Customer Service 866.965.0400

Two Questions About Ceramic Coating

zw470

Question

1.  If I'm not interested in having my paint look 100% flawless and am only after the long-lasting protection, is it still necessary to polish before the application or will a thorough decon and claying suffice?

2.  I don't usually have any place to properly wash during the winter, so I'm forced to use the touchless "laserwash" type places, will the Coating and Boost stand up to the high pressure and gnarly soaps they use?

4 answers to this question

3 minutes ago, zw470 said:

1.  If I'm not interested in having my paint look 100% flawless and am only after the long-lasting protection, is it still necessary to polish before the application or will a thorough decon and claying suffice?

2.  I don't usually have any place to properly wash during the winter, so I'm forced to use the touchless "laserwash" type places, will the Coating and Boost stand up to the high pressure and gnarly soaps they use?

I guess you don’t have to do the polishing, but it seems like it would defeat the purpose of the coating and the gloss. You’d still want to decontaminate and coating prep the surface. Polishing also helps ensure that the surface is clean. 

And yes, the coating will stand up to it, but may wear a bit faster. Understand though that coatings are NOT scratch proof. They’re subject to the same defects as paint, it’s just a slightly harder surface. 

I concur with Shane. 

You can absolutley coat over an unpolished car, just make sure it is squeaky clean and contaminate free. 

While polishing does get rid of imperfections, it also cleans the paint and levels it; making it truer and a better surface for the coating to adhere to. 

A coating will definitely hold up to high PH soaps and chemicals of the sort, even if it decreases their life a bit they will handle it. 

Cheers!