Customer Service 866.965.0400

Preparing for Spring 2020

RayS

The insulation that had been going up north, which actually made sense, starting arriving in the south and mine was delivered on Saturday.   I've been spending some time in the garage getting it installed, I even took a half day today since it was about 80 outside and worked in the garage.   The forklift operator was rather surprised to find a residential garage that he could drive in.  His forklift was 8 foot 6 inches and he cleared the door by 6 inches - at least I didn't have to move two pallets inside by myself.

Once I get all the insulation installed, gaps filled and seams taped, then the furring strips will go up and I can cry when I go to purchase the plywood.  I keep hoping that the price will go down some more, but that seems unlikely at this point.

There is still no word on when the correct door rails are going to arrive.  The door was supposed to follow the roof line and what arrived with the door were standard rails.  At least the company was able to install the door and they know they are not getting paid until the correct rails are installed.  I guess that is the one benefit of purchasing the door from the company the also manufactures it.    I absolutely love the door opener, it is so quiet and being mounted on the wall by the door is is completely out of the way.   The upper left corner of the garage door is the opener, the black box.

I think I finally have my ceiling designed with a way that will allow for direct or indirect lighting based on what we are doing with vehicles or just hanging out having a glass of wine. Here are a couple of pictures with the recent progress 

IMG_1151.jpg

IMG_1152.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

It has been slow, yet steady progress on getting the insulation in while waiting on the correct garage door tracks to arrive.  I was informed on Friday that they were expected to be in Columbia today and should be installed in the next couple of days.  Once the tracks are installed then I can complete the insulation around the door and ceiling, then it is on to a little foam and tape, which shouldn't take much effort.

IMG_1166.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

The correct rails for the garage door finally came in and were installed.  Now the garage door follows the roof line so it will not interfere with the lift once we get that installed.   We continue to make steady, yet slow progress.

I did end up with something in my driveway that wouldn't fit in the 9'x16 door, but it didn't stop me from making it look better. 

IMG_1198.jpg

• 4 months later...

It is summer of 2022 and I finally have the plywood on the walls and it is starting to look like a garage inside.  The summer has been a challenge between the heat, the loss of my mother and my wife's father, so the structural work has been going real slow.

We're finally at the point to start focusing on the ceiling which will follow the pitch up to the center section which will be installed as a flat section.  Once the ceiling is in, I'll be able to mount all my lights permanently along with the putting in the ceiling fans.  From there I'll finish the walls and install the cabinets and workbench.    The first 8 feet of the walls, the yellow pine plywood, will most likely just be painted.   

I'm still undecided on what I want to do with the upper section of the walls, the Plytanium.  There won't be anything installed on the upper part beyond a speaker and a few lights, so it is more about what will look good and be easily maintained given how high it is.   If I can find the right Mustang and Bowtie lights, that would make it easier to figure out what to do with the ends.  

Yes, I know the the lawn mower is dirty.  It will get a proper wash, polish and Graphene coating this winter.

Fall is getting closer and the temps will come down and make it possible to work outside for more than a few hours in the morning.

IMG_1297.jpg

Edited by RayS

• 3 months later...

The comments about the garage from @Richand @Bigdave_185reminded me that I had not updated this thread in a while.  Activity has certainly been ongoing with the pieces slowly coming together between trips to Upstate NY, Wisconsin and multiple runs to Florida. 

The walls and ceiling are all installed and primed, the lights are wired and I'm almost set to install the ceiling fans.  Son-in-law #1 and I are going to make custom trim since he has a router table.  The first picture is with all the lights on, which I do not expect to be doing very often, but there are not dark areas of the garage.  The second two picture show that I've actually started putting up some of the essential items and have started moving some of my Adam's products in.   The last picture shows the ceiling as a work in progress.

A few more nice weekends and I should have the painting done, trim up and be ready install the cabinets and such.   Then all that is left is the floors in both garages and all the accessories and tools can start moving in.  As for when the lift will go in, that is just a question of when everything else gets done.

IMG_1379.jpg

IMG_1385.jpg

IMG_1386.jpg

IMG_1392.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I have finally completed enough of the ceiling and trim plus hung up some art that it is time for an updated picture.  The flag on the right has the USCG logo for the stars and was hand crafted by a local veteran.   I probably have another 2 or 3 weekends on the ladder and then it will be on to the cabinets, workbench, metal pegboard and remaining wall mounted stainless steel shelves.   

I'm sure hoping that I can have all my equipment and chemicals moved out of the wife's garage and in place before the spring shining season starts.image.thumb.jpeg.a3bfca227f8046a71f50bd88629e27e8.jpeg

• 1 month later...

