Customer Service 866.965.0400

Hide scratches, swirls on ceramic coated car

EnzianF90

Question

Hi! I’m trying to figure out what sort of top layer product I can use that will hide minor imperfections (light scratches and swirl marks) on my ceramic coated car. I think typically people use a paste wax for this but seems like “internet experts” advise against using a wax on a ceramic coated car (not even sure frankly if this is consensus advice). 

I know Adams has the ceramic paste wax (which is compatible with ceramic coatings and presumably has leveling agents to hide minor scratches) but man that is expensive. 

Recommendations? Thanks!

5 answers to this question

Correct, don't add carnauba-based wax to the coating, it'll adversely affect the hydrophobic properties of the coating and negate the benefits you were after.

Adam's doesn't have Ceramic Paste Wax anymore, it's now an actual Ceramic Coating Wax, or ceramic coating in a paste wax form. I don't know if it has any leveling agents but can ask.

Remember, coatings aren't bulletproof, they still need maintenance and care. You can always do some paint correction and reapply if the swirls are localized. If all over the car, you may be better off starting all over if they're bad enough. Ceramic Spray Coating might work to "hide" some, but it depends on how bad they are.

How long has the vehicle been coated?  Scratches typically show up during the washing and drying process.  Or sometimes loving the paint too much and constantly touching it/wiping it.  

11 hours ago, EnzianF90 said:

Hi! I’m trying to figure out what sort of top layer product I can use that will hide minor imperfections (light scratches and swirl marks) on my ceramic coated car. I think typically people use a paste wax for this but seems like “internet experts” advise against using a wax on a ceramic coated car (not even sure frankly if this is consensus advice). 

I know Adams has the ceramic paste wax (which is compatible with ceramic coatings and presumably has leveling agents to hide minor scratches) but man that is expensive. 

Recommendations? Thanks!

Do you just have a few scratches that you are concerned about? If so why not just remove them (polish them out) and re-coat that area?

14 hours ago, The Guz said:

How long has the vehicle been coated?  Scratches typically show up during the washing and drying process.  Or sometimes loving the paint too much and constantly touching it/wiping it.  

6 hours ago, Chris@Adams said:

Do you just have a few scratches that you are concerned about? If so why not just remove them (polish them out) and re-coat that area?

Car is new and was coated two months ago. The scratches are very very minor, of the “only visible In direct sunlight and to a lunatic owner” variety. Probably got them while I’ve been getting my wash routine down and trying all these detailing products (so from too much new-owner love). 

I don’t really think they justify any paint correction and anyway I don’t want to encourage myself to be that OCD. Just thought if there was a product that plays well with ceramic coatings, allows me to spend some quality time in the garage wiping the car, and hides these sorts of minor imperfections that would be nice. Basically Americana paste wax but for ceramic coated cars.

I also just believe these sorts of scratches are almost inevitable so I know I can’t chase them down every few months for removal but would gladly use something that’s easy and masks them every few weeks. 

Is all that making sense? 

In that case, if it was me, I would hone your wash process, maintain with Boost once a month, and CS3/Ceramic Waterless in between and call it good. Chasing perfection is a fool's errand, IMO, and anything used to hide the swirls is only temporary anyway.