Customer Service 866.965.0400

Strip washing and ceramic coat

Adam Tarbox

Question

I searched the forum for this and even asked Adam's with no response, so I am hoping you guys might have more an idea. I have read where people talk about the Adam's Strip wash and if the Strip wash will remove ceramic coating. Considering those two items found, my issue is that I have recently used the Adam's ceramic wheel coating on my wheels and calipers. so my question is, will the Adam's Strip wash remove or damage the ceramic coating on the rim and calipers? Do I have to cover my wheels before applying the product?

15 answers to this question

14 minutes ago, shane@detailedreflections said:

Strip wash will NOT remove a coating. Coatings are not removed through chemical process, but abrasive ones. Take polish to it, it’ll be gone. Wash all you want with strip wash. 

What do you mean, "Take polish to it"? Normally after washing the the car, I bring it in the garage, dry everything and spray Ceramic Boost on the wheels and caliper. 

You’re good to go. Polished are abrasive products usually put on a vehicle to improve the finish or eliminate paint defects. This is usually (should be always) done before you install a ceramic coating. 

Think of polishes as liquid sandpapers of differing grits. We have stuff that will leave your car matte. And we have stuff that will restore its gloss back to its glory. All are in effort to remove some clearcoat (or a lot) in order to level the paint and leave it looking perfect. 

Nothing you’ve mentioned will harm a properly installed coating. 

13 minutes ago, shane@detailedreflections said:

You’re good to go. Polished are abrasive products usually put on a vehicle to improve the finish or eliminate paint defects. This is usually (should be always) done before you install a ceramic coating. 

Think of polishes as liquid sandpapers of differing grits. We have stuff that will leave your car matte. And we have stuff that will restore its gloss back to its glory. All are in effort to remove some clearcoat (or a lot) in order to level the paint and leave it looking perfect. 

Nothing you’ve mentioned will harm a properly installed coating. 

Thank you Shane, that is what I wanted to know. It would have sucked to have gone through the hours of work on the ceramic coat and then spray on something that would just peel it off or damage it in some way.

Caliber.jpg

Wheel.jpg

48 minutes ago, Adam Tarbox said:

Thank you Shane, that is what I wanted to know. It would have sucked to have gone through the hours of work on the ceramic coat and then spray on something that would just peel it off or damage it in some way.

Caliber.jpg

Wheel.jpg

You’re safe. Just don’t take a polisher and paint polish to any of it and you’re good to go. Enjoy!

I have finished the 2 days of detailing my car, thanks to this forum. Here is the results.. 

Special thank you to Shane for all his advice

All products used was by Adams.. 

Strip wash

Viso clay

Orange correcting polish and pad

Paint sealant and pad

Americana wax

20181111_164354.jpg

20181111_164418.jpg

20181111_164004.jpg

20181111_164250.jpg

20181111_164034.jpg

Edited by Adam Tarbox

Nice work.  Stupid question..i dont see Finishing polish and white pad listed in ur steps above.  Did you use another product or not use FP

Im sure other members  with much more experience thAn me could chime in, but in the spring you will probably want to add FP and white pads..probably get even better results!!! 

Spring cant come soon enough.  

Love the car too!

19 minutes ago, tlbullet said:

Nice work.  Stupid question..i dont see Finishing polish and white pad listed in ur steps above.  Did you use another product or not use FP

Im sure other members  with much more experience thAn me could chime in, but in the spring you will probably want to add FP and white pads..probably get even better results!!! 

Spring cant come soon enough.  

Love the car too!

I was debating on the FP and looked alot on Adams videos and what I found, though I could be wrong, is the the FP is just to add more shine. The Americana wax brings the luster out equally as the FP, but just last a bit longer. 

If I am way off on this correct me. I am still learning 

And thank you 

On 11/11/2018 at 8:02 PM, Adam Tarbox said:

I was debating on the FP and looked alot on Adams videos and what I found, though I could be wrong, is the the FP is just to add more shine. The Americana wax brings the luster out equally as the FP, but just last a bit longer. 

If I am way off on this correct me. I am still learning 

And thank you 

On a white car Finishing Polish may not make a difference, but it could on a darker color.  Many years ago if you used a correcting polish you had to follow it with a finishing polish, but the technology has improved, and you can finish down the correcting polish well enough to skip the FP step.  I will usually do a test section with Correcting Polish and another section with CP/FP, and if there is not real difference between the CP only and the CP/FP section I skip the FP step - which about 95% of the time!  

34 minutes ago, Adam Tarbox said:

Ultimately, i still see a few tray surface scratched when you squat down and look at certain angles, but it is okay since it is my daily. I just wish I could get everything :( 

Chasing perfection will drive you insane, especially on a daily, but even with a garage queen. Normally I'd say shoot for 90%+/- and call it a day. But with winter upon us, personally I'm good with 75%.