Customer Service 866.965.0400

Ugh...Need Correcting Polish Back!

galaxy

Question

Had a fairly minor swirl touch up job on a trunk lid today. Polish (nor the old Finishing Polish) would do the job.  The old, orange Correcting Polish on a white pad knocked it  out of the park. Didn’t even need to go back over with Finishing Polish it was so good. 

So the question begs...I did not have the new Compound, but I’m guessing that would have been too aggressive, no?  And even if I had it and it achieved my goal, it would have required a once-over with Polish to finish out, where the Correcting Polish did not. 

Whats the middle ground here?  No way you guys can tell me Compound would have done what was needed AND finished out in one step?!?!

Anyone have an old Correcting Polish for sale, LOL? 

P.S., the only other thing I had (Adam’s anyways) was One Step Polish. Would that have fit in somewhere?  (No, I didn’t try it) 

Edited by galaxy

21 answers to this question

I've used and had success with the Compound and Blue foam pad as a single step correction, so yes, it actually can be done. The Compound took the place of both Heavy Correcting Compound and Correcting Polish. That said, every car and paint is different, so it's possible Polish would be needed, as well.

One Step doesn't cut as well as the Compound or finish as fine as the Polish, it can be thought of as the middle 75% of the job. The pad is also very aggressive, actually moreso than the microfiber pad, so it may very well cause haze like Compound could. Again, every paint and car is different.

Oh, and no selling of Adam's chemicals on here 😉😁

I'll add to Chris above.

I think of the middle ground you're asking for, being the new Blue Foam Pad with the Compound, and yes, it finishes down quite nicely with this combination on all I've tried it on but the darker colors.

Most Aggressive - Compound on Microfiber Pad

Middle Ground - Compound on Blue Foam Pap

Finish - Polish on New White Foam Pad

I only used Compound on this car between Christmas and New Year's using the Microfiber Pad, and finishing with the Blue Foam Pad:

Z90hDdV.jpg

EB0uRSq.jpg

NMSamD1.jpg

kmR3dcu.jpg

Thanks guys. I’ll bite the bullet and give it a try then! 

I guess then it should still remain true that you could back off slightly on the Compound cut by using a white pad instead of a blue, no?  I haven’t tried the new blue pads yet either, but seems logical.  I don’t own nor work on anything in a condition where I’d ever need the cut of a microfiber pad.

I thing honestly, I just reeeeaaallllyyy have an emotional hang up with the word “compound”, LOL.  

Edited by galaxy

Remember  it all depends on the clear coat. I have had some that it takes all 3 pads, MF, Blue Foam & White Foam. And on other clear coats all it take is one step with Compound & Blue foam pad. That's why it's important to do a 2x2 test spot so you will know what it's going to take.

14 hours ago, galaxy said:

Had a fairly minor swirl touch up job on a trunk lid today. Polish (nor the old Finishing Polish) would do the job.  The old, orange Correcting Polish on a white pad knocked it  out of the park. Didn’t even need to go back over with Finishing Polish it was so good. 

So the question begs...I did not have the new Compound, but I’m guessing that would have been too aggressive, no?  And even if I had it and it achieved my goal, it would have required a once-over with Polish to finish out, where the Correcting Polish did not. 

Whats the middle ground here?  No way you guys can tell me Compound would have done what was needed AND finished out in one step?!?!

Anyone have an old Correcting Polish for sale, LOL? 

P.S., the only other thing I had (Adam’s anyways) was One Step Polish. Would that have fit in somewhere?  (No, I didn’t try it) 

Shooting you a PM, I've got some of the older stuff lying around.

Edited by TGHaworth

6 hours ago, galaxy said:

Thanks guys. I’ll bite the bullet and give it a try then! 

I guess then it should still remain true that you could back off slightly on the Compound cut by using a white pad instead of a blue, no?  I haven’t tried the new blue pads yet either, but seems logical.  I don’t own nor work on anything in a condition where I’d ever need the cut of a microfiber pad.

I thing honestly, I just reeeeaaallllyyy have an emotional hang up with the word “compound”, LOL.  

The White Foam Pad would not correct as well with the blue Compound, so I would stick to the new Blue Foam Pad, or the old Orange Foam Pad if you still have them. To me, the new Blue Foam Pad operates very similar to the orange pad; however it does have improvements over the orange pad. The cell structure of the new blue pad allows the chemical to spread much more evenly over the face of the pad, rather than have it remain blobbed-up in 3 or 4 spots where you apply the pea-size drops of Compound. The new blue pads also handle heat better, meaning they do not get as squishy as the orange foam pads do once they get some warmth in them. 

I understand your hang up on the word "compound", but I think you will find that the new blue Compound works and operates very similar to the old orange Correcting Polish. The new Compound does cut a little more, but it is still very easy to use, very low dust, wipes away easily, and finishes down great on most colors using the Blue Foam Pad, as Dave mentioned above. I'm using it with our Microfiber Cutting Pad and the One Step Pad on a very neglected black C5 Corvette at my house right now, and with as much pressure and speed I'm having to use to cut through this clear coat, it is leaving significant haze, but the White Foam Pad and white Polish took care of that no problem. Out of the hundreds of cars I've detailed in the last 15-20 years, this one takes the prize for most neglected and difficult vehicle I've ever worked on 😮 If you want to see some pictures, check out my thread here: 

Dan, thanks for the confidence boost. Completely understand and agree with your pad tutorial, but for this descent job, a little less correcting power was my goal, thus my white pad selection.  It was a new white pad though. And like I originally said, it was the perfect tool for this job I was doing. I only wish I could photograph so that I could get great before and after shots. 

