Customer Service 866.965.0400

Trim is grey and ashy after Graphene ceramic coating

Silverbugeye

Question

I have an F150 with a lot of black plastic trim. I used the Adams trim cleaner prior to the Graphene ceramic coating. Everything looked good until the 1 week mark. The trim beads water like crazy but is all white/grey/ashy colored.

mirrors, bed rails , bumper cover, side steps, windshield cowl. Everything that is black

The truck has less than 2K miles on it.

Black trim was washed, then Adams trim cleaner, then Graphene coating and no wiping. 24 hours plus in a closed garage.

Thoughts?

Edited by Silverbugeye

I'm so sorry this happened to you. I hope Adam's Polishes makes this right. It's in their best interest as many of us are following this thread with open eyes and ears.

The Directions clearly stated as you applied the product.

On another note, I have applied spray Ceramic Coatings from other manufacturers and did not have this issue. I also didn't not level It or work it into the trim pieces. I use CS3 and Graphene Spray wax from Adams and use it on the trim all the time with excellent results. I want to move up to the Graphene spray coating but after reading this thread, I hesitate to pull the trigger.

You can't advertise a product that works on all exterior surfaces and then cause these kinds of issues. BUT there is still the possibility of user error and I wish you lived closer to Adam's Polishes so you could take the Vehicle there and have them look at it. 

Adam's makes wonderful products and I have been using them for years. I just moved into Spray Ceramics a few years ago and I'm kinda afraid of the actual Coatings. I have seen so many people make a mess of their vehicles with them , not from Adams but from other brands.

Just saying here and not saying you didn't but prep is so important. If you don't prep properly , you will seal in bad stuff under a coating. Again not sayin that's what happened to you but I have seen it myself being a retired detailer.

8 hours ago, Sam992 said:

Just got off the phone with the rep that answered, and it took a good bit of effect to explain the situation, as he initially thought I was referring to the paint having high spots, and he didn't seem to understand that I completely followed the instructions 100% ... kept referring to installation errors..  anyway, he is sending me Adam's Black Trim Restorer and Black trim cleaner which he says will fix this...  I am not at all looking forward to doing the louvers especially .. all those tiny spaces. I think maybe a tooth brush will help?  

But it upsets me the way he was deflecting the issue to me though as some sort of error .... 

Let's hope this fixes this fiasco .. if not, I will escalate this somehow. 

I, too, would be very reluctant to use Black Trim Restorer. It's a dye, and the coating has already now sealed the pores in the trim so I highly doubt it'll work. In fact, it'll probably be rejected by the coating and just run off. I could be wrong, but I'm very skeptical. @Chris@Adams and @Dan@Adams have had some experience working with this issue and may have some more insight.

7 hours ago, Mantis said:

I want to move up to the Graphene spray coating but after reading this thread, I hesitate to pull the trigger.

Don't be afraid of it. It's super easy to use, and as long as you level any applied on trim, and I recommend in about half the time as you do on paint, you'll be fine. It's an awesome coating and you'll love the results.

So what has been the correction for this. I just purchased this graphene coating to do a brand new Volvo V90 wagon that has many of these "vinyl/plastic" type surfaces. Looks like I should purchase a different product. Is Adam's going to stay quiet about how to resolve the issue when it occurs?

The video, that was pointed out over a year ago, is still on youtube and I watched it before finding this thread. It clearly still states to just leave it on the trim, no need to wipe off. Why is this video still up? Thankfully I found this thread before applying.

Edited by redreevos

2 hours ago, redreevos said:

So what has been the correction for this. I just purchased this graphene coating to do a brand new Volvo V90 wagon that has many of these "vinyl/plastic" type surfaces. Looks like I should purchase a different product. Is Adam's going to stay quiet about how to resolve the issue when it occurs?

The video, that was pointed out over a year ago, is still on youtube and I watched it before finding this thread. It clearly still states to just leave it on the trim, no need to wipe off. Why is this video still up? Thankfully I found this thread before applying.

Not sure an official fix has been released, but as long as you level it on the trim as explained above, and I recommend in about half the time as paint, you'll be fine. 

1 hour ago, falcaineer said:

Not sure an official fix has been released, but as long as you level it on the trim as explained above, and I recommend in about half the time as paint, you'll be fine. 

no fix that I can see... and the advise to level it is a day late and a dollar short... I'm pissed I have to keep wiping Aerospace 303 protectant over my black trim now so my 1 year old $185K 911 doesn't look like a faded 15 year old car...  And all Adam's did was send me a $20 with of trim care and cleaner that didn't do anything to fix my problem.  Not happy. 

