Customer Service 866.965.0400

PC 7424 or SK-15?

spepin

Question

So, I already have a Porter Cable 7424 (the old school USA made one, as well as a newer Mexico made one), but couldn't resist the Cyber Monday sale on the red Swirl Killer mystery box, so ordered one (well, two actually😉).  Anyway, my question is what to do with the PC.  Should I use both machines for particular purposes?  Are there some tasks that are better suited to the PC and some to the SK?  I know both take the same pads, so that is a huge plus.  I understand that the PC has a tighter orbit -- would that be a benefit in finish polish, or would it just take longer to achieve the same result?

3 answers to this question

Theres many good things you can do with the porter cable. 

You can put a 3" backing plate on it to do headlight restorations or you can keep the 5" backing plate on it and use a carpet brush for interiors. Both are good purposes for that polisher. 

I also have both. I converted the PC to a "mini" with the 4" pads. I actually had the 6.5" pads for it originally and they don't work well on the SK. The 5.5" work MUCH better, so keep that in mind if you are attempting to use the pads for both.

The PC has a 7mm throw compared to 15mm for the SK. You'll find jobs take much less time with the SK as a result. Not to mention a much smoother experience with less vibration.