Customer Service 866.965.0400

Drying techniques

vcordaro

Question

Where can I find a good video/document on drying techniques?  I have heard that a lot of scratches can be introduced during drying.   I want to learn the proper technique to use when using the waterless wash and detail spray to minimize scratches.  I have watched the waterless video a few times with the yellow lambo, and he only wipes the car like two times.  I have seen in other videos where it talks about folding the towel properly and applying a full surface to wipe with.  A long clean pass and then flip it?   Do I do one straight path till the spray dries and then I can go back and forth?  If the spray does not dry in one pass do I make another pass in the same direction on the same side of the towel.  I know these sound like stupid details, but the more I can do to prevent errors while detailing I would like to do so.  

15 answers to this question

Most swirls/scratches are due to inferior microfiber towels.  If the surface is cleaned with a high quality mitt (an y Adam's mitts or sponges), none of the Adam's drying towels will add swirls.  When using Waterless Wash you have to move to a clean section of the MF towel often  - every section/half section, depending on how dirty the area is (and plan for several towels for an entire car).

And one big 'secret' is the less touching the better - don't wipe the area just to wipe something!

The less you touch the paint, the fewer swirls/scratches you will have. I use a Master Blaster or Sidekick on the good cars. Good clean drying towel with Detail Spray or  HGG treatment on the DDs. 

Aussie Big Boi blowers are coming available in the US now although Adams doesn’t sell them (yet). 

Edited by GXPaycheck

3 hours ago, Cranky1962 said:

I like using a leaf blower to do most of the job , then a drying aid with two micro towels and mostly padding the car were possible ..

I do exact same thing. I bought the Ego blower off Amazon. About $200 w decent battery..cordless. Works great.  

Then Sometimes use DS, sometimes CB as a drying aid. 

There is a minor risk with leaf blowers of them grabbing contamination out of the air and accelerating it into the paint. The Master Blaster and Sidekick  have filters for this issue. I have a sidekick and it works great to get all the hiding water out of the nooks and crannies, even off the large panels if the protection is pretty fresh.

12 hours ago, PacificNWBuckeye said:

There is a minor risk with leaf blowers of them grabbing contamination out of the air and accelerating it into the paint. The Master Blaster and Sidekick  have filters for this issue. I have a sidekick and it works great to get all the hiding water out of the nooks and crannies, even off the large panels if the protection is pretty fresh.

No risk using a leaf blower, that's just a sales pitch from the filtered tool manufacturers.  Some of the best detailers I have seen use leaf blowers on their own rides.  I still kick myself for wasting money on my master blaster.  Way too bulky to drag around the car and the heated air eventually melts the glue that holds on the hose coupler and now it won't stay on longer than 5 minutes before shooting off the end of the blaster.

Wow.  That has to be the first negative review I have ever seen of a Master Blaster.  (Admittedly - I haven't LOOKED for negative reviews....)

I love my Sidekick but have never been able to swing the high cost of an MB.

If you use a leaf blower for other yard tasks, I would guarantee that the inside of the blower is filthy.  When using a leaf blower in the yard, you are kicking up lots of dirt and debris, and this gets sucked right into the blower.  If in doubt, take the leaf blower nozzle or tube off and run a hose through it into a bucket.

The other disadvantage of using a leaf blower is that it is awkward to get into tighter areas, to work the water out of the nooks and crannies.  With a hose on the Master Blaster, or adding a hose to the Sidekick, you can easily direct the air in any direction.  Also, the rubber nozzle on these is much safer to use near your paint compared to the hard (and perhaps dirty) plastic nozzle on a leaf blower.

With the 30 foot hose on the Master Blaster, there is no need to drag the unit around.  This hose is plenty long enough to reach all around my truck.  I have had no issues with the hose coupler coming off, after 3 years of use.

41 minutes ago, TheWolf said:

If you use a leaf blower for other yard tasks, I would guarantee that the inside of the blower is filthy.  When using a leaf blower in the yard, you are kicking up lots of dirt and debris, and this gets sucked right into the blower.  If in doubt, take the leaf blower nozzle or tube of and run a hose through it into a bucket.

The other disadvantage of using a leaf blower is that it is awkward to get into tighter areas, to work the water out of the nooks and crannies.  With a hose on the Master Blaster, or adding a hose to the Sidekick, you can easily direct the air in any direction.  Also, the rubber nozzle on these is much safer to use near you paint compared to the hard (and perhaps dirty) plastic nozzle on a leaf blower.

With the 30 foot hose on the Master Blaster, there is no need to drag the unit around.  This hose is plenty long enough to reach all around my truck.  I have had no issues with the hose coupler coming off, after 3 years of use.

This. Using a leaf blower is fine...provided it’s dedicated to the task at hand. I promise no serious detailer is using the same leaf blower they do the yard with on their clients cars. I wouldn’t even risk having to redo what we just did by doing that. 

We use our master blaster and have had no issues with it. 

So the moral is...if you’re using a leaf blower buy one dedicated to the task and only use it for the task. 

1 hour ago, TheWolf said:

If you use a leaf blower for other yard tasks, I would guarantee that the inside of the blower is filthy.  When using a leaf blower in the yard, you are kicking up lots of dirt and debris, and this gets sucked right into the blower.  If in doubt, take the leaf blower nozzle or tube off and run a hose through it into a bucket.

The other disadvantage of using a leaf blower is that it is awkward to get into tighter areas, to work the water out of the nooks and crannies.  With a hose on the Master Blaster, or adding a hose to the Sidekick, you can easily direct the air in any direction.  Also, the rubber nozzle on these is much safer to use near your paint compared to the hard (and perhaps dirty) plastic nozzle on a leaf blower.

I bought mine back in the day and it came with the 10’ hose.  Really stiff and like I said, came loose after a few years of use.  The machine itself works great.

2 hours ago, camaro2ssblack said:

I bought mine back in the day and it came with the 10’ hose.  Really stiff and like I said, came loose after a few years of use.  The machine itself works great.

The 30' hose makes a big difference, and I think this one is fairly flexible.  It might be worth upgrading the hose, to get some use out of the expensive machine.

https://www.metrovacworld.com/parts/30_Hose_for_Master_Blaster_MVC_56MB_30MVC_56MB_30

Jumping in here. I have the Master Blaster with the 30' hose, and it's one of the best things I own. There are two levels of air so you don't have to use the full force when not needed. The thing is really easy to get to all sides of the car in the garage. My ONLY issue has been that we can't have the washer, dryer, or dishwasher running at the same time or I trip a circuit.  Otherwise, I don't see me ever being without it. Been at least 3 years now, and still going strong.

On 12/28/2018 at 9:04 AM, camaro2ssblack said:

No risk using a leaf blower, that's just a sales pitch from the filtered tool manufacturers.  Some of the best detailers I have seen use leaf blowers on their own rides.  I still kick myself for wasting money on my master blaster.  Way too bulky to drag around the car and the heated air eventually melts the glue that holds on the hose coupler and now it won't stay on longer than 5 minutes before shooting off the end of the blaster.

Metro Vac has a fix for that. Call them for the updated nozzle.