I finally have the workbench fully installed, including the metal pegboard, TV and various other accessories. 

The mild winter helped me keep progressing with staying warm enough in the garage to do the straining the coating on the cabinets and top only needing 2 or 3 days between coats.  The ceilings fans also helped by circulating the air and pushing the warmer air down from the ceiling.  They have timers built in so I could turn them on to run for multiple hours, so the temp pretty much always stayed above 50, even on the coldest nights.

Now it is matter of getting the pegboard arranged the way I want it and then slowly move the tools out of Mary's garage.   I'm still working on the little things and some are getting closer to being ready to be worked on.  I'll put in a cable management system for the wires around the workbench, getting the fire extinguishers mounted and getting many more old license plates so I can finish the upper part of the side wall.   I have all the wood for the sound enclosure for the air compressor, I just need to get the sound tiles to build that.

I'm ready for detailing season to get started and ten the rest of the Adam's items will move in, excluding the gallons which I'll leave the climate controlled room in Mary's garage. 

IMG_1509.jpg

• 6 months later...

I managed to complete another project on the garage over the long weekend, which was 5 days long for me.   After taking everything out of my garage and the wife being nice enough to let me put it all in her garage, I coated my floor.  The weather was excellent and it wasn't difficult to do it was a matter of following the steps and paying particular attention to the preparation.    It was really surprising how many marks were on the floor, yet I know the floor was clean. IMG_1693.thumb.jpg.6ca4a3aa50c16a4fccf450647b3e17ea.jpg

To make sure I would have the optimal bonding of the coating to the concrete, I did the three step process for cleaning.  Degrease the bad spots, sand the really bad stops and the use the Citric Acid with a triple rinse to ensure it was fully etched, which got the floor to this condition.

IMG_1699.thumb.jpg.5f8c24a79299f4cc9377b29277bdade7.jpg

The tape around the wall is one single piece with the exception of the overhead door. If you have never had to tape along a floor, it is one of the easiest places to tape.  Just lay the tape roll on the floor, unroll it the length of your arms and press it in place.  If you do need get some touching the floor, just trim it with a razor blade or box cutter.   For the tape across the door threshold, you can go up to the door, under the door or all the way to cut.  I decided that I wanted the coating to be partially under the weather seal, so the tape is aligned to the middle of the weather seal.   

The tape on the left side floor, follows a stress cut since I had a concern of having enough material, and if I ran short, it would have made it easy to have a set line to star the next round after running to the hardware store.   Fortunately, the 2.5 garage kit was enough to cover the floor, but would not have been if I didn't have the cabinets in place.  The garage is 31x23 and the floor is smooth with reduced amount of coating required.

Here are the results of the Coating + Chips + Clear
IMG_1703.thumb.jpg.44ee51099bdb118ac22902a98a6561cb.jpg

This is this post cleanup with the center lights turned on.

IMG_1710.thumb.jpg.2dae227ee751a8e358a1d40da2bf7ce3.jpg

If you are thinking about doing this to your garage, I can say that to me it was absolutely worth it.  It took me 5 days of about 5 hours per day to get it done.  You need to complete each step, let the floor thoroughly dry, find any spots that need more attention and then move forward.   If the instructions say you can do light walking after X hours, double that time just in case you have spot that hasn't dried enough otherwise you might leave a foot print - no need to ask me how I know, albeit light, I will know it is there.

When spreading chips, ceiling fans on low speed are great, medium speed not much and high speed creates a mess.  Throw the chips in the air and let them settle, you can always add more chips if you want a deeper pattern, I liked the look of the medium density so that is what I went for.  If you forget to throw the chips and have gone 8 feet instead of 4 feet, let's just say you have to throw them very hard to get them to the desired area - I only made that mistake once.     Water or Sweat on the floor while you are doing the coating or clear top coat is a bad thing, you'll get a bubble or round gap.  It was warm, so I can show you each spot where there was a drop, fortunately there were only a couple, after that I kept a shop rag in the back pocket to immediately take care of the moisture.  

Overall for being my first time coating a floor, it wasn't bad, a second person to help would have been nice, but wasn't required.  The outcome of the floor, even with my few foobars, has made me happy and the wife, so I'll get to do her garage next. 

Now that the floor is done, I get to build my custom shelves to replace the metal shelves that I had in there, which will go into the wife's new shed which we ordered today.  Other tasks are installing the baseboard molding, getting the rest of the art put up and building the portal workbench.   The last thing is to convince the wife that we are not going to find a good condition used lift, so I need to purchase a new one.