Jump to content
Customer Service 866.965.0400
  • 0

Help me save my leather!


joelilton23
 Share

Question

Hey all,

 

just picked up a new to me Volkswagen Passat CC with dark brown leather. Problem is, the previous owners child has spilled silver glitter nail polish on the rear seat - is there any way of Saving the leather without causing more damage?

 

the second problem is the drivers seat leather has some hard spots and the texture has changed. I’m thinking that I may just have to put up with this, but would love any ideas on if it could possibly be fixed. I’ve attached photos of the damage. 

 

Thanks! 

6D5A6B73-4DCE-4BD3-95F2-C692F618D528.jpeg

5B7A9680-8A04-4EFF-B924-EEA689FC3ECA.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • 1

Nail polish remover should remove the nail polish.  Runs about a buck at a drug store. Then on ALL the leather, I would HAND RUB Leather Conditioner into all the seats and close the car up tight and let it sit for a day or two before wiping.  If it's streaky looking afterward, do it again until you get it all even in appearance.   

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0

Cant comment on the nail polish one...but I know @shane@detailedreflections will have an answer or from his main man Marquis. 

 

For the front I would think that just going after it gently with some of the Leather and Interior Cleaner and then some Leather Conditioner. You may need to apply the conditioner several times if it is either streaky or not bringing it back as evenly. Those seats are probably begging for some attention, remember leather is just skin in the long run and needs to be treated accordingly. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0

Probably take the interior scrub mitt or a light, non scratch pad and with lots of lubrication, get the nail polish off. For everything else, just a solid clean with leather cleaner and then condition it. Like @pirahnah3 said, will probably need multiple applications of conditioner to bring the seats back. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0

I talked to Marquis on this one. He suggested possibly some acetone nail polish remover. But before you go whole hog on it, do a test spot in a hidden area (maybe where the seats meet to recline) to ensure no discoloration. Once you get it off, rehydrate that area with ample leather conditioner. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
9 hours ago, pirahnah3 said:

Cant comment on the nail polish one...but I know @shane@detailedreflections will have an answer or from his main man Marquis. 

 

For the front I would think that just going after it gently with some of the Leather and Interior Cleaner and then some Leather Conditioner. You may need to apply the conditioner several times if it is either streaky or not bringing it back as evenly. Those seats are probably begging for some attention, remember leather is just skin in the long run and needs to be treated accordingly. 

 

They definitely need some love, two kids and no care have wrecked havoc on the interior - there were car stickers all over the back window 

 

9 hours ago, BHarris23 said:

Probably take the interior scrub mitt or a light, non scratch pad and with lots of lubrication, get the nail polish off. For everything else, just a solid clean with leather cleaner and then condition it. Like @pirahnah3 said, will probably need multiple applications of conditioner to bring the seats back. 

 

Thanks for the advice, will give that a try

 

6 hours ago, shane@detailedreflections said:

I talked to Marquis on this one. He suggested possibly some acetone nail polish remover. But before you go whole hog on it, do a test spot in a hidden area (maybe where the seats meet to recline) to ensure no discoloration. Once you get it off, rehydrate that area with ample leather conditioner. 

 

Will do, tell Marquis I owe him a beer or two! I'll post some photos up after I give it a go, I'm hoping the hard leather on the front seat comes good with some cleaning and a lot of conditioner

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
2 hours ago, joelilton23 said:

 

They definitely need some love, two kids and no care have wrecked havoc on the interior - there were car stickers all over the back window 

 

 

Thanks for the advice, will give that a try

 

 

Will do, tell Marquis I owe him a beer or two! I'll post some photos up after I give it a go, I'm hoping the hard leather on the front seat comes good with some cleaning and a lot of conditioner

We will all love to know what works and what doesn’t. Let us know!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...