Customer Service 866.965.0400

Let’s talk...micropolishers

shane@detailedreflections

Question

For those times that even the Rupes Nano is too big, we have just received the AutoTriz nano polisher. This kit goes down to the size of a tube of chap stick. It’s going to be perfect for around emblems, interior panels that need some love. You essentially hold it like a pen while it’s connected to a rotary polisher. 

We don’t want super high speed, but our DeWalt rotary has a nice speed setting on it. We figured this was the best use of that old polisher while we wait for our Rupes Rotary to ship. 

Anyway, check it out!  I’ll post some more once we put it to use. And don’t be afraid to ask questions!  We are going next level!

27F44CBF-A0D2-47AA-B226-AE4017A060F4.thumb.jpeg.f19138da4fdb265392569b3154a26ccd.jpeg

34F325C6-6F53-4F7D-89E9-83A4A44E2C6F.thumb.jpeg.cdeb12a762348aa36d21737f39027de0.jpeg

1A8BE21B-4822-4371-87E6-381E22D2C850.thumb.jpeg.b09a8fde41581f2e816d89a4e32cc448.jpeg

D1CA464F-DA47-4C38-8B4F-E0E8B4F63404.thumb.jpeg.ae3c0ae18ccc384588b044801c73a5c4.jpeg

16 answers to this question

Those things are wicked cool. I’ve been eyeing a kit that is identical to that for $140. Is that about how much the autotriz goes for? I too have a rotary that is laying dormant in the corner and I could use it for that. 

Once I get more customers wanting two/three step corrections I’ll be using the rotary for cutting and dual action for finishing. It’s definitely the way to go. 

1 hour ago, cwp2016nd said:

Those things are wicked cool. I’ve been eyeing a kit that is identical to that for $140. Is that about how much the autotriz goes for? I too have a rotary that is laying dormant in the corner and I could use it for that. 

Once I get more customers wanting two/three step corrections I’ll be using the rotary for cutting and dual action for finishing. It’s definitely the way to go. 

It is similar priced. I purchased some extra pads and attachments so we would have them without reordering. They’re essentially wear items. 

We didn’t use the DeWalt rotary much since I’m not a big fan of it. We did order the new Rupes which should arrive early next month. That will be our big cutting polisher. In the spring I’m considering another Rupes 15, this time it’ll be the mk3. The 15 is the most grabbed polisher, so two might be nice. 

In the meantime this will allow us to do some different things. 

19 minutes ago, falcaineer said:

Man, imagine buying that and charging by the hour... ????

Seriously, though, that looks pretty cool. A tool with the perfectionist in mind, for sure. Thanks for sharing, Shane.

The cost of the tool isn’t bad, especially if you have a polisher you can convert. And it only enhance the product we can deliver. Is this something I see being used every job?  No, but when it’s used, it’ll be well worth it!

10 minutes ago, shane@detailedreflections said:

It is similar priced. I purchased some extra pads and attachments so we would have them without reordering. They’re essentially wear items. 

We didn’t use the DeWalt rotary much since I’m not a big fan of it. We did order the new Rupes which should arrive early next month. That will be our big cutting polisher. In the spring I’m considering another Rupes 15, this time it’ll be the mk3. The 15

The cost of the tool isn’t bad, especially if you have a polisher you can convert. And it only enhance the product we can deliver. Is this something I see being used every job?  No, but when it’s used, it’ll be well worth it!

Sorry, meant doing the whole car with it and charging by the hour!

3 minutes ago, shane@detailedreflections said:

I wish people would pay for true paint corrections. That’s why we polish in stages. True paint correction is hourly. And for us it’s about $85/hour. 

Agreed. Looking forward to reading your reviews and seeing results.

6 hours ago, ObsessedDetailer said:

Thats so cool! Wish i had enough customers to make one of those worth buying or the Rupes nano

This was way cheaper than the nano, provided you have a polisher to power it. We have a nano and use it a ton. This will just bring us to that next level around emblems as needed or to polish out exhaust tips or painted calipers. 

And food for thought if you’re building a business, you need to do things to set yourself apart from other detailers. There’s a lot of competition out there from other business and those with a detailing “business” who are really hobbyists doing it on the side for cash.

There is nothing wrong with people who do that, it’s how I started. But you’re also competing on price at that point and those guys can (and usually will) do it much cheaper since they just want to make money, not to sustain a business and all of it’s expenses. 

One way we combat that is to say what sets us apart from others. And that’s an investment in our equipment and training that makes it worth the extra premium to come to us.  

If you’re looking to grow your business, set yourself apart and work your media from that angle. The whole hobbyist/professional pricing strategy could be a whole separate discussion in itself. Both have merits, and both can produce the results. They just both have different mindsets in how business is run and what is needed to get there. 

Sorry for my long winded reply. 

Thanks for the Shane!  I have been intrigued with these polishers, and even if you had to purchase an inexpensive rotary it would still be less expensive that a Nano.  I am hoping someone at Mobile Tech Expo has one of these for demo.

36 minutes ago, mc2hill said:

Thanks for the Shane!  I have been intrigued with these polishers, and even if you had to purchase an inexpensive rotary it would still be less expensive that a Nano.  I am hoping someone at Mobile Tech Expo has one of these for demo.

I hope you get to use one. If you’re in the area ever, you can try ours. I don’t think this kind of polisher versus the nano is an “either or” situation. The nano is super versatile and awesome for what it does. This is that next level of areas that won’t even get. We usually use our nano with the 2” pad. This goes to 1/2” I believe. 

Hope you get your hands on one. The investment wasn’t bad at all. 

13 hours ago, shane@detailedreflections said:

Your nano has a million uses. Anything in particular you’re trying to figure out?

Just the usual. Pads v pressure v compounds. Need to grab some wool pads from Rupes and try those as well. 

Practic practice practice!

24 minutes ago, GXPaycheck said:

Just the usual. Pads v pressure v compounds. Need to grab some wool pads from Rupes and try those as well. 

Practic practice practice!

Pads should be straight forward compared to what you normally use. Same with compounds and polishes. 

My biggest advice is to let the machine/pad/polish do the work. DO NOT use extra pressure like you would a regular polisher. It just doesn’t have that kind of horsepower. 

We have never used a wool pad on ours. All foam. We use Lake Country Force pads for the nano.