes it worse. I'll have to report back if it works or not.

I have seen this issue on many vehicles.

56 minutes ago, Mantis said:

My Son has a 2008 Audi A4 which is doing that on a smaller level. It's no where near that bad and doesn't appear to be a old plastic cover. It's like the top coat of the screen is wearing out.

We are probably going to try a small area with Head light plastic cleaner and see if it helps or makes it worse. I'll have to report back if it works or not.

I have seen this issue on many vehicles.

That “old plastic cover” is the factory installed anti-glare coating, which is basically a factory installed “anti-glare” screen protector. It’s not designed to be replaced by the customer, but it probably can be. It would require removing the unit from the vehicle and possibly some disassembly (remove a bezel or something), to access a corner of the “cover” and peel it off.

The biggest issue would be finding a replacement “screen protector” to fit.

Edited by rseward

1 hour ago, rseward said:

That “old plastic cover” is the factory installed anti-glare coating, which is basically a factory installed “anti-glare” screen protector. It’s not designed to be replaced by the customer, but it probably can be. It would require removing the unit from the vehicle and possibly some disassembly (remove a bezel or something), to access a corner of the “cover” and peel it off.

The biggest issue would be finding a replacement “screen protector” to fit.

Interesting. I'll have to let him know about that. We where going to try some headlight plastic cleaner to see if we could clear it up but maybe taking the unit out might be a better move. I'll have him contact his Audi dealer and see if a new screen protector is still available for such an old unit . 

Thanks man.

1 hour ago, Mantis said:

Interesting. I'll have to let him know about that. We where going to try some headlight plastic cleaner to see if we could clear it up but maybe taking the unit out might be a better move. I'll have him contact his Audi dealer and see if a new screen protector is still available for such an old unit . 

Thanks man.

I don’t think you’ll find it available as a “part”, you’d probably just have to get a screen protector an aftermarket screen protector for that vehicle, or maybe you could order one custom made to fit you screen.  

Here’s a video of a guy fixing the display on his Sony camera.

https://youtu.be/IdoDaZsCeds