Customer Service 866.965.0400

Current Project: Compounding a Very Neglected C5 Corvette!

Hey everyone! I've been working on a Corvette this past week in the evenings. It's for a friend's uncle. I think it is safe to say that in 20 years of detailing, this is the most difficult vehicle I have ever worked on. It's GM gloss black on a C5 Corvette - most will agree that this combo requires a lot of work to get right, as the clear coat is very hard and can be tough to get it to finish down just right.

It looks like this particular vehicle spent most of its life under a car cover, that was pulled on and off the vehicle, creating a lot of deep scratches in the process. Below are a few Before/After shots and explanations so far. Compounding is now complete, so I will move onto Polish and then our UV Ceramic Paint Coating Kit this weekend.

These first 2 pictures were how the car showed up to me, almost as if soap and water had been left to bake into the surface at some point. These pictures are AFTER washing and drying with Waterless Wash and clean waterless wash towels - it was far too cold and rainy outside to do a bucket wash, and there actually wasn't much dirt...this was all "baked in" to a degree. In other words, all of this spotting was so dried/etched into the surface that Waterless Wash did not remove it:

9x2J9K4.jpg

dnQJAdA.jpg

This was after claying the passenger-side hood, roof, front fender, door, and rear quarter with our Fine Grade Clay:

MTnNxb5.jpg

Claying did remove the majority of the streaking, spotting, and staining on the surface. In this photo, the passenger side was after clay, driver side untouched yet:

85bM5Td.jpg

Here are some before/afters of Compounding different areas of the Corvette. I initially started with the Blue Microfiber Cutting Pad and blue Compound, but that combination was not strong enough to accomplish what I wanted in a time-efficient manner, so I moved up to the One Step Pad with blue Compound. For those that have not used it, the One Step Pad is a hybrid design microfiber and wool pad that has strong cutting capability:

V3PeXLt.jpg

RgETFnO.jpg

The rear panel had spots of clear coat over spray in several areas, as did the lower portion of the passenger front fender. It appears these two areas and a few more appear to have been repainted at some point and not fully sanded and buffed out.

ARw9ASt.jpg

evPQNwW.jpg

Deep vertical scratches in the passenger door from another door hitting into it. There was paint transfer too, but the clay bar took care of that:

f46XZss.jpg

It looks nice in this picture, but there is still significant haze in the paint when looked at under the Color Match LED Light. The White Foam Pad and Polish will take care of that though:

3FbdaX8.jpg

Stay tuned for more. I will try to update this thread throughout the weekend :patriot:

1 minute ago, BRZN said:

Looks good Dan. The washing marks/water spots in the first couple pictures, were they there from your washing, or embedded from previous washings?

Absolutely embedded from previous washing before he brought it to me. My mind was boggled when I was wiping with Waterless Wash and clean waterless wash towels and the streaking and spots did not reduce at all! I should have clarified that. I will edit the post now 👍

I've had a few tough ones with the 10-50 year old vehicles I like to do, but nothing with that hard of a clear coat, plus being black.  The turn-around already is amazing and I'm looking forward to seeing the end results.

On 5/17/2020 at 6:02 PM, Supersport79 said:

First, let me start by saying nice SS.  Second, did you layer the coating?  If so, when did you do it, right after whipping down the first layer (entire vehicle) or did you wait and if so how long?

Dan is a busy dude and may have lost track of this one. But I can guess what he'd say, even if he didn't layer it...

Wait 1-2 hours between the first and second coating layer. There's no real benefit to doing 3+ coats, the law of diminishing returns applies, so you can stop at 2. 

Chris is correct. I only put 1 layer of UV Ceramic Paint Coating on this vette, but if I were going to apply a second layer, it would be 1-2 hours after the first layer, then after wiping away the residue from that second coat, I would allow the full 24-hour cure time. If I notice any uneven or light spots of coating using the UV LED light, I will go over those areas again, but usually I just do one layer.

To update this thread, I finished this car over the weekend. The owner picked up it and dropped off another one for me to start. The new car is in much better condition, so I've already knocked out compounding half of it as of last night - more on that in a different thread soon. Here are some interior before and after photos, a before and after of an unreleased product that Adam has already teased in one video so I think I can mention it (One Step Metal Polish & Protect).

The floor mats weren't bad, but I did pull a lot of dirt out of them:

Xs5A9cq.jpg

Dirt marks on the side bolsters from rubbing up against the plastic trim pieces next to the seat. Leather & Interior Cleaner and an Edgeless Utility Towel took care of these heavy stains no problem:

d0Yt2FP.jpg

The driver side kick panel had a large number of deep scuffs that Interior Detailer would not remove. Leather & Interior Cleaner with a Deep Clean Eraser did the trick:

I9iqptd.jpg

Pretty nice improvement I would say, sorry for the slightly different lighting:

OUTYjaV.jpg

Exhaust tips cleaned up well:

Yy0A3LT.jpg

Finally, here are a few shots of some areas of the car after being coated with the UV Ceramic Paint Coating Kit and topped with CS3. I didn't get any full profile shots of the completed Corvette, since we had to jump start the battery and he wanted to get home with rain on the way!

BL0ZsgK.jpg          Y13B9lU.jpg

FIgF3lU.jpg

4rpkgcz.jpg

NEl5MYV.jpg

Thanks for looking, and keep on shining!