Customer Service 866.965.0400

Ceramic on Shoes!?!?!

SS LeadFoot

Im glad im not the only one that had that thought!!

I was thinking Adams Fabric Protector..but thats hard to come by.   Ceramic Spray coating was my second thought...but i dont think that would be a good choice bc the coating hardens..would most likely look like crap

when dry.    

I just ordered a rain repellent online.  Assuming its similar to Adams Fabric protector. 

Well I am glad that I am not the only one who was thinking this. I was also thinking about ceramic spray. Figured they are leather so couldn't hurt. Plus the laces are fabric so should work there also. Might order some and try it on an old pair first.

I've heard Adam's will be at Street Car Takeover Indy tonight so if I can pick up a bottle for cheap, I'll try it out and report back.  I have a pair of Nike CMTR shoes that are a mesh type material. 

I wouldn't have thought of using any of the ceramic line on my Under Amour shoes, but it sounds like a pretty good idea.  I have used Leather Condition on them and it does keep the black looking good.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been heavily considering doing this. first trying it on some older shoes to see how it reacts.

With leather or a smooth surface (non fabric), I would guess that you would apply it with a towel, not sure about going over it a second time with a towel.

With a fabric or nappy surface, I would guess that application would be spraying for coverage and that's it.

To be clear, I haven't attempted this yet, these were just my planning thoughts on how I would do it.

Edited by Yo-Yo Ma's Cousin

So now that I’m done with my test, I realize I picked the wrong shoes for the test. I’ll explain later-

i also learned a few things because I made a mistake haha

so I used Ceramic Spray Coating on one old shoe and used the other as a “before”.

these shoes are like 2.5 years old and I took them out recently right after I had cleaned them up, and they got all muddy in a surprise rain.

IMG_3145.thumb.jpg.34430305df128b046a397b5d3f30ddf9.jpg

anyway I started by trying to clean the dirt off the upper of the shoe with an interior brush. Then I used something comparable to a surface prep to clean and get the outsole as close to naked as possible.

0F09D9B9-EF66-4BA6-9F7C-1010AA0A0182.thumb.jpeg.1e264a472c65d9b6675de9540c8df7f4.jpeg

Then I sprayed Ceramic Spray Coating for coverage all over the upper and I sprayed directly onto the outsole. For the upper that’s all it took was letting the spray do it’s thing. For the sole and some of the smooth plastic pieces, I went over them with a towel to spread out the product (nothing special since I wasn’t worried about scratching paint).

Once I was done I realize I forgot to wear gloves. You know, Like an idiot. So I spent the next 20 minutes washing my hands with dawn soap. I about broke out the compounds and polished my left hand off. Anyways, WEAR GLOVES. Eventually I remembered I had Adams Hand wash, that took care of my ceramic coated hand with ease. 

(Video: Shoe on left is uncoated. Shoe on right is coated) Have been having a hard time trying to embed the video so that nobody has to download it, they can just watch. Any tips on how I can do that?

I mentioned this was the wrong shoe to do the test on. The reason being because it's made of a knit material, and therefore it's very permeable and porous. Differences in appearance may be that it made the red a little bit deeper, but it's hard to tell given the characteristics of the fabric already give it a darker look. The white is a little bit whiter, and the black pieces by the heel are definitely a deeper and nicer black. The feel of the fabric is pretty much the same, but the feel of the white sole is significantly smoother and slicker. You can see in the video that there are some hydrophobics especially compared to the uncoated shoe on the left. Ultimately the knit material will not stop water. The coating in the case of a shoe like this would be good for keeping dirt at bay and making the cleaning of this shoe easier, but it will not keep my feet dry.

Given that I chose the wrong shoe, I am trying again today with some older leather shoes to see how they react to ceramic coating.

IMG_3157.thumb.jpg.cbafc618241e8c15af27c4552e700010.jpg

I will update when the curing process is finished and I have seen hydrophobics.

IMG_3156.thumb.jpg.b5cc4408c5f3cd6a96018434cca08581.jpg

(Picture is showing how much product I used from this 8oz bottle. Probably about 1 oz for all 3 pairs of shoes... feels like a lot of product for not a lot of shoes)

Update:

see this video for the “before” of my old leather shoes. Also please let me know if anybody  can help me to embed videos into the post so I don’t make everybody download.

