Customer Service 866.965.0400

Scratches from Branches- Best Removal Technique

dsheli

Question

Hey guys! I was in Crested Butte over the summer camping. Unfortunately my truck took a beating from branches while off roading. While I don't expect to get all of these scratches out, I would like to try an knock down the damage a bit. I have attached a picture of the scratches, any thoughts on the 21 MM swirl killer advanced kit? Any tips on how to remove or lessen the impact on some of these scratches will be appreciated.

Thanks,

David

IMG_0293.jpg

9 answers to this question

First off Welcome to Adam's Forums!

Your truck has large flat panels, which are idea for the 21Mmm throw of 'big' polisher, but if you plan to do other vehicles too I would recommend the 15mm SW instead.  The Advanced Kit has enough product, pads, and MF towels to get you started, but I would recommend picking up at least one more of each pad to allow you to work more efficiently.

And yes, you should be able to remove the majority of the scratches, and reduce the "notice-ability" of the ones that are still there. 

Mc2hill,

Thanks for the quick response!  Living out in Colorado most people have some type of SUV so it sounds like the 21 mm will be the hit. If anyone else has any tips or suggestions please let me know, I am just now starting to dive into the forums. 

Thanks,

David Stewart 

Welcome, David! Where are you in CO? I'm in Colorado Springs, so if you're nearby, let me know and maybe I can help.

One simplisctic way to know what you're up against is if you can catch a fingernail, the scratch likely won't come all the way out. Otherwise, the most common method to fix is start least aggressive first. Since that (FP and white foam pad) likely won't work here, you can also conskder starting with CP and orange foam pad just to see what happens, stepping up to the MF pad or HCC and pads.

Here's a great article from @shane@detailedreflections to help decide which polisher(s) will work for you.

I can't get this link to delete, so please disregard.

Edited by falcaineer

3 hours ago, Chris@Adams said:

Welcome!

I might add that it's probably going to take HCC & MF pad to take care of those scratches then followed by Orange pad & CP.

I agree that you're in compound territory looking at those.  Or a very patient polishing area.  Compound would make pretty quick work with a good polisher.  Since it's black, I'd follow up with correcting polish and finishing polish to really bring the finish to life.  

3 hours ago, dsheli said:

Mc2hill,

Thanks for the quick response!  Living out in Colorado most people have some type of SUV so it sounds like the 21 mm will be the hit. If anyone else has any tips or suggestions please let me know, I am just now starting to dive into the forums. 

Thanks,

David Stewart 

I wouldn't get the 21 if it's your only polisher.  I'd go with a 15.  It's far more versatile.  We have all the sizes in our shop and adding a rotary.  The 15 is so heavily used that we wore out a backing plate and are considering adding the new Rupes 15mk3 that was just announced to the collection so more than one guy can work with a 15 at once.

Falcaineer,

I am up in Denver, I do get down to Colorado Springs a good bit. Do you have a shop in the area? This will be my only Polisher, after reading some of the articles posted I definitely think the smaller 15 polisher is the way to go. Think I am going to tackle this over a few days... Wash one panel of the truck at night, clay bar it then polish and seal with bead maker. 

David 

On 11/2/2018 at 7:30 AM, dsheli said:

Falcaineer,

I am up in Denver, I do get down to Colorado Springs a good bit. Do you have a shop in the area? This will be my only Polisher, after reading some of the articles posted I definitely think the smaller 15 polisher is the way to go. Think I am going to tackle this over a few days... Wash one panel of the truck at night, clay bar it then polish and seal with bead maker. 

David 

No shop. Just an average guy that likes to make cars shine. I may head up there this coming week to the HQ so I'll let you know, in case you need some help.

On 11/2/2018 at 7:30 AM, dsheli said:

Falcaineer,

David 

I was debating the 21 too, i ended up with the 15. Very happy and covers a very large area still being 15mm I love it.