Customer Service 866.965.0400

Discoloration on GMC Sierra Interior Door Panel

Junior

Question

Detailing a relatively new GMC Denali and while cleaning the interior plastic on the door, what seemed like grease came off on the towel. I was using a grey utility towel and Leather cleaner diluted 50/50 with water. As I wiped, I noticed the color of the panel began to lighten. It appears I removed some paint or rubberized coating. Anyone have an issue like this and if so, any way to fix it?

3 answers to this question

Yes this can be a common thing with modern GM truck/suv interior panels. They seem to have a top layer material that can wear off. Usually I will see stains from rain water streaking, sweat, grease, etc, that once you start to remove the discoloration, it will then begin to remove that top layer 'coating.' So you will then need to clean the whole panel thoroughly to make a uniform appearance. Then I will follow up with Interior Detailer, Leather Conditioner, or Leather & Interior Dressing for protection.

25 minutes ago, Dan@Adams said:

Yes this can be a common thing with modern GM truck/suv interior panels. They seem to have a top layer material that can wear off. Usually I will see stains from rain water streaking, sweat, grease, etc, that once you start to remove the discoloration, it will then begin to remove that top layer 'coating.' So you will then need to clean the whole panel thoroughly to make a uniform appearance. Then I will follow up with Interior Detailer, Leather Conditioner, or Leather & Interior Dressing for protection.

Thanks Dan! I stopped short of cleaning/removing the coating entirely. Although the thought did cross my mind. I was fearful when it began to wipe off like it did 🤷‍♂️