Customer Service 866.965.0400

Do I NEED to Clay After Using Iron Remover?

H0tttttt

Question

Hi, there. Brand-new 2019 less than two months old. Purchased iron remover primarily because i want to use it on my wheels (it shares many properties as Adam's wheel cleaner) and give my panels a good coating to check for iron deposits. However, i'm a novice and scared of claying my new car (yet). So do i NEED to clay and polish after using this? Also, is this safe on trim like chrome and plastic? Thanks! 

6 answers to this question

No, you don't NEED to clay or polish after using it. A blast of water will remove the IR residue leaving your bare surface. Then just wash the car as usual. But if you want to find out if clay would benefit you - and I bet you'll find it will - do the baggie test. First, rub your bare hand over the paint. You likely won't feel much besides just the surface. Now, place your hand inside a Ziploc bag and lightly rub over the same spot. Feel any bumps? Those are embedded contaminants the clay/clay mitt will remove. Clay can cause some marring in the paint, though, so just be aware if you decide to clay but don't plan to polish just yet. I don't know where you are in the country, but if it's winter weather there, you can just wait till spring to polish.

Being a novice, I understand your reluctance to try something new. But honestly, don't be afraid to clay. It's a straightforward process that will pay dividends, even for a new car. Here's a video on using the the clay or clay mitt (my preference).

18 hours ago, H0tttttt said:

Hi, there. Brand-new 2019 less than two months old. Purchased iron remover primarily because i want to use it on my wheels (it shares many properties as Adam's wheel cleaner) and give my panels a good coating to check for iron deposits. However, i'm a novice and scared of claying my new car (yet). So do i NEED to clay and polish after using this? Also, is this safe on trim like chrome and plastic? Thanks! 

I would do the baggie test to see if your paint & glass needs clayed.

3 hours ago, red94chev said:

You can clay hard smooth surfaces. Glass, paint, and chrome, headlights/taillights.  

You cannot clay rubber trim or plastictrim/paneling.  (I've used clay to remove road paint from textured plastic trim but that is not a normal use.)

Sorry, I meant Iron Remover on trim :)