Customer Service 866.965.0400

Ceramic Coat application "flash time"

06Z06DSOM

Question

Just spent the day applying Adam's Ceramic UV coating.  First time using a ceramic coat, looks great but I was super scared of letting it sit too long I had some "runs" on my wheels from leaving it too long.

Its covered in a light purple glow under the light, some places darker than others but for the most part pretty even.  My question is how do you know when for sure to wipe it off???

I'm pretty sure I didn't leave it sit long enough.  You could kind of see colors and it looked like it was evaporating a bit then wiped it off...but it really didn't get "tacky" I started letting it sit long enough for the polishing cloth to drag a bit.    I may have enough for another coat...although it looks great and the car will be in the Garage. 

Thinking about doing the boost tomorrow morning and call it good.  But wan to order another couple of kits and do my other cars!!

cerm1.jpg

Edited by 06Z06DSOM

7 answers to this question

Time to remove varies with amount applied, temp, humidity, etc. In general, 2-5 minutes is a pretty good rule, but mileage will vary. You mention tackiness, and that's a better way to judge.

Take a plush Microfiber towel (Borderless Grey work great) folded in quarters, and very lightly - no pressure - drag it a bit over the coating. If it slides easily, it's too soon to remove it. Once it starts to drag and get tacky against the coating, then it's time. Another good rule is to remove it in the same order you applied it, that way you allow it to bond at about the same rate across the panel.

If you're n doubt, you could apply a second layer. Just wait 1-2 hours before doing so.

Hope that helps!

Thank you!  If I wait 24 hours is that too long for a second co  If I could do it tomorrow morning I might talk myself into it.  Otherwise I may just let it roll for the summer and practice some more on the wife's dark gray car.

24 hours may be too long. The second coat may not adhere to the first coat and be almost, or completely wiped away. I believe it'd be best to use your flashlight to look over the car to identify thinner spots of the UV Tracer (close all the doors, and turn out the lights) and apply to those sections. My thought is you're closer to the bare paint in those sections, with a better chance for adhesion.

One thing I do is lightly wipe the Ceramic Coating with one of the Micro Suede towels to feather it after about two minutes, wait another two minutes and buff off the residue with your towel of choice. I use the Edgeless Utility Towel to do my final removal as it's a very thin towel and doesn't remove too much of the remaining Ceramic Coating.

Bummer.  It is a pretty even glow all over.  I would use the light as applying then after wipe I would go over again to confirm.  I'm guessing I was way too aggressive on the wipe off after closer to 1 minute 45 in about 60 to 65 degree garage with cloudy sprinkling weather outside.  I looks great and I think I'll just roll with it for the summer (garage kept) and in the fall go at it again.  Should be much easy to do a detail, rather than the "restore detail" I've been doing.  Thinking the same thing on the wheels again (I need them to look as good as your BRZN!)  BTW I'd love to add a SOM or DSOM (not sure) GTO to my garage.  They are beautiful cars!!  I had a H/C WS6 SOM on Fikse FM5's loved that car!

If you can see an even glow over the entire car with the flashlight, you've got it covered. Wash the car with Wash & Coat, dry using CS3 as a drying aid, I like to keep all my door jambs clean using Ceramic Waterless Wash after I dry the car, and wipe her down with Ceramic Boost every few washes. You should be set for years!

Edited by BRZN