Customer Service 866.965.0400

What’s wrong with my windshield?

LuckyKorean

Question

I tried RW for the first time yesterday. All went well, I found it easy and definitely cleaner. 

After the wash I tried the plastic bag test on paint and glass. Both feel very bumpy! 

So now I’m going to clay to fix that, haven’t decided if I’ll use bar or those new mitt things. I will not be polishing afterwards. 

I plan to CLAY, then apply BG and H2OGG. Any suggestions and tips would help, not sure which should go on first BG or H2OGG. 

But there was a problem when I checked the windshield. It’s got all these micro specks, I always had some but now it’s a LOT. Could RW or the towels I have created more? Or is the likely culprit the Rain X 2 in 1 Cleaner and Rain repellant I been using the past year? I’m thinking maybe the Rain X filled in the specks, making it less visible but I wiped it all clean?

I’m not sure. I attached pictures, I plan to buy Adam’s Glass sealant and trying that after claying the glass. Would it help? 

1C43FD8D-FB94-4FB3-B4AF-3AE29B0DC3AE.jpeg

51C74286-CA6D-4E00-8ECB-DBECF2C4A48A.png

12E041E8-AABD-4E44-B475-7CEF6B96250E.png

14 answers to this question

I would try the clay on the glass first and see if that helps, if you can feel them and they are raised try a razor blade, if they are not raised, you could always try some #0000 steel wool and see if it is just something on the glass itself. 

I have used rain x before and have not found it to have a filling property, but since then I am sure they have changed formulas and also offer more products. So anything is possibly esspecially if it is a polymeric product. Glass is very tough so damaging it durring any of these processes is rather difficult. 

15 minutes ago, pirahnah3 said:

I would try the clay on the glass first and see if that helps, if you can feel them and they are raised try a razor blade, if they are not raised, you could always try some #0000 steel wool and see if it is just something on the glass itself. 

I have used rain x before and have not found it to have a filling property, but since then I am sure they have changed formulas and also offer more products. So anything is possibly esspecially if it is a polymeric product. Glass is very tough so damaging it durring any of these processes is rather difficult. 

I can feel some of the specks with my fingernail. I plan to order the clay and give it a shot. 

Do you think applying Glass sealant would do anything to reduce the specks? 

I dont usually have filling results with glass sealant. If you want to solve it today I would head down to your local hardware store and try the #0000 steel wool and see if that helps or resolves it. If it does then apply sealant and move forward. 

39 minutes ago, pirahnah3 said:

I dont usually have filling results with glass sealant. If you want to solve it today I would head down to your local hardware store and try the #0000 steel wool and see if that helps or resolves it. If it does then apply sealant and move forward. 

Kinda scared to put steel to glass. I’ll try clay first then the steel if clay didn’t help. 

Use a razor blade with a long handle (like the one mechanics use to remove stickers from the inside glass) and some glass cleaner. Hold the blade at a 45 degree angle and scrape the crud off. Like clay, use plenty of lubrication. That should get the big stuff. Follow up with 0000 steel wool and/or clay. Don’t forget the lube!

2 hours ago, GXPaycheck said:

Use a razor blade with a long handle (like the one mechanics use to remove stickers from the inside glass) and some glass cleaner. Hold the blade at a 45 degree angle and scrape the crud off. Like clay, use plenty of lubrication. That should get the big stuff. Follow up with 0000 steel wool and/or clay. Don’t forget the lube!

Would the detail spray work for lube on razor blade?

As long as you're gentle with the razor you should be fine. I worked at a car dealer ship over the summer and every car windshield would get sprayed with glass cleaner and then the #0000 steel wool and it would make it much better looking for sure. that wont scratch it. Trust me. if it did, I would not have done it on brand new range rovers.

1 hour ago, LuckyKorean said:

Great. I ordered the things I need. 

Once they arrive I’ll try it out and get back. 

Wash > Razor > Steel wool > Clay > Seal

This order should work right? 

Yep, that'll work. Don't forget to clean again between clay and seal.

bg on the inside of the windshield for sure. The glass could just be pitted, in that case there isn't a hole lot you can do. I would not suggest using a razor blade, but clay really well followed up by sealant/any glass treatment. A product you might want to look into is glass parancy. It is a permanent glass coating which fills and levels glass creating a 3 year warrantied glass coating leaving your glass crazy hydrophobic as well as crystal clear for years to come. Hope this helps!

Before and after razor + clay. Not much difference after sealing either. 

I guess they got really pitted around the time I first did RW

Now I wonder if Glass sealant would prevent further pitting. Or a huge rock could fly at and chip my glass so I have excuse to replace it 🙄 

5C7F6565-7569-4A90-B634-5DE53622109A.jpeg

9C34FA3D-3060-4784-A6D9-57E0CFC6262B.jpeg

8 hours ago, LuckyKorean said:

Now I wonder if Glass sealant would prevent further pitting.

I guess it could a bit since it's a sacrifical protective layer like wax is for paint. But ultimately, the glass is still susceptible to rocks, etc., even with the sealant added.