I have waited about 3.5 hours for the  ceramic spray coating on the shoes to cure. On the leather, I used a sprayed directly on the shoes and used a towel to spread evenly. On the other shoes I used the same process as above, but used the towel more often for application since there were more plastic/smooth pieces as opposed to fabric.

In appearance, the leather looks slightly enhanced. Not a lot but that’s probably because these are really worn down and the color is pretty faded to begin with. And on the Nike shoes, I saw no difference to the fabric material. But the soles and the plastic prices all came out looking very nicely. Hydrophobics are there. They weren’t totally impressive, but they’re certainly there and definitely better than nothing. I don’t think I trust this process to keep my feet totally dry (which was not exactly my goal, but just info for those that may be interested in that). In the video when I pour water onto the plastic pieces holding the laces, you can see some water get behind there and soak the fabric. So I realized I need to be more diligent about the application process. I need to take the laces off and make sure I am able to cover every part of the shoe with ceramic spray coating on order for this to be truly successful. 

Thoughts?

Yo-Yo Ma's Cousin this is a great write up! I can't see the videos but it could be because of my work computer.

My order will arrive on Saturday. Unfortunately, I will be in VA beach :) I will try this on my all white Nikes which are brand new and then on a different pair that need to be cleaned. I will take videos and do a write up but it may take me a week or two.

4 hours ago, SS LeadFoot said:

Yo-Yo Ma's Cousin this is a great write up! I can't see the videos but it could be because of my work computer.

My order will arrive on Saturday. Unfortunately, I will be in VA beach :) I will try this on my all white Nikes which are brand new and then on a different pair that need to be cleaned. I will take videos and do a write up but it may take me a week or two.

Thanks! 

Yeah, I'm gonna try to figure out how to post these videos without them being fussy. Not sure how to do that yet.

Seth, if you haven't yet, you should really try this stuff on your vehicle. It's special.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok i started the process. I started with old sneakers. I cleaned them first then applied the ceramic spray. I used a lot. I then let it sit for about 2 minutes them wiped it down with a cloth. First pic is the before. 2nd pic is the old sneakers compared to the new ones that I will do later. 3rd is with the ceramic spray drying on it. I will let them sit overnight and then see how they do tomorrow night when I get home from work. I will say this, the ceramic spray worked on my drive way.

1.jpg

3.jpg

3 a.jpg

Edited by SS LeadFoot

Ok so I finished up and all I can say is that it is not worth it at all. I see very little difference. I am not going to post the video. If you want to see it send me a message and I will text it to you. Warning it's not worth it. Lesson learned: save this stuff for the car. I might try the shower glass and the granite counter top though.

Edited by SS LeadFoot

3 hours ago, SS LeadFoot said:

Ok so I finished up and all I can say is that it is not worth it at all. I see very little difference. I am not going to post the video. If you want to see it send me a message and I will text it to you. Warning it's not worth it. Lesson learned: save this stuff for the car. I might try the shower glass and the granite counter top though.

I agree. It makes a small difference. But not worth the time or product.

I found a competitors fabric protectant that actually worked very very well.

• 1 year later...
On 8/16/2019 at 8:42 PM, Yo-Yo Ma's Cousin said:

Update:

see this video for the “before” of my old leather shoes. Also please let me know if anybody  can help me to embed videos into the post so I don’t make everybody download.

I have waited about 3.5 hours for the  ceramic spray coating on the shoes to cure. On the leather, I used a sprayed directly on the shoes and used a towel to spread evenly. On the other shoes I used the same process as above, but used the towel more often for application since there were more plastic/smooth pieces as opposed to fabric.

In appearance, the leather looks slightly enhanced. Not a lot but that’s probably because these are really worn down and the color is pretty faded to begin with. And on the Nike shoes, I saw no difference to the fabric material. But the soles and the plastic prices all came out looking very nicely. Hydrophobics are there. They weren’t totally impressive, but they’re certainly there and definitely better than nothing. I don’t think I trust this process to keep my feet totally dry (which was not exactly my goal, but just info for those that may be interested in that). In the video when I pour water onto the plastic pieces holding the laces, you can see some water get behind there and soak the fabric. So I realized I need to be more diligent about the application process. I need to take the laces off and make sure I am able to cover every part of the shoe with ceramic spray coating on order for this to be truly successful. 

Thoughts?

How does it feel in practice? Did it help you to keep your feet dry? I consider using this ceramic spray but not sure if it really can be waterproof in real life.