Customer Service 866.965.0400

Need help with order of using products

LuckyKorean

Question

Hi this will be my first time detailing. I ordered a Mystery Bucket before and did RW, found my windshield is dirty and before I got to do anything I got sick and ordered some more products. Everything is arriving today. 

Things I have to work with:

Ultra foam shampoo

Rinseless wash

Iron remover

Detail spray

Wheel cleaner

ECO All purpose cleaner

Glass cleaner

Leather and interior cleaner

Leather conditioner 

VRT

Tire shine

Glass sealant

Glass boost

Brilliant Glaze

H2O guard and gloss

Visco clay kit

Clay mitt

Some products look like they have similar use, like VRT and Tire shine. 

On my next day off I plan to do the whole car, the plan I have been running through my head...

Interior:

It’s clean, never spilled anything or any stains, regularly vacuumed and dusted. But never used cleaning or conditioning products yet. 

I plan to start by using Leather and interior cleaner, spray onto towel and wipe clean everything. Seats, dash, infotainment, steering wheel, doors.

Then follow up with Leather conditioner, a thin coat because I don’t want things too shiny but I’ll have to spot test to see how I like it. (Not sure if I want it on my steering wheel?) 

After that I need to take care of glass so I’ll clean with Glass cleaner then apply Brilliant Glaze on interior windshield(Haze be gone please) 

Might apply VRT to door panels but haven’t decided yet. Will test it out on trunk black plastic trim first. 

I shouldn’t need Glass sealant or boost on interior right? Sounds like a pain to do. 

Metallic Gray Exterior: 

Never clayed, never hand washed till last week. Definitely never sealed/waxed. Few rock chips. Probably some scratches. Ok more scratches. Wheels never properly cleaned. Windshield has tiny specks. 

1. Rinse at pay and spray

2. Spray Iron remover all over, Wheel cleaner on wheels then rinse using pressure washer at pay and spray, drive home. 

3. Using Glass cleaner I’ll clean the windshield then apply tons of Detail spray while cleaning with razor blade. Wipe down with Glass cleaner again then use Detail spray with Clay mitt. 

4. Clean glass one more time then apply Glass sealant, wipe down with Glass cleaner. Then top it off with Glass boost. (I really like clean glass) 

5. Rinseless wash inside garage with one bucket of towels. 

6. Open Visco clay kit, using tons of Detail spray I’ll start claying panel by panel. (Plan to use Clay mitt for glass and Visco clay for paint) 

7. I’ll skip polish, honesty too scared as this is first time detailing. I will use garden hose with spray nozzle to rinse after claying. (Should I need to do this? Or just wipe down? Or Rinseless wash again?)

8. Wheels got sprayed and rinsed with Wheel cleaner on step 2. But it’s pretty dirty so I’ll go again but this time use the Red wheel mitt. 

9. I forgot to order Tire and rubber cleaner and Tire brush! Sucks because I have VRT and Tire shine. I’ll try using ECO All purpose with coarse boar hair brush to scrub tires till they hopefully foam white. 

10. Apply VRT/Tire shine to my tires. (Which one first? Or only one? I’m scared of sling) 

11. Applying H2O! Since my paint will be dry I’ll use a damp Double soft to apply and dry Borderless grey to wipe down. For wheels I’ll use cheap microfiber to apply. (Should I H2O on wheels? H2O vs Glass boost on windows?)

12. Brilliant Glaze. I’m not sure if I should apply it on top of H2O. Opinions would help. I currently don’t have waxes. 

13. Show off a clean shiny car to start 2019 :) 

Some questions and concerns:

1. The biggest concern I have is that I’ve read I should ALWAYS polish after claying. I did baggie test, my car is very grainy/sandy. Scared to polish right now, plus no equipment. Hopefully it’ll be okay? 

2. I didn’t get Paint sealant because my Mystery Bucket had H2O. I read that Paint sealant lasts longer and since I decided to clay, wondering if I should have gotten it. I’m thinking I’ll use H2O alone during this winter(South US) then later when it’s warmer I’ll use Iron remover(it’ll strip H2O off right?) then apply paint sealant without claying again. Or should I clay again? 

3. My parents are getting older and I want to wash their cars. They have 2 White SUVs. All 3 of our cars are 2015, 2016 and 2017. None of them been clayed or any detail done. I plan to do the same process for them but to be honest I’m expecting my Visco clay to be too dirty to use after my car. I have the Clay mitt I used for glass too. Parents cars are white, should I use Clay mitt or get a new Visco clay? Or skip clay altogether for now, just regularly apply H2O till it’s warmer and I’m applying Paint sealant, do all 3 cars after claying theirs? 

Sorry it’s a long post, thanks for reading. 

Just really excited to get my car clean :) 

5 hours ago, LuckyKorean said:

Do you wipe off the residue with towel or let it dry then rinse off? 

I wiped the DS off when I was claying panel by panel. Worried about extra scratching but felt weird to leave brown DS to dry on paint. 

You can actually go straight from clay residue to HGG, no need to wipe clean between. The HGG process will remove/blend it in.

6 hours ago, LuckyKorean said:

You were so right about the Clay mitt. I don’t think I’ll open the tub of Visco again. If mitt does mar the paint it didn’t mar enough on my gray car for me to see much difference. I’m gonna use the Clay mitt for parents cars as well now. Maybe Visco for the hood but anything else I’ll mitt it up.

I get one right every once in a while 😉. But seriously, there's nothing at all wrong with the clay, it's just that the mitt saves so much time. The risk, as you said, is some potential for additional marring, but that's where adding more lubricity helps. You also don't get the satisfaction of seeing the grime as you do on the clay.

Should I be worried about getting some WC on brakes or is it all good long as I rinse it off after scrubbing? 

Nope, don't worry about it at all. It'll come off either by scrubbing and rinsing, say with the lug nut brush, or when you first apply the brakes. Remember, the wheels need to be cooled off before using the WC...don't apply to hot/warm brakes or wheels.

my wife even mentioned how slippery the doors are now 😃 👍 

Happy wife, happy life!