Customer Service 866.965.0400

?

CoonHound693

Question

7 answers to this question

Personally I wouldn’t go compound to finishing polish. Especially if it’s a dark car. Light cars are more forgiving with skipping steps. So that may be a factor.

But keep in mind polishing one spot may make it stand out from non polished areas as well. Food for thought. 

19 minutes ago, shane@detailedreflections said:

Personally I wouldn’t go compound to finishing polish. Especially if it’s a dark car. Light cars are more forgiving with skipping steps. So that may be a factor.

But keep in mind polishing one spot may make it stand out from non polished areas as well. Food for thought. 

Ok thanks.  It’s a red jeep.  I was only going to use the blue compound on the spot where the tree branch hit, then finish the entire door with the white Finishing polish.    Can I use the microfiber cutting pad with the white polish first instead of blue, or will it be a waste of time?

43 minutes ago, CoonHound693 said:

Ok thanks.  It’s a red jeep.  I was only going to use the blue compound on the spot where the tree branch hit, then finish the entire door with the white Finishing polish.    Can I use the microfiber cutting pad with the white polish first instead of blue, or will it be a waste of time?

Depending on the depth of the scratch, why not try finishing polish and see if it comes out?  It doesn’t have huge cutting power, but it’s the least aggressive method. One step at a time. And that way you don’t go more than you need to. 

6 minutes ago, shane@detailedreflections said:

Depending on the depth of the scratch, why not try finishing polish and see if it comes out?  It doesn’t have huge cutting power, but it’s the least aggressive method. One step at a time. And that way you don’t go more than you need to. 

Thanks much appreciated 

@shane@detailedreflections alluded to it but as a general rule, least aggressive first is best; that is, unless you're u have a lot of experience and can tell by looking. So FP, CP, then HCC. But depending on how deep the scratch is, even the HCC won't get it all. If you run your fingernail over the scratch and it catches, that's a pretty good indication it's gone through the clear coat and will need more than compound and polish...in other words, wetsanding may be the last and only resort. However, you might be able to minimize it some with the polish and HCC. Any pics?

10 hours ago, falcaineer said:

@shane@detailedreflections alluded to it but as a general rule, least aggressive first is best; that is, unless you're u have a lot of experience and can tell by looking. So FP, CP, then HCC. But depending on how deep the scratch is, even the HCC won't get it all. If you run your fingernail over the scratch and it catches, that's a pretty good indication it's gone through the clear coat and will need more than compound and polish...in other words, wetsanding may be the last and only resort. However, you might be able to minimize it some with the polish and HCC. Any pics?

It’s definitely through the clear coat.  I was just gonna try to make it look better for him.  I never wet sanded before, and don’t feel comfortable doing it on someone else’s vehicle.  I’m just gonna hit it with the finishing polish to blend the best I can.  If he wants I can use the orange polish when I comes in.  

1 hour ago, CoonHound693 said:

It’s definitely through the clear coat.  I was just gonna try to make it look better for him.  I never wet sanded before, and don’t feel comfortable doing it on someone else’s vehicle.  I’m just gonna hit it with the finishing polish to blend the best I can.  If he wants I can use the orange polish when I comes in.  

There really isn’t a need to even offer more polishing in that area. It won’t change fhe appearance much if it’s through the clearcoat and will thin it out where it’s already damaged. You could do it, but there isn’t much benefit to be had I guess. 

Even if the scratch is through the clearcoat, even wetsanding won’t solve the problem unless you’re going to wetsand and reapply clear coat. Wet sanding removes deep scratches from clear coat. Once the clearcoat is gone, paint is the solution. There’s no quick fix for it. You could do a Dr. Colorchip repair kit or similar to attempt a repair. Build it up. Let it cure. Wetsand or polish it down. 

Edited by shane@detailedreflections