6 hours ago, Sam992 said:

no fix that I can see... and the advise to level it is a day late and a dollar short... I'm pissed I have to keep wiping Aerospace 303 protectant over my black trim now so my 1 year old $185K 911 doesn't look like a faded 15 year old car...  And all Adam's did was send me a $20 with of trim care and cleaner that didn't do anything to fix my problem.  Not happy. 

Sorry to hear that Sam. That's terrible. Even more insulting that they leave the video up with misleading information, I assume for more sales. 

7 hours ago, The Guz said:

Regardless of the coating always wipe off and level on trim to avoid issues.  

8 hours ago, falcaineer said:

I appreciate the advice, but after seeing what Sam went through, I'm not getting the Adam's graphene coating anywhere near the vinyl/plastic surfaces. I think I'll look for a product specifically for those surfaces. As far as coating, not sure what to use now. 

9 hours ago, Sam992 said:

I'm sorry that happened. While I can't speak to the compensation they sent, we moderators are not part of that team, what I can promise is that I will bring this to their attention again and try to have instructions and video updated. Hopefully a permanent fix is found and can help correct your issue, I'm sure it's a beautiful car.

1 hour ago, falcaineer said:

I'm sorry that happened. While I can't speak to the compensation they sent, we moderators are not part of that team, what I can promise is that I will bring this to their attention again and try to have instructions and video updated. Hopefully a permanent fix is found and can help correct your issue, I'm sure it's a beautiful car.

Well, I would appreciate that...  I mean unless they're happy to have me share my story with every Tom, Dick and Harry I bump into and talk cars with in the SF Bay Area... which is what's been happening, and guys are shocked at the lack of concern. 

4 hours ago, redreevos said:

Sorry to hear that Sam. That's terrible. Even more insulting that they leave the video up with misleading information, I assume for more sales. 

I appreciate the advice, but after seeing what Sam went through, I'm not getting the Adam's graphene coating anywhere near the vinyl/plastic surfaces. I think I'll look for a product specifically for those surfaces. As far as coating, not sure what to use now. 

Just know that other dedicated trim coatings have the potential to turn white on trim.  It is not just the Adams graphene coating.  As I stated any coating used on trim should be leveled to avoid this potential issue.  

Edited by The Guz

5 minutes ago, The Guz said:

Just know that other dedicated trim coatings have the potential to turn white on trim.  It is not just the Adams graphene coating.  As I stated any coating used on trim should be leveled to avoid this potential issue.  

yes, except they have the good sense to tell you that..  rather than encourage you to just put it on and not worry about it like the Adams videos and written instructions..   were I a more litigious type. I'd have my lawyer contact them. 

Edited by Sam992

12 hours ago, The Guz said:

Thank you Guz. I will definitely make sure to wipe off whatever product I end up using. I appreciate the advice.

*****. i didnt read this before same things happened to me... brand new Ford Escape 2021... guys from Adams polish HAVE TO FIND A SOLUTION... i saw the video on youtube this summers... i applied the product 1 week ago and bam... white plastic  trims... now the video is not online lol .

the instruction in the box said the same as other people said... no need to wipe on plastic trims... OK you will say , yeah but you need to wipe it... READ WHAT PEOPLE ARE WRITING....  they didnt wipe it BECAUSE you said in a YouTube video AND on instruction  that not necessery... 100% YOUR FAULT ....DO SOMETHING NOW ! 

we have to fix it !!! im not gonna buy brand new trims on the whole car ...you will ? 

3 hours ago, Marc-André Beaudry said:

*****. i didnt read this before same things happened to me... brand new Ford Escape 2021... guys from Adams polish HAVE TO FIND A SOLUTION... i saw the video on youtube this summers... i applied the product 1 week ago and bam... white plastic  trims... now the video is not online lol .

the instruction in the box said the same as other people said... no need to wipe on plastic trims... OK you will say , yeah but you need to wipe it... READ WHAT PEOPLE ARE WRITING....  they didnt wipe it BECAUSE you said in a YouTube video AND on instruction  that not necessery... 100% YOUR FAULT ....DO SOMETHING NOW ! 

we have to fix it !!! im not gonna buy brand new trims on the whole car ...you will ? 

We understand your frustration. As explained in the User Agreement, this is not the place to submit a complaint for action, and we encourage you to contact Adam's customer service at 866-965-0400, or orders@adamspolishes.com, they are better suited to address your issues with the product/instructions. On the other hand, if you have questions about how to use a product or the like, we are here to help and look forward to your membership.

Hi I used Ceracote ceramic coating on black plastic of jet ski and same happened went white. I didn't give enough time to dry and it got wet in rain made a real mess of plastic trim. I managed to get the ceramic coat off using vinegar and a non abrasive dish washing pad first time round trim doesn't do much but think once vinegar gets into it you then see it come off went round trim about 3 times and ceramic coating and white mess came off.  Scared to use ceramic coating again :(