Customer Service 866.965.0400

Wheel cleaner VS Eco wheel cleaner

Adam Tarbox

Question

8 answers to this question

36 minutes ago, falcaineer said:

Several differences. The Eco version has no iron activator, an eco-friendly formula, and a MUCH better smell are a few. More can be found on the product page:

https://adamspolishes.com/shop/exterior/wheels-tires/adam-s-eco-wheel-cleaner-16oz.html

I saw that, perhaps I failed to clarify my question. When it  one to over function and cleaning, is one better than the other, minus of course the lack iron remover? 

8 hours ago, Adam Tarbox said:

I saw that, perhaps I failed to clarify my question. When it  one to over function and cleaning, is one better than the other, minus of course the lack iron remover? 

If your wheels are absolutely trashed, then go wheel cleaner. If your vehicle usually generates a lot of brake dust, then go wheel cleaner. Eco wheel cleaner is good for light duty jobs. 

In my experience, I don’t see the need for eco wheel cleaner. Mainly because, just regular car shampoo and water  gets the same job done. 

8 hours ago, Adam Tarbox said:

I have both in my arsenal and use use Eco 80% of the time.  Here is how I decide which to use.

When I get older vehicles that have not been maintained and the wheels require a full decontamination, I reach for the regular wheel cleaner.  I do plenty of older vehicles, some that haven't even been washed in multiple years.  I usually start by washing the wheels with soap and water and junk towels.  Then once I can identify that fact they are actually wheels, I go to the Wheel Cleaner.  Some of the wheels are so bad it takes multiple rounds of wheel cleaner and sometimes some APC for tough spots.  I had one vehicle that sat under a pine tree for almost 5 years and had moss growing on the wheels, if that gives you and idea of some that I do.

For maintenance washes, the Eco Wheel Cleaner works fine and the smell doesn't choke you.  The once exception is the Range Rover, I don't know what is about the combination of the brake pads and wheels, but they get nasty very quickly.  I end up hitting them with Wheel Cleaner about every 3 months to keep them looking good.

On 12/16/2018 at 7:37 AM, Hamilton Detail said:

If your wheels are absolutely trashed, then go wheel cleaner. If your vehicle usually generates a lot of brake dust, then go wheel cleaner. Eco wheel cleaner is good for light duty jobs. 

In my experience, I don’t see the need for eco wheel cleaner. Mainly because, just regular car shampoo and water  gets the same job done. 

^^^This, this, and this!^^^

Meh. Great video (and I am head over heels in love BTW...but that’s a separate topic), but still, eco is a lost in the middle product.  I get what she’s saying in the video, but...it still doesn’t “do” anything. And that’s my hang up with the product.  If your wheels are in horrible shape or need (iron) decon, this is not the product.  If your wheels are relatively cared for and just need a tune up, it does nothing.  It doesn’t decontaminate, it doesn’t lift or loosen the stuff on the wheel, it doesn’t create a no touch cleaning situation, etc.  Now you’re in a situation where you need to mit wash anyways. If you’re doing a soap/water mitt wash anyways, this product buys you nothing. It’s a wasted step. I’ve ran several experiments at home under different conditions, different levels of brake dust/driving debris and it has never made a difference. Even if I used it as a pretreatment to my bucket/mitt wash, it still didn’t make the wheel any easier to wash than had I not used it. Look, I’m the biggest Adam’s fan as the next guy, but gotta say, for me, this item is just a placebo. I guess the only use/benefit I could see is if you are using it at face value like she does in the video, and using that in place of a soap bucket/mitt wash.  I didn’t try that.  But still, it still won’t do any better than soap and water on cared for wheels. 

Edited by galaxy