47 minutes ago, galaxy said:

@Dan@Adams With all this talk about the Correcting Polish, why didn't you guys mention this??

https://adamspolishes.com/collections/adams-pro-line/products/correcting-polish-32oz

Is it not the same product? 

In Dan's defense, I've been to the HQ many times, in and out of the shipping isles, and I've never seen that. The Pro Line also needs an application to be approved to buy it. Still, I asked our Wholesale team and am awaiting a reply...

Thanks Chris, wasn’t sure. I guess the size makes it the pro line?  I didn’t know one would need approval either.  I’d never used that size anyways, I’d try the Compound first.  Was just curious. 

15 hours ago, galaxy said:

Thanks Chris, wasn’t sure. I guess the size makes it the pro line?  I didn’t know one would need approval either.  I’d never used that size anyways, I’d try the Compound first.  Was just curious. 

I'm told by our blending company and our Wholesale manager it's no longer being made or for sale, but I can't explain why it's still in the Pro Line options. Maybe there's a few bottle left somewhere in the warehouse? Hope that helps, at least a little bit.

Here's another I just finished yesterday.

This 2007 daily driven 120,000 mile Dodge Magnum sits outside 24/7/365 wearing it's original paint in the pictured locations..

I polished the hood and roof using only Adam's new Compound; first with the Microfiber Pad, then followed with the New Blue Foam Pad. SK-Pro 15mm machine.

3rsQUHw.jpg

QMowxhU.jpg

glo9JiD.jpg

eRGebk3.jpg

The depth and gloss are incredible, look at all the metallic coming through in the paint. How about the reflection clarity of the neighbors house in the last pic? No need to follow up with the Polish and White Foam Pad on this color, the Compound finished down just fine.

FYI; There is Ceramic Coating on the paint.

Well, strike two for me on the new Polish. My truck is in excellent shape, but I wanted to put down new ceramic this year. Figured once over with Polish on a white pad would be the perfect recipe. Nope. Couldn’t figure it out at first, but the finish just wasn’t finishing out like I wanted it to. Got pretty aggravating.  Once I figured it out, I could go back over the new Polish with the old, orange Correcting Polish and that would actually finish down better.  Long story short, the best combo with the best finish was Correcting Polish on a new flat, white pad.  Darn near perfect.  The only thing that made it better was using the old Finishing Polish. But I don’t have enough to do the whole thing. But yeah, the new Polish just isn’t for me. 

I did have good luck with the new Compound in a few spots that needed just a bit of correcting.  But That required once over with something else behind it; either Polish or Correcting Polish.  The Compound is no where near fine enough to be left as the last step.  It needs further correcting, but you’d expect that. 

I know everyone had different luck with different products, and the surface is a big player too, but it looks like the new Polish is gonna leave a big gap for me, unfortunately. 

I've been real impressed with the Scratch & Swirl remover and as sometimes when finishing polish wasn't enough, going over the vehicle with one-step polish and either a white or orange pad, not the wool pad, before using finishing polish.  I had experimented enough and always use test spots with the least aggressive method possible.

Thanks Ray. I have some one step I could try also, but I know that should even be more aggressive than the orange correcting polish.  And that’s what I did yesterday; multiple test spots.  

Dare I say it, but I’d even compare the orange correcting polish on a white pad to Meguiars 205....which is arguably the benchmark of polishing. 

3 hours ago, galaxy said:

Thanks Ray. I have some one step I could try also, but I know that should even be more aggressive than the orange correcting polish.  And that’s what I did yesterday; multiple test spots.  

Dare I say it, but I’d even compare the orange correcting polish on a white pad to Meguiars 205....which is arguably the benchmark of polishing. 

Just for clarification, the old orange Correcting Polish is more aggressive than our current One Step Polish.

On 8/4/2020 at 6:46 PM, galaxy said:

Well, strike two for me on the new Polish. My truck is in excellent shape, but I wanted to put down new ceramic this year. Figured once over with Polish on a white pad would be the perfect recipe. Nope. Couldn’t figure it out at first, but the finish just wasn’t finishing out like I wanted it to. Got pretty aggravating.  Once I figured it out, I could go back over the new Polish with the old, orange Correcting Polish and that would actually finish down better.  Long story short, the best combo with the best finish was Correcting Polish on a new flat, white pad.  Darn near perfect.  The only thing that made it better was using the old Finishing Polish. But I don’t have enough to do the whole thing. But yeah, the new Polish just isn’t for me. 

I did have good luck with the new Compound in a few spots that needed just a bit of correcting.  But That required once over with something else behind it; either Polish or Correcting Polish.  The Compound is no where near fine enough to be left as the last step.  It needs further correcting, but you’d expect that. 

I know everyone had different luck with different products, and the surface is a big player too, but it looks like the new Polish is gonna leave a big gap for me, unfortunately. 

Jon, What color is the vehicle your working on? What make, model, year?

White F150. 2002. One owner. Paint is excellent. I know this pic isn’t the right light or angle to capture the paint itself, but trust me, the orange on a white pad was the magic trick for this paint. And I did run back over it real quick with Finishing Polish also on a white pad, but this was more of a placebo for my OCD than anything. But it did clean it up just a tiny tad, but you as to really concentrate to see it. And yes, I also know that perfect is the enemy of good, not evil, LOL.  

175DF240-D110-4677-8423-F4183CF332B5.jpeg

Edited by galaxy