Customer Service 866.965.0400

Thankful...and Thanksgiving

shane@detailedreflections

Question

Thanksgiving is right around the corner from us, and I remember last year taking a few moments and writing a post about what I was thankful for!  I figured I'd start it again where people can share what they're thankful for.  Something positive!

The last year has brought about a ton of changes for us, both a business and me personally.  On a personal level, it seems my family grew significantly and unexpectedly.  We are now a foster home for my wife's cousin's four children.  The challenges are endless, but I can say we are doing a good thing.  Despite the battles we have with DCF and occasionally the children themselves, I know they're in a better place because we've opened our home to them.  They are now safe, cared for, healthy and fed properly.  We still haven't wrapped our heads around all that they've been through and know the road will be long and full of questions but it's a journey that will shape who we are as individuals and as a family.  Thankfully my wife and I have a strong relationship and can weather the many storms this whole situation can and has brought about.

My daughter finished out her senior year of high school soccer and is going to be going to Elmira College in NY on a partial soccer scholarship to play goalkeeper for them.  She's excited, and I'm glad we were able to end the college search when we did and before our family situation changed.

Business wise...man, we've grown so much.  A little less than two years ago, I wouldn't have imagined us being where we are now.  We were just a couple of guys in a garage trying to keep some cars clean and make a few dollars.  This year we've added a new member to the team who's still learning, but killing it and putting in full effort when we give him the task.  I made a comment in our "latest work thread" as I looked back through and can see how we've grown so much.  We've been accredited by a leader in the detailing field, we've installed another bay and have it set up in a fashion that allows us to really expand our product.  So far this year we've already grown more than four times in terms of sales numbers.  The number still isn't a huge one by comparison, but I'm happy with the growth and that we've been able to keep up.  We still haven't even put money into advertising.  Everything we do is word of mouth and social media so to be able to keep work coming in is pretty awesome.  Looking back at photos, the quality of our finished products is improving.  We still have much growth to achieve and so much to learn still.  But we are making it happen!

Oh yeah, and in the spring we had our first detailing clinic which was a lot of fun for us.  It was even attended by some forum members.  We already have the next one planned and it sounds like it's going to be bigger and better.

I'm thankful for online communities such as this one.  We can learn from other members here, and have the opportunity to give back and help encourage people's enthusiasm for what they do.  When people see what they can achieve, it pushes them to do more.  We are happy to be a part of that growth and experience for members here.  I plan to stick around and answer as many questions as we can on the forum or that are sent to us!

And most of all, I'm thankful that I actually get Thanksgiving off this year and get to spend it with my family.  I can't say the same for Christmas, but it comes with the territory of my career.  I'll take what I can get and be happy.

Happy Thanksgiving.  Enjoy the time with your families and take a moment to take it all in.  We are lucky to be here.

6 answers to this question

Wow @shane@detailedreflections Sounds like you have a lot of things that you are thankful for. Congrats to you and your family. That is awesome your daughter is playing soccer in college. I am extremely thankful for everything in my life. I am thankful for all you on this amazing forum as well. Each and every one of you.  I have made a lot of friends on here and I am very grateful for that. Thanks to everyone. Be safe and enjoy the holidays!🦃

@shane@detailedreflections Congratulations to your daughter for receiving the scholarship for Elmira College.  I was born and raised about 10 miles west of Elmira in Corning, NY.   I wish her the best in her educational pursuit.   I'm thankful that we have all our systems online and mostly stable after a 2 year effort and ~32 million in cost.   Now, the real sweating starts, with ensuring we have a return on investment...  I am also thankful that my son-in-law will be returning before Thanksgiving from his 4th deployment in 5 years, my oldest this very happy we'll have all her school loans paid off by the end of the year.

I'm thankful for the success my youngest daughter is having at the restaurant since she is now the operating director, we have a few more years of loans for her since she did 6 years of school.  I'm thankful that the wife's accounting business is doing well.   I'm also thankful that the 2015 Bordeaux's that I picked out turned out to be an exceptional year and a worthwhile investment.

Finally, I'm thankful for my family and friends including the multiple new friends met through this forum.

6 minutes ago, RayS said:

@shane@detailedreflections Congratulations to your daughter for receiving the scholarship for Elmira College.  I was born and raised about 10 miles west of Elmira in Corning, NY.   I wish her the best in her educational pursuit.   I'm thankful that we have all our systems online and mostly stable after a 2 year effort and ~32 million in cost.   Now, the real sweating starts, with ensuring we have a return on investment...  I am also thankful that my son-in-law will be returning before Thanksgiving from his 4th deployment in 5 years, my oldest this very happy we'll have all her school loans paid off by the end of the year.

I'm thankful for the success my youngest daughter is having at the restaurant since she is now the operating director, we have a few more years of loans for her since she did 6 years of school.  I'm thankful that the wife's accounting business is doing well.   I'm also thankful that the 2015 Bordeaux's that I picked out turned out to be an exceptional year and a worthwhile investment.

Finally, I'm thankful for my family and friends including the multiple new friends met through this forum.

Congrats Ray. Paying off college is no small task. That’s for sure!  

More importantly is your son in laws safe return again from another deployment. Hopefully he gets some time off and a break before being sent out again if he’s needed. 

It sounds like you and your family are enjoying quite a bit of success!  Enjoy the ups while they last!

And that wine...yes please!

We've had a pretty good year.  I'm 72 now and I'm thankful that I am still in good health, still able to get onto the roof of the house without killing myself.  Thankful that the wife and I are still together and content after 46 years of marriage. Thankful for my children and two grandchildren who are growing up too quickly.  Thankful that we get to still be in their lives when so many other people don't get that chance. Thankful for my many friends who still like me enough to invite me to go  places.  Thankful for every blessing every day, and some days they are many. 

Thankful that I get to wish everyone here a Happy Thanksgiving. I hope you all get to enjoy a good meal with family and friends, a day off from work and a chance to relax.  

Enjoy your holiday gang.

Every day I am thankful to be surrounded by my dearest friends and my loving family.  Even the friends and family that are not local, they are a big part of my life.

To my parents whom I am truly honored to be their son.  I am the man I am today because of the values they believe in and the way I was raised.

To my fiancé.  She has made me realize that I can be a father like my dad was for me to my two step children whom I adore.  She’s made me realize I don’t need to be “dad” to be a good father.  It’s a slippery slope when you’re the step-dad, but she and the kids inspire me to be great every day.  Can’t wait to see her and the kids walk down the isle on our wedding day.

my career and the people I work with.  It’s a chaotic time in healthcare, but even among the chaos I love my job.

Everyone gets caught up in the day to day and common stresses of life and it’s easy to overlook the things that make us who we are and to be thankful.

Thank you Shane for starting this post.  

Happy Thanksgiving everyone