Customer Service 866.965.0400

Iron Remover as Wheel Cleaner

H0tttttt

Question

13 answers to this question

You can interchange iron remover and wheel cleaner to do the same job. They both have the same chemical. Only difference being wheel cleaner is thicker than the iron remover. 

But to answer your question, yes. Just buy one, no need for both unless you just want to blow the money. 

This past wash I did a quick iron decon (live next to train tracks, I chemically decon every 3 months or so) and sprayed my wheels while I was at it. 

When I got around to rinsing the entire car off the wheels were 85% clean after just the rinse off. They weren't washed for 2 weeks at that point. It works just fine is my point. 

For the agitation part of cleaning your wheels, after a pre-treatment of the iron remover you can just use soap and water mixed in a spray bottle for some lubrication as the iron remover doesn't have much to offer (wasn't designed for cleaning wheels). 

Minimally effective how?  Are you sure you just didn’t have much contamination and therefore much of a true “need” for it?  This happens all the time on well cared for, garaged cars. Just curious how you made that judgement. 

Edited by galaxy

3 hours ago, zw470 said:

Little to no color change and I had to throw out my Visco Clay when I was done  :(

Maybe it wasn't iron deposits contaminating your paint.

Also - the bleeding is only visible on white or very light colored paint.

9 hours ago, Beemer said:

Maybe it wasn't iron deposits contaminating your paint.

Also - the bleeding is only visible on white or very light colored paint.

Nope, it was on a silver 4Runner that had been sitting outside at a dealership for a few months, so it should have been plain as day.  I used a competitor's version on my Mustang when I still had it, and even on the Race Red you could see it working from a mile away.

1 hour ago, zw470 said:

Nope, it was on a silver 4Runner that had been sitting outside at a dealership for a few months, so it should have been plain as day.  I used a competitor's version on my Mustang when I still had it, and even on the Race Red you could see it working from a mile away.

OK.  Just trying to help.  Seems to work great for the rest of us....

I gotta agree with beemer. If you didn’t see the color transfer, then any contamination you know you had on the car wasn’t iron. Just kinda really that simple.  Not completely accurate or fair to say it didn’t do anything.  Just because it was sitting outside for a few months doesn’t automatically mean it has (iron) contaminats. My vehicles go a year and I get very little, if any, iron bleeding during spring cleaning. 

Edited by galaxy