Customer Service 866.965.0400

Let's talk GLASS ....

TOBASCO

Question

I know there are a number of detailing experts on this forum so I thought I'd ask these questions to get your best recommendations on glass!  Given all the available products to do different things for glass cleaning and protection, I'm sure many of you have tried various plans of attack and have found your "go-to" method.  I realize that glass cleaner and claying no doubt will be the foundation for most things, but then what?  Rain-X (ha)?  Ceramic coating?  What type?  Maintenance?

Q #1 - What is your recommendation for the best way to keep glass (mainly windshield) clean and protected, as well as maintenance suggestions?

Q #2 -  Assuming ceramic coating may be the new popular suggestion, what about maintenance?  Would you clean the glass with "regular" glass cleaner?  Would that have any affect on ceramic coating performance?  Could you clean with glass cleaner and then use something like Ceramic Boost?  I know that Brilliant Glaze used to be the recommended product, but what's everyone's opinion today?

Thanks for all your thoughts and suggestions!

12 answers to this question

I'll get this one started, because I used to totally suck at getting glass clean no matter how hard I tried, then I found a few combinations that worked and work well.  Actually too well, since now I have to do the house windows also.

Step 1, is getting the glass contaminate free.  This is more than just dirt, tree sap and other stuff that is stuck.  In my kit, I have Adam's Glass Cleaner, clay, plastic razor blades, regular car shampoo and #0000 steel wool.  Starting with the Glass cleaner and Green towel, wash the windshield.  Then go over it with the baggie test, recognizing the difference between crud and pits takes a little getting used to and sometimes it is really hard to tell.   You can clay a windshield and sometimes I do, but most of the time I use the plastic razor blade and car shampoo as a lube.  Why car shampoo, because it lubes, cleans and completely rinses off without any haze.  The #0000 steel wool is the last resort item, make sure it is the #0000 to prevent further marring and it may take some work, but will remove many items that nothing else will touch.

Step 2, Once we have all the crud off the windshield, go over it again with Adam's glass cleaner.  For the windshield, I like the Adam's Glass Sealant, followed by the Glass Boost.  In fact, when we travel I take the Glass Boost with me and that is how I clean the windshield, never using one of the gas station squeegee.   Every 1-3 months based on storage and weather, repeat the process.

Step 3, Side windows and rear window get washed with Adam's Glass Cleaner followed by Adam's Spray Wax.  Just mist a borderless grey with the Adam's Spray Wax and then go over the window, they'll take on a reflective characteristic and nothing sticks to them and I do the same for same for outside mirrors.

Step 4, The inside glass and review mirror are all done with Brilliant Glaze and nothing else.  In fact, the inside windows of the house and mirrors are all done with Brilliant Glaze as the glass on the lights.

Thanks, RayS!   This is great information, with some new ideas I hadn't thought of before.  My cars are relatively new so I don't think I'll need the more drastic approach, but good to know.

I'd also like to see what everyone is doing for the inside of the windshield, if there are any unique ideas that work, as well.

Thanks!

2 hours ago, TOBASCO said:

I'd also like to see what everyone is doing for the inside of the windshield, if there are any unique ideas that work, as well.

Brilliant Glaze, hands down one of the best product hacks to date. Do not pass go, do not collect $200.

Great suggestions here to try brilliant glaze. I'll have to do that next time I clean the interior windows.

Have you guys tried xxxxx? Lots of guys in the Lexus forums live by it. It is a bit tricky to apply and I am told it's not good for the environment, but it seems like the bond lasts for months. I only applied it to my car this past weekend- let's see how long it lasts.

I tried Adam's glass cleaner/sealer. I cleaned the glass,  used a clay bar, applied the sealer,  cleaned the glass again. I couldn't see any difference between the sealer side and the unsealed side.  Adam's says I did everything correctly. They don't know what happened.  Suggestions?

Edited by Thomasr1950
typo

Hi Tom,

What would be helpful if you could describe what you mean by "See" any difference.  What I see as different between a window that is sealed and one that is not is the way the rain runs off it when driving.  I also see a difference when I get a bunch of bugs on it and the sealed one can be cleaned much easier.

If the vehicle is just sitting and it has water droplets on it, blow on the droplets, you should see the droplets on the sealed and unseal move.  The difference is the sealed generally move faster.

Any info and details that you can provide will help us help you.

Hi Gian,

Brilliant Glaze is generally not recommended for use on the film applied to some windows to tint them.  However, when you get a vehicle that has a smoker or usage make normal washing problematic, then BG tends to cut through it pretty good.  

As for the green glass towels along with Adam's Glass Cleaner, I had not had any problem with either on the outsides of the windows.    For the inside of the windshield, I only use Brilliant Glaze.  For the inside of the doors and back window, I use Glass Cleaner and a borderless gray and it works very well.

I have been using Adams spray wax on my exterior glass on all of my vehicles. I'm very impressed with the results as well. Typically, I'm doing this after a wash and dry. I'll use some glass cleaner 1st if there is still bug residue or such left after the wash. I don't see any film, haze or streaks after using the spray wax either. I'm curious to try it on the interior? Anyone have any opinions if the results will be as good as the exterior glass?  I struggled for years with glass cleaners,  rain x, paper towels, micro fiber towels, and newspaper. Always some streaks that were irritating.