Customer Service 866.965.0400

Prepping my wife’s car for ceramic

Eswear

Question

I washed and clayed my wife’s car and I tried to get some of the marring out of her paint (tunnel wash defects) with the orange pad and correcting polish with no luck. Could I try a different pad with the same polish and get more cut? I don’t want to get too crazy cause I’m still learning. What do you guys recommend?

17 answers to this question

1 hour ago, Eswear said:

I washed and clayed my wife’s car and I tried to get some of the marring out of her paint (tunnel wash defects) with the orange pad and correcting polish with no luck. Could I try a different pad with the same polish and get more cut? I don’t want to get too crazy cause I’m still learning. What do you guys recommend?

I'd try the blue pad wih Heavy Correcting Compound or Sprayable Compound. You can use the Correcting Polish and Orange Pad as a second step in the correction process.

2 hours ago, Eswear said:

Some pictures might help give you the best advice.

17 minutes ago, Amiguel6 said:

I'd try the blue pad wih Heavy Correcting Compound or Sprayable Compound. You can use the Correcting Polish and Orange Pad as a second step in the correction process.

+1. You can also mix & match pads/polishes (Heavy Correct on an Orange Pad, Correcting Polish on a Blue Pad, etc) for a little more/less correction, as needed.

The general rule is start least aggressive. I only mention it because you are just starting out. Another...don't chase perfection. It'll drive you insane. But you can get close. 🙂

That said, what has been your process? Have you only tried one pass, or more? Crosshatch, working until the polish flashes? Several poinds of pressure vs. just lightly polishing? Personally, since you're just learning and likely didn't want to think you'd cause issues, I recommend you give it another try with the CP and orange foam pad. Tape off a 2'x2' section (blue painters tape, no locking edges) and work that area first. If still no luck, to keep it simple, just move up to the HCC or, my recommendation, the new Sprayable Compound, with the microfiber pad. Work slowly and in a crosshatch pattern. Once you see what works for the smaller area, use that for the rest of the car, touching up as needed with more aggressive polish/pad.

When done, you'll likely need to go back over with CP and orange foam pad, or maybe FP and white foam pad to rid the area of any haze.

13 minutes ago, falcaineer said:

The general rule is start least aggressive. I only mention it because you are using starting out. Another...don't chase perfection. It'll drive you insane. But you can get close. 🙂

That said, what has been your process? Have you only tried one pass, or more? Crosshatch, working until the polish flashes? Several poinds of pressure vs. just lightly polishing? Personally, since you're just learning and likely didn't want to think you'd cause issues, I recommend you give it another try with the CP and orange foam pad. Tape off a 2'x2' section (how painters tape, no locking edges) and work that area first. If still no luck, to keep it simple, just move up to the HCC or, my recommendation, the new Sprayable Compound, with the microfiber pad. Work slowly and in a crosshatch pattern. Once you see what works for the smaller area, use that for the rest of the car, touching up as needed with more aggressive polish/pad.

When done, you'll likely need to go back over with CP and orange foam pad, or maybe FP and white foam pad to rid the area of any haze.

i had the perfection talk in my head as I recognize that I can get tunnel vision with things  like that Hahahaha. First thing I need to do is install better lighting in the garage so I can see the product flashing. Thanks for the help guys!

15 hours ago, Eswear said:

i had the perfection talk in my head as I recognize that I can get tunnel vision with things  like that Hahahaha. First thing I need to do is install better lighting in the garage so I can see the product flashing. Thanks for the help guys!

In addition to adding light.. I’d make sure to pull the car out into the sunlight as you correct the paint, you may see things outside that didn’t show up in the garage

4 hours ago, tlbullet said:

In addition to adding light.. I’d make sure to pull the car out into the sunlight as you correct the paint, you may see things outside that didn’t show up in the garage

I tried that and I don’t know if it’s the color of the car or what but it’s hard as hell to see the defects in brighter light

1 hour ago, Eswear said:

I tried that and I don’t know if it’s the color of the car or what but it’s hard as hell to see the defects in brighter light

Some colors do make it hard to see the marring and sometimes you have to get at the right angle to see it.  I've found that according to where the sun is at by putting on and taking a pair of sunglasses can help pick out the marks.  Generally if you can't see it with the naked eye or prescription glasses, then it isn't going to be noticed by anyone.  However, that is assuming that you have enough light to be able to see the vehicle itself...

After completing a correction, I was leaving work one night..the LeD lighting must be different than what I have in my garage...I noticed a ton of swirls that I couldn’t see during the day or in my garage.    Obviously not practical to detail at night!!! But just crazy how everY light is different.  
angles are also kEy .. The more ways you can look at it the better

Edited by tlbullet

8 hours ago, Chris@Adams said:

Like the others said do a 2x2 section and do not move on until you have it corrected.

I would say that you are not putting enough down pressure on your pad and probably moving the machine too fast. Most do this when starting out.

I tried putting pressure on it but it looked like the pad was stalling. I wasn’t putting a lot of pressure on the machine. 

3 hours ago, Eswear said:

I tried putting pressure on it but it looked like the pad was stalling. I wasn’t putting a lot of pressure on the machine. 

Here's a trick of the trade...put a line on the back of the pad or backing plate so you can tell the speed it's going. As long as that line is moving along, so is the pad.

What speed were you running it? 

On 10/6/2019 at 6:11 PM, falcaineer said:

Here's a trick of the trade...put a line on the back of the pad or backing plate so you can tell the speed it's going. As long as that line is moving along, so is the pad.

What speed were you running it? 

I started at 1 to spread the polish and then turned it up to 6 

I finally got it done!!!! The ceramic coating is from chemical guys unfortunately because I got it as a gift lol. I was really impressed with the sprayable compound and the orange pad, it finished out super clear with no hazing. Thanks for all the suggestions. 

8D15883F-406E-4674-A93B-57E1C3A36838.jpeg

E996E5A8-0EA9-41F7-A9FC-1FFE02D77399.jpeg

F97C3E39-2B62-4575-AE9A-3A18C96B9CD4.jpeg

34BC5713-7668-48F7-B1D4-BE0E2520A960.jpeg

36 minutes ago, Eswear said:

I finally got it done!!!! The ceramic coating is from chemical guys unfortunately because I got it as a gift lol. I was really impressed with the sprayable compound and the orange pad, it finished out super clear with no hazing. Thanks for all the suggestions. 

Looks WONDERFUL. Nice Job.