Jump to content
Customer Service 866.965.0400

New member, first time detailing


LuckyKorean
 Share

Recommended Posts

Hi everyone. I’m Jason. I currently drive a Mercedes Benz C300 in metallic gray. 

 

I love cars and like keeping them clean. But I always neglected my car... just used the pay and spray car washes, occasionally auto drive through car wash(touchless and touch) during the winter. 

Interior fared better as I always vacuumed and wiped down without any trash lingering. 

 

Recently I started browsing reddit and occasionally saw cars pop up from AutoDetailing section. Every time I would think “My car could look so much better like that”... fast forward to today I just got my shipping confirmation on my first Adam’s and detailing product order! 

 

Past few days I been creeping in all random threads on this forum, especially in the Mystery box part! I got a bunch of questions from reading this and that. 

 

But since it’s winter I decided to start by learning Rinseless wash with one bucket method. My hands get awful dry during the winter. 

 

So my first order consists of: 

Limited Edition Mystery Bucket 

Rinseless Wash 

Limited Edition Bucket(it was $1-2 cheaper I think!) 

 

Got the shipment tracking info today and total weight is 18.5 lbs. Wonder what it is! Says 2 packages. One is 5.4 lbs, I’m guessing that’s Rinseless + empty bucket? 

 

Either way I’m excited! At worst I’ll miss some things I’ll need which I can order separately. From seeing the Mystery thread, Bucket mystery seemed like a great place to start. The Trunk was tempting $99 for $200+ but I felt I could use the bucket... I have none and wanted a lid unlike Home Depot Bucket. 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, mc2hill said:

Welcome Jason!  That sounds like a very heavy package, maybe contains a gallon of something?  

 

@LuckyKorean You did not mention you ordered towels for you one bucket Rinseless wash, so I have you have lots of quality microfiber towels on hand for this method. 

 

A gallon would be a great start... of an addiction hahaha. 

 

I have tons of new Sam’s club microfiber but read it’s not recommended on paint. I saw most Mystery packages come with couple towels so I ordered some Edgeless 600, Pluffle and glass microfibers from The Rag Company cause they had a good sale. I’ll compare and pick which the ones I like to purchase more of. As for Sam’s towels, it was bought under $0.50 each I plan to use and toss after dirtying them. 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, LuckyKorean said:

 

A gallon would be a great start... of an addiction hahaha. 

 

I have tons of new Sam’s club microfiber but read it’s not recommended on paint. I saw most Mystery packages come with couple towels so I ordered some Edgeless 600, Pluffle and glass microfibers from The Rag Company cause they had a good sale. I’ll compare and pick which the ones I like to purchase more of. As for Sam’s towels, it was bought under $0.50 each I plan to use and toss after dirtying them. 

 

 

 

For RW, Adam's Double Softs are the recommended ones to use. The cheap ones won't pick up dirt nearly as well, likely smearing it, and they can induce micro scratching as a result. Not recommended for paint, as you said, but they work just fine for door jams, engine bays, and wheels in my experience.

 

The non-glass towels you got are 600 and 400gsm, while the Double Softs are 920gsm. Can't vouch for how the ones you got would work, but Adam's are softer. Even the SST are 800gsm, for comparison.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, falcaineer said:

 

For RW, Adam's Double Softs are the recommended ones to use. The cheap ones won't pick up dirt nearly as well, likely smearing it, and they can induce micro scratching as a result. Not recommended for paint, as you said, but they work just fine for door jams, engine bays, and wheels in my experience.

 

The non-glass towels you got are 600 and 400gsm, while the Double Softs are 920gsm. Can't vouch for how the ones you got would work, but Adam's are softer. Even the SST are 800gsm, for comparison.

 

 

Whoa I didn’t know Adam’s were that much softer. I just saw many recommend TRG for Towels so I bought towels there and chemicals at Adam’s. 

 

https://www.theragcompany.com/eagle-edgeless-600-16-x-16-microfiber-towel-grey/

This is the one I got for RW

 

Honestly new to all the different types of Microfibers... I always just bought the cheap Sam’s Club ones, at 40-50 cents/towel it did the trick for random household uses. Now I’m looking to pay $10+ per towel I’m not used to it :( 

 

That said, I’ve read that it’s recommended to wash microfiber before use. So I took some of the cheap Sam’s towels(new) and washed them(warm cycle with Dreft detergent) cool air dried in the dryer. But it’s linting, I can see tiny straight lints all over glass when I use it. 

 

Because of that I’m scared to wash the new more expensive towels I bought. Thinking about washing warm cycle then air drying it on a rack. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, LuckyKorean said:

Whoa I didn’t know Adam’s were that much softer. I just saw many recommend TRG for Towels so I bought towels there and chemicals at Adam’s. 

 

https://www.theragcompany.com/eagle-edgeless-600-16-x-16-microfiber-towel-grey/

This is the one I got for RW

 

Honestly new to all the different types of Microfibers... I always just bought the cheap Sam’s Club ones, at 40-50 cents/towel it did the trick for random household uses. Now I’m looking to pay $10+ per towel I’m not used to it :( 

 

That said, I’ve read that it’s recommended to wash microfiber before use. So I took some of the cheap Sam’s towels(new) and washed them(warm cycle with Dreft detergent) cool air dried in the dryer. But it’s linting, I can see tiny straight lints all over glass when I use it. 

 

Because of that I’m scared to wash the new more expensive towels I bought. Thinking about washing warm cycle then air drying it on a rack. 

 

This article has all you need to know about caring for your more expensive Microfiber towels.

 

 

And heres a great video about the differences:

 

 

 

Theres's nothing wrong with what you got, it's just they aren't as optimal for the Rinseless process. High quality towels are some of the most important parts of the detail process. Investing in them also means properly caring for them. You'll be happy you did both!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, LuckyKorean said:

 

A gallon would be a great start... of an addiction hahaha. 

 

I have tons of new Sam’s club microfiber but read it’s not recommended on paint. I saw most Mystery packages come with couple towels so I ordered some Edgeless 600, Pluffle and glass microfibers from The Rag Company cause they had a good sale. I’ll compare and pick which the ones I like to purchase more of. As for Sam’s towels, it was bought under $0.50 each I plan to use and toss after dirtying them. 

 

 

 

The TRC Edgeless towels will work fine for your 'bucket of towels/Garry Dean method' single bucket wash.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Finally arrived! 

 

Left Bucket is the Mystery bucket along with the bottles and towels. 

Right Bucket is the empty bucket plus RW I bought separately. 

 

MB: $75 end up with ~$177! I’m somehow missing bucket lid and grit guard so I calculated bucket at $11. I guess they’re not included??

 

Overall I’m satisfied besides lacking lids. I spent $99 on this order thanks to 15% off on RW and empty bucket.

Total value is $206

 

I have 2 buckets no lids now 🤔 

I did get a lot of stuff I wanted from the Mystery though! 

 

Next order will likely consist of Glass/Leather care and LIDS! 

D5CDCDF7-02F3-49BE-B41C-B43FC8299753.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...